Some Dahua Camera settings don't persist after reboot

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there! I post this information here in case someone else is experiencing the same problem. Who knows, with a little bit of luck maybe someone can suggest a solution.

I prefer to set encoding for both the main strean AND the substream to H.265 and and I want to have the Iframe interval set to the same as the frame rate (25).
Like this:
wanted_settings.PNG

It works well to set the wanted values and they are effective immediately.

Unfortunately the cameras reverts to the old values (for the sub stream only) every time it's rebooting. Like this:

after_reboot.PNG

It's a bit annoying to having to repeatedly having to set the same values over and over.

It occurs for 2 of my older camera models
  • IPC-HDW4231EM-AS
  • IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Installed version is V2.800.0000016.0.R, Build Date: 2020-06-05
version.PNG

Is this a known problem or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a problem with some cameras to not hold a setting after a reboot.

I also have one that will revert the bitrate to a lower number.

Nothing that I have found we can do other than check it after a reboot or setup a task scheduler to send an API to change it periodically.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve seen this when making changes to the camera settings via the NVR instead of directly on the camera. One of the reasons I recommend making all changes on the camera.

If using a Dahua NVR, reset it to factory, only make recording schedule changes on it, and do everything else on the camera.

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a problem with some cameras to not hold a setting after a reboot.

I also have one that will revert the bitrate to a lower number.

Nothing that I have found we can do other than check it after a reboot or setup a task scheduler to send an API to change it periodically.
Thanks! I'll probably set up a cron task for that then. :)

I’ve seen this when making changes to the camera settings via the NVR instead of directly on the camera. One of the reasons I recommend making all changes on the camera.

If using a Dahua NVR, reset it to factory, only make recording schedule changes on it, and do everything else on the camera.
Thanks! No NVR here. I'm using Blue Iris so all changes are made on the cameras. ;)

Buttan Butt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After studying the DAHUA IPC HTTP API, this API call will do the trick:

Code:
http://CAMERA-IP/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Encode[0].ExtraFormat[0].Video.Compression=H.265&Encode[0].ExtraFormat[0].Video.BitRate=512&Encode[0].ExtraFormat[0].Video.FPS=25&Encode[0].ExtraFormat[0].Video.GOP=25
Cheers!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a weird thing happen a few days ago. I was having problems accessing one camera's UI so went into the NVR's web interface instead. I enabled substream2 on the camera in question. This worked, and when finished, substream2 got turned off on 10 other cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That was @wittaj messing with ya. Shouldnt port forward :lmao:

Seriously has anything changed in your system? Perhaps then NVR is shutting down streams because its Max'd out on bandwidth? That is a documented thing...

Last edited:

CCTVThomas

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have a Dahua NVR then this will be the issue
If you goto Settings/Camera/CameraList - at the top of the page you will see H.265 Auto Switch - this needs to be turned off
Thank you, this fixed the same issue for me