Solution: Outdoor Dome Camera

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see this posted non-stop so instead of mentioning this multiple times I decided to start a thread. So to those whom are concerned about outdoor dome usage continue reading...

Solution:
Clear coat! THAT'S IT!!!

Take the plastic dome to an automotive body shop and ask them to clear coat it. Polyurethane clear coat is a UV protectant, hence why modern paint jobs last forever. I don't see it costing more than $25 (ideally even less). They will clear coat it when they are clearing a vehicle so it doesn't cost them any extra (bargain in price if they ask too much). Is your car getting painted??? Well take your domes along with it and I bet they won't charge you a Cent (Peso? Pound? Euro? Bitcoin? You get the point). If you have the tools it will cost you next to nothing. Also, if for some reason it gets scratched/scratches all you have to do is buff it out.

This will last the lifetime of the camera and then some!

DIY is an option but it is probably not cost prohibitive.

For the DIY'ers:

Follow the steps in this video as it is the exact same process except you don't have to worry about sanding all of the old UV coating off on the dome as it doesn't have any. Just scuff the plastic until it is hazy.
In this video "plastic primer" is adhesion promoter. They are one and the same, it is a regional terminology.

Parts needed:
1) You want a catalyzed (also known as 2 part, 2 pack, or 2K) polyurethane clear coat. This is the only product that I know of in a can form: 2K Clear coat - SprayMax
- It is VERY bad for you!!! Use proper PPE. For more information research isocyanates on the health hazards.
2) Adhesion promoter (plastic primer) - this can be sourced at any hardware/automotive store. I'm pretty sure they are all clear but make sure that is the case before purchasing.
3) 600 grit "wet or dry" sandpaper (the automotive type NOT the wood type)
4) Wax & Grease Remover
5) Tape

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see this posted non-stop so instead of mentioning this multiple times I decided to start a thread. So to those whom are concerned about outdoor dome usage continue reading...

Solution:
Clear coat! THAT'S IT!!!

Take the plastic dome to an automotive body shop and ask them to clear coat it. Polyurethane clear coat is a UV protectant, hence why modern paint jobs last forever. I don't see it costing more than $25 (ideally even less). They will clear coat it when they are clearing a vehicle so it doesn't cost them any extra (bargain in price if they ask too much). Is your car getting painted??? Well take your domes along with it and I bet they won't charge you a Cent (Peso? Pound? Euro? Bitcoin? You get the point). If you have the tools it will cost you next to nothing. Also, if for some reason it gets scratched/scratches all you have to do is buff it out.

Open your wallets boys, it's time to expand your horizons!
The issue with domes is not the UV....its ir reflection from poor installation or rain/dirt...as well as spiderwebs and uneven ir compared to Turrets...

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh well... Everything I've read has been an issue with sun damage.

If someone wants a dome camera outside (or currently have them installed) then this is the solution for longevity.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh well... Everything I've read has been an issue with sun damage.

If someone wants a dome camera outside (or currently have them installed) then this is the solution for longevity.
It would not be a good idea due to the other reasons mentioned....turret is a superior design in every way...