So here is my idea for my home system

Neokane

n3wb
Reaction score
So, attached is a picture of my property.
My primary concern is access from the road (not very concerned to access from the neighboring fields)
I am thinking of using a IPC-HFW8232E-Z from the SE corner of my house pointed down the driveway.
and then using additional IPC-HDW5231-RZ cameras to cover other areas.

I have a few questions though..
I think BI would be the best option. ( I have an PC that is always on already (i7 2600k, 16GB ram, nVidia 580GTX, 100GB SDD and about 6 TB of storage from torrents(don't really use torrents much anymore))
Is there any issues using a daily PC for BI? (I do still use it for web browsing and PC games)
I am not opposed of an NVR, just thought the existing PC would be the best way to get started.

Is a POE+ switch the best choice even over POE injectors?

Any suggestions to best cover the shed door furthest south (camera facing north/northwest)?
I have experience using Ubiquiti nanostations, but that is a bit overkill for the 40 yards from the house.

Any advice would great! Thanks for having such a great place to learn!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use this to help decide: Camera Calculator / Design Software keep PPF>100

It's always best to use a dedicated machine for BI. Your's would handle a couple of cam's possibly, but how reliably is the big question.
The video card may actually hurt when using BI.
All you can do is try it, with plan B in place, as I think you'll be unhappy with the current machine.
Murhpy is a stinker, and things may fail just as you need it. YMMV.

Bury cable to the shed, and cover the door properly. Use direct burial cable.