SOLVED: System suddenly running at 100% CPU

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am returning on 2/18/21 to complete this thread. Apparently a recent update from the BI system returned each cameras' "hardware acceleration" choice from "default" to "off". With 40 cameras, and 100% of the load shifted back to the CPU, it rendered my PC as useful as a boat anchor.

Going in and changing each camera back to default (with Intel selected under the console's global setting) returned the CPU to normal 60-ish percent.

Upon prompting from others in this thread, I took the time to learn and implement the sub-stream option for each of my cameras, and the CPU load dropped to <20%. Even better, the memory utilization, which had been around 8GB (of 16GB), dropped to less than 2GB. It's the first time in a very long time that I heard the CPU cooling fans run at anything other than blow-drier levels.

A big thank you to those in this thread that helped me tweak and tune my PC to better than it ever was.

------
Before going nuclear and rebuilding my system, I thought I'd ask if anyone has recently noticed a huge increase in CPU usage with the latest updates. I've made zero changes to my configuration, and over the last few days, the CPU has been pegged at 97% for BI, and 100% total. It makes logging into the cameras hit and miss, and CPU fans are screaming.

I haven't provided details of the updates (it is the latest as of 2/12/21) and on Windows 10 (which also recently forced an update down my throat)... But if I could confirm others are having this issue then I'm going to avoid going through the trouble and hassle of reinstalling everything.

Last edited:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I seem to have seen others remark about updates turning off their hardware acceleration, could that be it? Might be worth checking anyway.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks... I'm doing additional searching on this forum to find similar complaints, and I did stumble upon that. Unfortunately, with 100% of my CPU being consumed by this thing, the PC has become virtually unresponsive. I can't even get to the task manager to end task or end the service. Arg...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, earlier today. System runs at <1% until BI takes over. I can't even get the start menu to come up. I may have to pull the plug literally.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, I had to yank power to the system. When it rebooted, I had a very small window before BI was fully up. But once it was, it was back to 100% and unusable. I used that window to download and older version from January. It's doing that now.

That seemed to help. It's hovering at 80% now, with nearly every external camera triggering due to fog. That's normal. So there must be something in the latest update (including the one released today)...

I don't use substreams. I would, but I haven't had the time to play with each camera type and don't yet undestand the paths.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From which version did you upgrade from? If it had been awhile, there was a big issue where substreams got messed up and folks had to go in and adjust those. I would start there and make sure that substreams are enabled correctly.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Added to the post above yours - but I don't use substreams. I've not configured any of my cameras in BI to use them, as I haven't yet figured out how to properly configure the paths.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The newer versions of BI pull the substream automatically (but the substream needs to be turned on the cameras), so it is a lot simply process now. Will drop your CPU usage a lot.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think the substreams on my cameras are on (by default), but I have never gone to any of my cameras to explicitly enable the dual stream feature. I tried a few times over the last few months, but ended up shelving the idea as it seemed to add to much delay and instability. The problem is now I cannot navigate the PC because BI is using too much CPU.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ah man, this is getting frustrating. So I changed the update settings to "latest critical/stable" which rolled it back to Version: Release 5.3.8.17 x64 (1/25/2021). When it restarted, it immediately went and downloaded and applied today's fix. I tried it again, this time setting it to "no update", and it did it again. I'm about to pull out my hair.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When you update ae you keeping a copy of the update file locally? If so, just run it from the local copy.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, I think I got a handle on it now. Turns out nearly all of my 40 cameras were somehow switched to "NO" on the HW acceleration. The global setting was correct "intel", but only two or three of my cameras were set to to "default". The rest were all NO. The clue was the task manager showing only 3% GPU usage. After tediously going to each camera settings/video/HW set to default, I'm down to 60% CPU and about 45% GPU. It's humming along as it should be.

My guess is one of the most recent updates turned that off. I'm going to now update to todays update, and if it tanks, I'll at least know where to correct it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You really need to look into sub streams. Try with one, do a find/inspect. Copy and paste the sub stream that finds into the configuration. If you have problems, screen shots and post here. We'll help you figure it out.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You really need to look into sub streams. Try with one, do a find/inspect. Copy and paste the sub stream that finds into the configuration. If you have problems, screen shots and post here. We'll help you figure it out.
I really appreciated that, Seb... I'd love to play with it to reduce the load, but haven't had the time to do so. I was really hoping someone would have written up a tutorial or guide for dummies, in a step-by-step fashion.

When I look at any camera stream's path, I see this:

1613179787271.png

That is after using ONVIF to populate all fields. In the camera itself, the substream is enabled:

1613179852317.png

If I could just wrap my brain around how the primary path translates to the sub path I can probably take it from there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK - copy and paste the mainstream into the sub and change subtype=0 to subtype=1 and you have substream.

Or try the pulldown that says none and does it show substream.

Make fps match both main and substream in camera gui.

Substream wiki

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
OK - copy and paste the mainstream into the sub and change subtype=0 to subtype=1 and you have substream

Or try the pulldown that says none and does it show substream.
I meant to copy/paste the ONVIF inspection data... Can you point me to the correct variable there?

Opening 192.168.2.249 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2021-02-12T20:20:19.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: Dahua
Model: DH-SD59225U-HNI
FirmwareVersion: 2.623.0000000.13.R, Build Date 2018-12-05
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
profile token MediaProfile000
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_MainStream
profile source is 000
profile source config is 000
profile token MediaProfile001
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_SubStream1
profile source is 000
profile token MediaProfile002
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_SubStream2
profile source is 000
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile000
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile001
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile002
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
Has WSPullPointSupport
RelayOutputs: 1
RelayOutput: 000/Bistable/open
InputConnectors: 2
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 1
Has PTZ service: /onvif/ptz_service
Preset: 1=Hood (wide)
Preset: 2=Hood%20(zoom)
Preset: 3=gate%20(wide)
Preset: 4=gate
Preset: 5=Gate%20zoomed
Preset: 6=Gate (zoomed)
Done

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So it appears yours is pulling substream 2 in the find/inspect and sometimes in BI that is the one it defaults to. If you don't have substream2 then it shows none, so do the copy/paste I mention and you will have substream. Folks had to manually change substream 2 to substream 1 with a recent BI update because of that because most of us are pulling substream 1.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your coaching. The drop down button to the left of the sub path that currently reads none, I don't change that? It just changes itself after pasting the modified path you suggested?

After saving and reopening, I see this: 1613180520490.png

How do I know it's working? In my index (group) view, the camera still shows a 16:9 aspect ratio, which my sub-stream is not.