SMTP or SSL Email Notification Provider Solution? circa 5.3.3 5.2.5

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys I've got the below cameras. One upgradeable one not F/W circa 5.3.3 and 5.2.5

Since the google gmail change a year ago i'd been using GMX successfully for email notifications configuration below.
This stopped on all 4 cameras 3 days ago, which was working fine.

Hoping to circumvent all the many many posts re the Gmail as I've read many of them a year ago and just skip to responses that work.

thanks guys.

My question is
1) Does anyone have an email provider that works with Hikvision circa F/W 5.3.3 5.2.5? Don't mind paying.
2) is SSL an option working with any one whose the provider?
3) Is SMTP working with anyone.

DS-2CD2432F-IW- CCH cube V5.2.5 build 141201 not upgradeable
DS-2CD2142FWD-I20150727BBWR dome V5.3.3 build 150630 upgradeable
DS-2CD2132F-IS20150413CCCH dome V5.2.5 build 141201 not upgradeable

SMTP Server mail.gmx.com
smtp port 587
enable SS& NOT CHECKED
user name email
password password

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same boat with my DS-2CD2732F-IS that is not upgradable and stuck on F/W v5.2.5. GMX has been a great workaround since Gmail moved to TLS encryption, but now it looks like another solution is needed. I am watching this topic with great interest.

rsnissan

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as well! I have a couple of DS-2CD2032-I cams on firmware V5.3.0 build 150513 and GMX email worked flawlessly until 3 days ago for emailing alerts. Looks something has been changed/turned on with TSL/SSL and I can't seem to get the email alerts to work now.

calltente

n3wb
Reaction score
Same to me.
Change from Gmail to GMX one year ago, and now GMX stops working.
Trying to update to firmware V5.4.5 Chinese also failed. (My camera is R0 V5.2.8).

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
DS-2CD2132F-IS20150413CCCH dome V5.2.5 build 141201 not upgradeable
I've fully updated a couple of these recently, one was a 2132F-IWS, all the way to 5.4.5
It needed a couple of changes to mtdblock6 where it looks like the meaning of some of the fields is interpreted differently depending on the originally installed firmware. And maybe part of the original mtdblock6 data was linked to the original 'hacked to EN' firmware, but hard to know.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've fully updated a couple of these recently, one was a 2132F-IWS, all the way to 5.4.5
It needed a couple of changes to mtdblock6 where it looks like the meaning of some of the fields is interpreted differently depending on the originally installed firmware. And maybe part of the original mtdblock6 data was linked to the original 'hacked to EN' firmware, but hard to know.
Hey Alastair I think what you are able to do might be above most of us :)

Also I just want this stuff to work and not have to waste time gigging it etc.

And i'm a somewhat technical guy past networking experience Cisco; telco etc, but dont wanna do the string and wire cobble together etc. :)

I've learnt to buy the BBW updatable and pay a little more. But Ive got a few CCH unfortunately.

This SMTP thing is a real pain to me as push notifications only work for motion at these releases and you get too many.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Also I just want this stuff to work and not have to waste time gigging it etc.
That's why I spent the time exploring - so I can impart what's learned on to others. But not where Hikvision can see it, as they'll block it in the next release.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your a great asset to the community mate... special bow from down under!

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's why I spent the time exploring - so I can impart what's learned on to others. But not where Hikvision can see it, as they'll block it in the next release.
Hi alastair.

Any idea whether push notifications to "monitoring center" which is ivms4500 on my phone is linked to email somehow?

Coincidentially my motion setection push notiifcations have stopped now since last couple days with email notifications smtp provider going ssl/tls etc.

I wouldnt have thought they would be linked but its too much of a coincidence .

