SMTSEC 5MP Low LIght 1/2" Sony IMX178 Dome

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
While looking at this longese LRDC60S5 low light 5MP cam that another member is reviewing over here (5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90) I started researching the camera module/image sensor (IMX178) and saw this dome camera on aliexpress

1/2" 5.0 megapixels Progressive Sony IMX178 CMOS H.265 5.0mp Vandal-proof IR IP CCTV Dome Camera(SIP-E02-500LA)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2-5-0-megapixels-Progressive-Sony-IMX178-CMOS-H-265-5-0mp-Vandal-proof-IR/32387613733.html?spm=2114.10010108.0.110.53T1fq

And this
New Product H.265 5.0MP HD IP Color 5.0 Megapixels SONY 178 CMOS High Resolution 30M IR Dome Camera Support Onvfi2.4
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cDyNKVOs

Anyone had any experience with these or can recommend another dome cam that is good in low light and is ~300AUD or less?

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
No one had experience with this on this forum yet, it has the same innards but more expensive. There are actually bunch of products with same internals and firmware, but different housing, they will most likely perform the same.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep...that's what i am thinking. The night shots though do not look that impressive to be honest...

I really need a dome (as I surface mounted my current cam - GV-VD320 and so need to fill in the hole if I replace it).

This one come with the 4mm lens as standard too...
LensStandard 5.0mp 4mm Megapixel Lens

To chance it or not ...hmmmm

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yep...that's what i am thinking. The night shots though do not look that impressive to be honest...
Hm, which night shots were you looking at? I haven't see better night shots for this price point.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, I've seen this demo and I agree it doesn't look that good, although should still be better then anything that uses 1/3". The one I am trying to get is 1/1.8" which appears to be much better based on the demo.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The image sensor in both is IMX178.

This sensor is a 1/2" sensor effective sensor.
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_pro/september_2013/imx178lqj_e.html

[h=3]Diagonal 8.92 mm (Type 1/1.8) 6.44M-Effective Pixel Color CMOS Image Sensor[/h]
[h=4]Back-illuminated Structure CMOS Image Sensor for Security Cameras and Industrial Applications Achieves High Sensitivity and High Dynamic Range[/h]Sony developed back-illuminated structure CMOS image sensor, "IMX178LQJ", supporting three formats of 4:3, 5:4, and 16:9 ratio with type 1/2 in 5M-effective pixel. Adopting back-illuminated structure with 2.4 µm unit pixel and 14 bit ADC, it provides all three advantages of high resolution, high sensitivity, and high dynamic range, which are necessary for security cameras.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The image sensor in both is IMX178.

This sensor i a 1/2" sensor.

Why do you think the longse uses a 1/1.8" sensor?
The larger the sensor the better it is for low light sensitivity

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yep. but read my post again... :)

It's the same sensor.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not looking at that cam (diff. manufacturer but same 178 sensor)...just focusing on the SMTSEC (apologies for any confusion).

1/2" 5.0 megapixels Progressive Sony IMX178 CMOS H.265 5.0mp Vandal-proof IR IP CCTV Dome Camera(SIP-E02-500LA)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2-5-0-megapixels-Progressive-Sony-IMX178-CMOS-H-265-5-0mp-Vandal-proof-IR/32387613733.html?spm=2114.10010108.0.110.53T1fq

Image it tagged as SIP-E500L SONY 178

Cam model is SIP-E2-500LA and module is a sony 178

Seems to be a fair assumption it's the same :)

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I really need a dome (as I surface mounted my current cam - GV-VD320 and so need to fill in the hole if I replace it).

This one come with the 4mm lens as standard too...
LensStandard 5.0mp 4mm Megapixel Lens

To chance it or not ...hmmmm
How can you say it's not that impressive when you don't know what the scene actually looked like to the naked eye or how it compares to other cameras?

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How can you say it's not that impressive when you don't know what the scene actually looked like to the naked eye or how it compares to other cameras?
Ummm... did you even look at the AliExpress add before you decided to have a go at me????

There are a numbe of other cameras on there incl. two other 2.oMP cam's and even an iPhone?

The 2mp's look clearer both in the daylight and agt night.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ummm... did you even look at the AliExpress add before you decided to have a go at me????

There are a numbe of other cameras on there incl. two other 2.oMP cam's and even an iPhone?

The 2mp's look clearer both in the daylight and agt night.
I've seen these pictures already and they're not enough to reach any kind of conclusion. The 'sony 222' 2mp certainly does not look clearer at night however.

Can't make any conclusion on day since none of them are fullsize photos. The other 2mp is also a low light camera which is around the same price, so it makes sense it would perform slightly better.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm...what to do, what to do.

Have received a day video that looks ok(see attached), but the supplier is having issues getting a night sample from the "engineer'. Apparently he only works days so can not get the night images.

Sounds very suspect to me...but is it just the Chinese way of saying I can not be bothered or is it that the images are crap ?

Attachments

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm...what to do, what to do.

Have received a day video that looks ok(see attached), but the supplier is having issues getting a night sample from the "engineer'. Apparently he only works days so can not get the night images.

Sounds very suspect to me...but is it just the Chinese way of saying I can not be bothered or is it that the images are crap ?
Why would the image be crap? Without a doubt, it will perform better at night than any other reasonably priced camera. There is already a couple of night sample videos from the imx178/3516a that proves this. The only one which may beat it is the imx185, but it's around the same price and only 2mp so won't interest many people.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Decided to be buy this and will post a review when it arrives (yet to ship so expect mid. Jan). It's nowhere near as cheap as the one klasipka is reviewing here https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6964-5-MegaGixel-1-1-8-quot-low-light-destroyer-for-90 but this I need an outdoor dome and this look like a good option...As they say, we will see :)

We had a few email discussions wrt the lense and he assures me that the 4mm lense has a 101 degree FOV. Strange, but I am no expert so guess we will see!

SL-0418MP 4mm $30.0 F1.8 CSFixedIris 1/1.8" 101°
lens.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: