SmartPSS tanking CPU usage when split in 4

krispy018

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello fellow IP Cam users,

I recently got introduced into a SmartPSS system with cameras and everything setup, however my task was to investigate why it is lagging.
What they meant by lagging was the CPU being tanked at 100% when the Live View cameras were viewed in a 4-way camera split.

After fiddling about with SmartPSS I have found out that changing the view to a 9 way split has 'fixed' it and the CPU is sitting at 20-30%.
Also tried doing a custom 6-way split view and the CPU was still fine, barely topping 40%. I have noticed that when you change the split the resolution of each camera/window gets changed.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this software (and IP cameras in general) however I am pretty sure the resolution of each camera window in the 4-way split needs to be toned down, however I couldn't find a way of doing so.

I appreciate any suggestions and possible fixes.

Thanks in advance.

Levin83

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There a option in smart pss for self adaptive stream. For me, if i had 8 cameras open, all of them would be displaying the substream which is in lower resolution. When i go to 4-way split, i get all 4 of them as main stream which is in higher resolution which requires more cpu power. If you want to see for sure, move the mouse cursor to any split windows and the top of it will say either main or sub stream.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to compare notes, I run a 4-way split with smartPSS taking 15% of the CPU on an i7-4770. 3 of the windows are running at 4096 kbps, and the 4th window at 2048 kbps. I'm getting the video from the NVR. SmartPSS is not talking directly to the cameras. Besides handling the bitstreams, a lot of CPU cycles must be going to decoding and display. One thing I learned was to make sure you stop any playback when you're not looking at it. If you don't, the playback is still running after you switch to the Live View window.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello fellow IP Cam users,

I recently got introduced into a SmartPSS system with cameras and everything setup, however my task was to investigate why it is lagging.
What they meant by lagging was the CPU being tanked at 100% when the Live View cameras were viewed in a 4-way camera split.

After fiddling about with SmartPSS I have found out that changing the view to a 9 way split has 'fixed' it and the CPU is sitting at 20-30%.
Also tried doing a custom 6-way split view and the CPU was still fine, barely topping 40%. I have noticed that when you change the split the resolution of each camera/window gets changed.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this software (and IP cameras in general) however I am pretty sure the resolution of each camera window in the 4-way split needs to be toned down, however I couldn't find a way of doing so.

I appreciate any suggestions and possible fixes.

Thanks in advance.
Windows or Mac version?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
This: self adaptive stream

I run 20 cameras most of the day/evening on SmartPSS and run about 35% usage. It uses the substream and when double clicking a window it opens full window using the main stream. Dont try and run the main stream on 4 or more cameras

SmartPSS-settings.jpg

krispy018

n3wb
Reaction score
This: self adaptive stream

I run 20 cameras most of the day/evening on SmartPSS and run about 35% usage. It uses the substream and when double clicking a window it opens full window using the main stream. Dont try and run the main stream on 4 or more cameras

View attachment 52472
Seems like this is the way to fix it, however I have been handed with a login that doesn't have 'admin' capabilities, and I am unable to go into any settings or configuration.

I have however played around with it and found that it is the Main Stream running on 4 cameras that is causing the lags and high CPU usage.

As a workaround, I went into the "View" tab and created a 4-Way camera split view as a Sub Stream and CPU is running at 20% now. The quality difference is barely noticeable, and when double clicked it opens up 1 camera in Main Stream with a high resolution.