SOLVED, FTP picture upload through the NVR ?!

Virgi44

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I've using a 7616NI-E2 since 2 months with 8 cameras plugged directly into the NVR's POE ports.
I would like to upload pictures to an FTP site (www.wunderground.com), but I'm getting error message: "Connection Failed". Hikvision local support says this function is not working through the NVR because the Camera cannot reach the Internet directly and it won't be possible unless I connect my Camera to a POE switch on my Local network instead of the NVR...

If it is true, why don't they mention this serious limitation in the Camera's user manual at all?
I hope you have a solution to solve it, I don't want to buy a separated POE switch.
Thanks a lot in advance.

(settings in the Camera are OK because I tried FTP picture uploading through a borrowed POE switch on my local network and it worked)

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NVR dont have the ftp option?

but yeah, cameras on built in PoE are isolated and cant access the internet.. this is common knowledge.

if its just one camera you can just get a single PoE injector.

Virgi44

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR doesn't have.
I still do not understand this Camera isolation by default without the possibility of FTP picture upload?!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you have a solution to solve it, I don't want to buy a separated POE switch.
You need 3 things configured to allow Hikvision PoE-connected cameras to reach the internet:

Assuming the NVR firmware is new enough to have this feature, activate 'Virtual Host'. From what I recall, it's under Network Configuration, Advanced Settings. This provides a set of direct-access links to the PoE cameras in the NVR Camera Configuration page, and, more importantly for your requirement, implicitly activates 'kernel IP_forwarding' in the NVR.

In the NVR Camera Configuration page, change the mode of the channel to 'Manual' instead of 'Plug & Play'.
This is to stop the NVR refreshing / changing the camera network settings after you access the camera web GUI via Virtual Host to change it's Default Gateway to 192.168.254.1 instead of the value that the NVR has set it to (that of the NVR LAN interface default gateway).

And finally, in your LAN gateway/router you need to set up a 'static route' so that devices on the LAN know where to direct the network packets to and from the PoE-conected cameras.
Something like:
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use <NVR_LAN_interface_IP_address> as the gateway.

It's not as difficult as it sounds - it works fine - lots of people have done it.

Virgi44

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear alastairstevenson!
I trusted that an expert will be able to help.
Thanks a lot:cool: