Solid vs Stranded Copper Patch cables at the Patch Panels, opinions?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ideally, you want your PoE connected devices to run over Solid Copper Cat5/6 cables, but what about when it comes to the patch panels? Do you use stranded copper patch cables from the patch panel to the switches or maintain the solid copper type? Most preassembled patch cables are stranded and I find this concerning. However, most preassembled patch cables undergo some quality control whereas the patch cables we make using bulk cable doesn't go through any kind of certification. What are your thoughts?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've always used solid wire patch cables and made them to length at the time of installation or changes. Made to length eliminates the large bundles of excess cable hanging on the sides of the equipment. even is neatly bundled it makes a mess out of tracing.

Reaction score
@sebastiantombs is correct. Custom-made-to-length cables lose less signal simply because they are only as long as needed. At such short distances, stranded versus solid doesn't really matter. In the early days of 10 Mbps Ethernet, we'd worry about cable-length and signal reflections. These days, chips are smarter and cable is higher quality, and such issues aren't really relevant any longer.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What about transitioning from a solid run to a stranded patch cable in the patch panel? Are there any issues with powering PoE cameras that are being powered by a combination of solid copper runs and stranded patch cables at the network rack?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Solid cable should be used in installations because stranded cable is going to be very hard to punch down in a patch panel. The downside to solid cable is that it isn't very flexible and is prone to breaking if moved a lot. Therefore you should use premade stranded cables to connect devices because it is more flexible and therefore won't break when moved. Solid is fine for in walls or cable trays, but it isn't suppose to be used where the cable can move regularly.

To sum up, the best practice is to use solid for the permanently installed wiring between immoveable connection points and use stranded to make connections from the patch panel/keystones to the devices.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - I bought proper patch cables ( stranded copper ) for my patch panel .. iirc about 1.5 foot long ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about solid copper? :D
As I have a bunch of proper patch cables with stranded copper wire ( needed for the flexibility of the cable ) I do not use solid wired cable for patch cable. ( you can, however not recommended as patch cables are moved more often and thus more of an issue with breakage )

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The most important factors is all the cable is so rated for the environment it’s located in whether CM, CMR, CMP.

Along with using pure copper not CCA and (23 AWG) gauge or some Saturday night special of murple colour 26~30+ super bendy wire!

Bend radius and wire management using proper wire (port) identification is important too.

Lastly, a service loop of sufficient length must be present in case wires need to be terminated or hardware moved. In all cases proper wire support at the switch and panels is critical to reduce tension and pressure on the end ports.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Let's be honest here. Once the system is configured exactly how often do you re-arrange a patch panel? Likely hardly ever to never unless equipment fails. We're not talking about a commercial installation with constantly changing requirements.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's be honest here. Once the system is configured exactly how often do you re-arrange a patch panel? Likely hardly ever to never unless equipment fails. We're not talking about a commercial installation with constantly changing requirements.
Thus the reason I go directly to the switch, and skip using a patch panel, eliminates another point of failure as well.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, you both are absolutely correct, but a patch panel is beautiful, I drool when I look at how tidy those cables are in the rack :rofl:

Point of failure is something to be concerned about, I absolutely agree :(

Currently I have 13 PoE cables connected directly to a PoE switch

But I want to put a patch cable to tidy up the rack (contradictory right? :lol: )

The 13 PoE Cables are solid copper from the camera directly to the switch

However, if I put a patch panel on one of the open shelves in the rack, the patch panel will have keystone couplers (no punch in required). Only issue now is that the cables out of the patch panel to the switch are now stranded instead of solid if I opt for premade cables. if I custom make my own cables they will be solid copper, no issues there, but then again, having a patch panel is just another point of failure

Thus the reason I go directly to the switch, and skip using a patch panel, eliminates another point of failure as well.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There's no problem using stranded patch cables. You're not losing signal at any level even worth thinking about over short little patches. Just buy some at the length you need and avoid the trouble. Same with a patch panel. Both are the way that most large commercial installations are done. As long as you get things punched down right at least which can be a little of a challenge for someone who hasn't done it before. With keystone jacks you won't have to deal with that. Not necessary to use a panel but no reason not to if you want it (other than cost).

There are other ways to tidy up your cables too with rack-mounted cable management spacers, etc. So you could just keep what you have and get near the same look and make things a little cleaner.

Edit to add pic:

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, you both are absolutely correct, but a patch panel is beautiful, I drool when I look at how tidy those cables are in the rack :rofl:

Point of failure is something to be concerned about, I absolutely agree :(

Currently I have 13 PoE cables connected directly to a PoE switch

But I want to put a patch cable to tidy up the rack (contradictory right? :lol: )

The 13 PoE Cables are solid copper from the camera directly to the switch

However, if I put a patch panel on one of the open shelves in the rack, the patch panel will have keystone couplers (no punch in required). Only issue now is that the cables out of the patch panel to the switch are now stranded instead of solid if I opt for premade cables. if I custom make my own cables they will be solid copper, no issues there, but then again, having a patch panel is just another point of failure
Then mine probably makes your eye twitch. :)
I don't care what it looks like, I only care that it works.
I have an unused rack and patch panel setting on the garage floor.

1633107087107.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's how mine looks right now but in a enclosed network rack and is pretty tight in there with the Ubiquiti equipment :(

Then mine probably makes your eye twitch. :)
I don't care what it looks like, I only care that it works.
I have an unused rack and patch panel setting on the garage floor.

View attachment 103383

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using couplers such as this one affixed to an empty patch panel, solid copper coming in, and stranded coming out (if I'm using premade cables)

There's no problem using stranded patch cables. You're not losing signal at any level even worth thinking about over short little patches. Just buy some at the length you need and avoid the trouble. Same with a patch panel. Both are the way that most large commercial installations are done. As long as you get things punched down right at least which can be a little of a challenge for someone who hasn't done it before. With keystone jacks you won't have to deal with that. Not necessary to use a panel but no reason not to if you want it (other than cost).

There are other ways to tidy up your cables too with rack-mounted cable management spacers, etc. So you could just keep what you have and get near the same look and make things a little cleaner.

Edit to add pic:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Edit to add pic:

I still love anything neatened up with Panduit's "PanDuct" stuff like that. I used that stuff many, MANY times in PLC industrial control systems that managed generators, pump stations, municipal bus washer controls, tennis court lighting and children's water feature controls at a public park, yada yada....you get it. IMO, it's usefulness is endless and it makes mods so quick and easy.

EDIT: Almost forgot...my second favorite thing about the pic below left is DIN Rail...love it and love the stuff you can mount to it. They even make little brackets so you can mount Shelly Wi-Fi switches to DIN rail! (below right).

cp4.jpg panduit_patch-cables.jpg shelly-1-din-bracket.jpg

Last edited:

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally fixed wiring tends to be a solid core and anything that's removable or subject to vibration tends to be stranded.

Patch cables are removable and used not only in patch panels but in homes and offices to connect and disconnect PC's, laptops, printers photocopiers to mention a few. While it's not exactly rough use (or is it lol ) it is a consideration.

The same thinking is the reason for using stranded flexible power cables on all movable appliances and equipment. A good example being your 240/110v extension lead on a building site. This would not last to long if it was a solid core due to the constant bending twisting etc.

Patch cables in a panel i would guess have a fairly easy life so either would do. Personally i I've run the solid cat5/6 ( leaving some slack ) to the switches / NVR in the panel and used pass through connectors. As others have said this eliminates a point of failure.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Arjun, if this is about saving money then fine but be prepared for the compromise and potentially debugging/downtime.
If you are looking at keystone couplers they seem more expensive than a normal patch panel.
The point of structured wiring is that it doesn't move. Your house is probably wired with solid core, but the regs (UK speaking here) say that stranded is also ok, but it's more expensive so no one does it.
Same goes for your patch panel. If it's going to move then use stranded cable.

Structured ethernet cabling in buildings is typically designed for 90metre runs with 10m left over for patch cables, keeping to the 100m ethernet spec. - for getting sign off to certifications, but we know we can eek this out a wee bit more at home.
Patch cords are so cheap that it makes no sense making any, compared to the added benefits of strain relief cables and tab protectors and multi colours for a few examples.

If I'm in budget mode and concerned about a solid core RJ45 termination I fill the end with hot glue, then wrap electrical tape around the connector and first couple of inches.
Makes a much stronger connector with some strain relief. I do that on my 100m+ test cables. But not in frequently I will cut the end off and re-terminate if they get snagged etc, so if using solid, leave some "maintenance length".