software to view all my cameras in grid

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all

Didnt know the best place to put this question so this is where it ended up.

I am looking for some type of software to view all my cameras in a grid view on a single page. I made a simple web page to do this. Doing it this way doesnt let me use a RTSP stream very easy.

I have found IP Camera Viewer 4 by Deskshare. But it is limited to 4 cameras.

I tried out iSpy. But I dont need any recording software.

I tried a program called AnyCam but it keeps crashing.

All I want is a simple way to view all my cameras on a single page. I have attached a screenshot of the page I made.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Bill

Screenshot 2017-04-22 09.46.18.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't mind using specific old browsers, you could try IE with the VLC web plugin for the incoming streams. This will let you stream H.264/H.265 over RTSP and get full frame rates with good bandwidth efficiency. You'll even get the ability to double click a camera to full-screen it, basically for free. You'll probably want to use substreams for a lot of the cameras to keep CPU usage down, but that should only be noticeable when you full-screen one of them.

Another option, if you want a more energy-efficient 24/7 monitor, is to use a raspberry pi (model 3 ideally). Raspberry pi has decent hardware acceleration for H.264 and I bet it could easily handle a dozen or more sub streams while drawing less than 10 watts of power. Check out a program called rpisurv to help set this up, or if you're feeling adventurous, I built a very simplistic program that gives full control over the streams via a simple web interface: RasPipC - Cameras on your TV made Easy.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll also mention, I've had success live-streaming H.264 video to Chrome by first transmuxing the stream to .mkv format. No browser plugins required and it is pretty darn efficient, but it does require some software development skills and an always-on PC to convert the streams.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to get away from browsers as they keep updating and loosing some features I use.

Good example is that Firefox has lost NPAPI support.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think IE is going to lose NPAPI support. More likely, Windows 10 will lose IE before that happens. And you can always install a portable version of Pale Moon or something just to use it as a video wall client.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would really just like some software that does it. That way as cameras update hopefully the software will update also.

I use IP Cam Viewer app for my android devices and love it. Always upto date

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking about that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
VLC seems to have a mosaic plugin to show multiple streams in a grid.
I believe this is the perfect solution if you only want a viewer application and don't want to install big programs that come with unwanted functionalities such as recording, cam configurations etc

Check out:
RTSP mosaic VLC player — ГОТОВЫЕ РЕШЕНИЯ

VLC mosaic for multiple RSTP streams

VLC HowTo/Make a mosaic - VideoLAN Wiki

VLM for mosaic with 4 webcams - The VideoLAN Forums

I haven't done it myself (yet), but if someone gets this working then please share the cool knowledge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm looking for something similar - all the video processing is done via a separate server (only 6 cams). I'd like a monitor to view all of them and/or cycle through each stream in full screen. It'd have to run on windows since the PC is also used for other applications occasionally.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any Hikvision cameras and it's worked just fine.
ivms will only work with hikvision cameras, rebranded hikvision (lts, and others) and a few no name china brands that stole hikvision firmware code. It will not work with most cams.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd be curious if the VLC Mosaic feature works. I looked into that a while back and was unable to get it working. I received some help from VLC devs in their IRC but the general vibe I got from them wasn't too high regarding getting that to work, which ultimately resulted in me exhausting what documentation I could find to no success. Who knows though, maybe things have changed since then -- been a long while since I last tried.

Something I did once upon a time on a Linux system was set up shortcuts to a video player that would launch that video player to exact parameters of the screen. That way I could launch, basically, 8 instances of MPV, VLC, etc and they would all line up at the exact points they were designated to. A quick script later, bound to a shortcut key, and I was literally able to hit that keystroke and all of them would pop up in the exact order and positioning that was set for each window. I'm not sure what Windows' capability is with commanding an application to launch at an exact point on the screen, but if so that could be a quick and dirty idea (re: while this worked great on my Linux rig and can't comment on Windows, I'm not necessarily saying this is a great idea, but possibly 'an' idea).

I've been out of the HTML game for a number of years... Is it possible to embed an RTSP stream right within a video element of HTML code these days? If so, it stands to reason that you could whip up your own local.html file with a basic web page layout that pulls in the streams. Again, just a thought. Really just spit balling to get ideas rolling, even if they're not great.

The VMS I use, Bluecherry, pulls in its live feeds over ffmpeg. I'm suddenly curious if this could be leveraged somehow in an ffplay window... I'm actually really curious about this now that this came to mind... ah who needs sleep, I need to tinker with this idea now. :D

SvenVD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi just an update:

New major version 2.0 of rpisurv is released as a beta version. A lot of extra features have been added, with the most notable that you can now cycle between screens of camera streams automatically or via the keyboard. Full list of changes: SvenVD/rpisurv. Beta testers are welcome.