[Solved] UDM Pro - can't change client name of camera

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use UDM Pro, and have 11 CCTV cameras, I want to change the default device (camera) client name to something more meaningful. I go to the configuration tab of the camera, type a name in the name box, then hit 'Apply ...' and nothing happens. The name does not change. For this, I'm using the new user interface. Over at the Ubiquiti forum, someone suggested the new user interface is flawed, try using the previous interface. I did and when attempting to change the camera client name an error message appears, top right of window, "There was an error saving the general changes. ID is invalid."

What I have noticed is that 9 of the cameras are IPC (5442's) from @EMPIRETECANDY and the other two are Dahua branded cameras. For the Dahua cameras, I can change the client name, but not for the IPC (5442) cameras. All cameras are on the same VLAN.

I have posted the above to the Ubiquiti forum but as yet haven't received any clues on what is happening. Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just flash our cams into dahua logo, but dahua logo firmware not have smart IR, if you don't need this function just upgrade it.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just flash our cams into dahua logo, but dahua logo firmware not have smart IR, if you don't need this function just upgrade it.
Thanks Andy, not sure how to 'flash' the cameras, but that is something I would rather not do. As regards smart IR, is that a fix to where at night close up objects are completely washed out? I kept meaning to address this or bring it up.

As regards my problem not being able to change a client name within UDM Pro, are you suggesting that that is a client device not allowing a change and therefore nothing to do with the UDM Pro?

Reaction score
Are you using Chrome? Microsoft Edge?
Try using older IE or Pale Moon 32bit.
Your UDM Pro has nothing to do with camera GUI parameters, it's your browser. Dahua camera GUI's do not like the newer more secure browsers.
I say your UDM has nothing to do with camera parameters, but I could be mistaken. You might has some in-depth firewall rules going on.
I run the UDM (not pro) and I have no issues.

In regards to the firmware upgrade for the 5442 series...yes. You will have to eventually learn how to do such as Andy & Friends are upgrading the firmware as we speak so that Smart IR functions correctly...along with (hopefully) HUMAN AI tinkering so that it does not trigger on cats/dogs.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using Chrome? Microsoft Edge?
Try using older IE or Pale Moon 32bit.
Your UDM Pro has nothing to do with camera GUI parameters, it's your browser. Dahua camera GUI's do not like the newer more secure browsers.
I say your UDM has nothing to do with camera parameters, but I could be mistaken. You might has some in-depth firewall rules going on.
I run the UDM (not pro) and I have no issues.

In regards to the firmware upgrade for the 5442 series...yes. You will have to eventually learn how to do such as Andy & Friends are upgrading the firmware as we speak so that Smart IR functions correctly...along with (hopefully) HUMAN AI tinkering so that it does not trigger on cats/dogs.
Thanks for the info. I didn't think changing a name of a device on the network would require me purposely going to the device's configuration page, outside of UDM Pro or any router. In UDM Pro I can change the name of other devices, phones, tablets, and the Dahua cameras. From memory, I don't think there is a name section for the camera within the camera gui. I'll certainly check this. I don't think it's some sort of firewall rule as two of the cameras I can change the name, and both are on the same VLAN.

I'll work out the Smart IR a little later.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I didn't think changing a name of a device on the network would require me purposely going to the device's configuration page, outside of UDM Pro or any router. In UDM Pro I can change the name of other devices, phones, tablets, and the Dahua cameras. From memory, I don't think there is a name section for the camera within the camera gui. I'll certainly check this. I don't think it's some sort of firewall rule as two of the cameras I can change the name, and both are on the same VLAN.

I'll work out the Smart IR a little later.
ohohoh...I understand what you are saying. Yea...on the UDM's you can rename device icons on your network list in the UDM GUI itself. This still has nothing to do with the cameras. I have renamed icons in my UDM and sometimes they hold....sometimes not. Example: even renamed my Denon network amp to something (even changed the icon)....it reverted back to original name/icon a day later. It's a UDM thing.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just to close this off, all is working now. Over at the Ubiquiti forums I didn't get much joy and then yesterday (18/06/21) I emailed support directly and got an answer back within a couple of hours. It was just a simple update of the UDM Pro firmware. My system indicated that the firmware was up to date, but that wasn't the case. Now I've changed the network names of all my cameras, far easier to digest when loading up the UDM Pro.

Reaction score
Just to close this off, all is working now. Over at the Ubiquiti forums I didn't get much joy and then yesterday (18/06/21) I emailed support directly and got an answer back within a couple of hours. It was just a simple update of the UDM Pro firmware. My system indicated that the firmware was up to date, but that wasn't the case. Now I've changed the network names of all my cameras, far easier to digest when loading up the UDM Pro.
ah. I rely on the auto-update from my UDM itself. I will also keep eye on the webpage. Thanks for that.