Trouble with Hikvision is their documentation is terrible, and their clarity on HOW a feature actually works is non existent.

cheers

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My push notifications to ivms4500 are still working fine, so I'm not sure it's related. I'm really missing the snapshot pics via email though...
This particular camera is mission critical for me, so I daren't risk hacking F/W as I just can't afford to brick my camera - or even have it offline for anything longer that a simple reboot.
Like others, I learned over time to invest a little more on my other Hikvision cams and steer clear of the Chinese versions. Shame, because other than this TLS issue it's operated flawlessly for about 3 years.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My push notifications to ivms4500 are still working fine, so I'm not sure it's related. I'm really missing the snapshot pics via email though...
This particular camera is mission critical for me, so I daren't risk hacking F/W as I just can't afford to brick my camera - or even have it offline for anything longer that a simple reboot.
Like others, I learned over time to invest a little more on my other Hikvision cams and steer clear of the Chinese versions. Shame, because other than this TLS issue it's operated flawlessly for about 3 years.
hi yeah my push notifications started again. yeah i agree email notifications are important to me as i only enabled line and intruder and so much more reliable than push notifications that only work for motion.

is this the case with you?

push notifications only work for motion?

is there a release that push notifications can be enabled for line & intruder and not motion?

doesnt work in 5.3.3 and 5.2.5

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ive been complaining to GMX suggest you do the same.

I said they've broken many many legacy devices that cant be updated.

It was forwarded to product management.

I was looking on android store to see if there was a SMTP relay application something that could take a email unencrypted port 587 and TLS or SSL it to gmail......

But would need an android/ linux/ server locally .. some others have done it.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im seeing smtp relay services like smtp2go where they accept non SSL and TLS SMTP emails on ports 25 2525 587 and deliver them onward.

But they are paid services per month. the free service does not deliver enough emails at 1000 a month.

each "sent to" is counted as one, and.on a trigger I send to my work email, hotmail email and an archive account.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But Ive got a few CCH unfortunately.
Are these in live use, or sitting on the shelf?
If you're feeling adventurous we could try tweaking the mtdblock6 to make them upgradeable.
Any idea whether push notifications to "monitoring center" which is ivms4500 on my phone is linked to email somehow?
I'm sorry, but I've never used ivms4500.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are these in live use, or sitting on the shelf?
If you're feeling adventurous we could try tweaking the mtdblock6 to make them upgradeable.

I'm sorry, but I've never used ivms4500.
these are in live use... 3 of them, 2 cubes and a dome. the other dome is upgradable.

whats the success rate with this mtdblock?

Is there a 5.4.5 s/w that is confirm bug free?
Do push notifications work for motion?
Do push notifications work for line/intrusion?
Does line/intrusion work properly?
Does it deliver more than one line crossing alarm?

Probably the question to ask is whats broken in 5.4.5?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
we all have to look forna solution else one person spends hours and hours.

found a smtp relay service mailjet who accepts unencrypted but i suspect their really long hex user password stopped it working .... e.g. the hikvision client.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is this the case with you?

push notifications only work for motion?

is there a release that push notifications can be enabled for line & intruder and not motion?
I'm afraid I don't know about this as I do not use motion or line & intruder - I use a PIR sensor connected to the camera's alarm input.

smtp2go looks like it could be a goer, but like you say, the 1000 mail limit is restrictive.

I have a Raspberry Pi running Linux that I could potentially use as a relay server, but I'm well out of my depth to be honest and would not know where to start - that applies to tweaking the mtdblock6 too...

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
smtp2go looks like it could be a goer, but like you say, the 1000 mail limit is restrictive.
Yep, i'm up-and-running with smtp2go and it's working great as a temporary fix - certainly enough time for me to work out how to turn my RPi into an SMTP relay server.

Ultimately, the best resolution would be to find a way to upgrade the firmware on my DS-2CD2732F-IS, but I consider that a high risk exercise...

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I agree the risk of upgrade.

Yes smtpgo works for me too however I might need to start paying as 1000 emails is too restrictive.

When I get a chance i'll look at socketlabs but not sure if they work without encryption.

Trouble with a smtp relay is that its another box in the house that needs to run all the time.