SMTP email problem

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't have NVR or DVR so I create many gmail accounts so my camera can send me notifications but the emails are working for a couple of days and then it says fail when I test the email in the network tab smtp.

I can't buy DVR right now but I still want to receive notifications. Can I buy my own smtp server? Maybe then the email won't fail? Or maybe I can use other emails like yahoo? I don't know... Some of them want me to verify via phone number and that's okay but only for 1 email if the email stop working then I can't make another email because it wants phone verification. What are my options? Dahua model SD59225.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is why and a solution if wanting to stay with gmail.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. So is Gmail limited to send me for example 1000 emails and then it stops working? Because I see it sends me 700-800 emails and then stops. Then later on after many hours it sends notification again but not always.

My other question is if I do that from the video is my email going to work again? Because right now it doesnt so maybe I will need to create a new email? It's not a problem to use my phone for gmail account but for one account not like creating email every day and verify them...

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My other question is if I do that from the video is my email going to work again? Because right now it doesnt so maybe I will need to create a new email? It's not a problem to use my phone for gmail account but for one account not like creating email every day and verify them...
That very video you see is made by me.
The account shown is my primary Gmail account. I still send/receive emails myself to people/companies.

Emails from the NVR just appear in the 'sent' folder.
You could make it email to itself....? I just make it email to my main email account.

The application password does not expire until you change the main Google account password. The device using the 'less-secure apps' password will have unlimited access to the Google account.

About maximum emails... I don't know...
I only use email from my NVR for a some events. I have changed my email notification settings so that I only get important emails (Alarm contact, facial match and system errors).

I would look at changing email alerts if you are expecting more than 20 emails a day for motion/IVS alerts because who wants that many notifications...!?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless it is country specific, I suspect your emails are coming out too frequently and get logged as potential spam so they stop for awhile.

Tone down the number of alerts. Sending too many at once or close together will trigger the Spam algorithm.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unless it is country specific, I suspect your emails are coming out too frequently and get logged as potential spam so they stop for awhile.

Tone down the number of alerts. Sending too many at once or close together will trigger the Spam algorithm.
Yes it sends like 800-1000 emails for 24 hrs. Because it detects rain, flies, web etc. If I change the threshold the camera don't send notification when a car is coming. So it becomes useless.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So i created a new gmail account and I did everything in the video. I also made it to send emails to myself... But why is that? Is there a difference if it sends 500 emails to the same email or it sends it to others gmail accounts? So if it sends 1000 emails per 24 hrs is it going to stop working again? I read gmail will stop letting success to 3rd party application so what you shown in the video is a solution to that? If its stop working again can i buy my own smtp sometimes which will allow me to send 1000 emails for example per 24 hrs? And at what price? Thank you all!

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also made it to send emails to myself... But why is that? Is there a difference if it sends 500 emails to the same email or it sends it to others gmail accounts?
Lost in translation....
I suggested emailing to itself if you do not want alerts sent to another email inbox.

For 500 email limit. I understand that this is the maximum.
Make sure your NVR has nessercery alerts.

There may be an option in the NVR to limit emails. Example: maximum of one email every 5 minutes.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lost in translation....
I suggested emailing to itself if you do not want alerts sent to another email inbox.

For 500 email limit. I understand that this is the maximum.
Make sure your NVR has nessercery alerts.

There may be an option in the NVR to limit emails. Example: maximum of one email every 5 minutes.
Sorry my English is not very good. But I understand now what's the reason to send emails to the same email.

I don't have NVR or DVR. That's why it sends me so many emails because I don't have human recognition or vehicle recognition.

Do anyone know if I can buy my own smtp so I can send more than 1000 emails per 24 hrs? And what is the price?

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is why and a solution if wanting to stay with gmail.

How many times I can do that with different emails? Because when I create email it's okay for 1-2 days and then it stops sending notification because the last day it send more than 800 emails per day.. Also if you know about other email provider paid or free please tell me. I prefer to pay for email notification sender but not to create everyday new email.

MyDaHua

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have already one raspberry pi or another server in LAN you can set-up your smtp server (postfix) for free to manage emails from CCTV.
You can also integrate CCTV with HomeAssistant if you have/use and use HA notification...

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have already one raspberry pi or another server in LAN you can set-up your smtp server (postfix) for free to manage emails from CCTV.
You can also integrate CCTV with HomeAssistant if you have/use and use HA notification...
I don't have that device. I don't know what to do, what do you guys use to receive notificatios from your camera?

MyDaHua

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use my own smtp postfix server in LAN with a script that translate alert emails to MQTT messages and from there I integrate with Home Assistant ( for notification on Tv, mobile phone and some automatization ) and via MQTT directly with other Tasmotized devices that turn ON the light or alarm...
You can skip smtp server if you use Home Assistant with this integration:
or
or
or

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What others smtp server i can use for free? Or paid? And without phone number if possible because it sends many emails notification per day and the email is blocked.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What others smtp server i can use for free? Or paid? And without phone number if possible because it sends many emails notification per day and the email is blocked.
There is no free / paid email service that doesn't have some kind of spam / throttling. As the other member suggested the only real work around is to prop up your own SMTP Server. Regardless, at the end of the day that isn't your real problem as you clearly noted the hardware doesn't have Human / Vehicle filtering detection.

There are several third party software platforms that incorporate so called AI for Human / Vehicle detection. That would be a possible solution in cutting down all the false alerts and endless spam. :facepalm:

I would suggest while you consider your options as stated up above. That, you take the time to turn off all alerts on every camera except one. Dial the system back until there's an alert and stress test this (single) camera in all scenarios from day, night, walking, fast pace, to running.

This should give you a base line as to where the other cameras will should be set . . .

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no free / paid email service that doesn't have some kind of spam / throttling. As the other member suggested the only real work around is to prop up your own SMTP Server. Regardless, at the end of the day that isn't your real problem as you clearly noted the hardware doesn't have Human / Vehicle filtering detection.

There are several third party software platforms that incorporate so called AI for Human / Vehicle detection. That would be a possible solution in cutting down all the false alerts and endless spam. :facepalm:

I would suggest while you consider your options as stated up above. That, you take the time to turn off all alerts on every camera except one. Dial the system back until there's an alert and stress test this (single) camera in all scenarios from day, night, walking, fast pace, to running.

This should give you a base line as to where the other cameras will should be set . . .
What are those third party software? Can I use other emails like hotmail, mail, yahoo etc?