Something I have totally missed about support/updates Blue Iris

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, when I purchased BI for more than 1 cameras, $59.99. I bought software forever but to receive updates only for a year? I have to update my license, which is option for $29.99? Am I correct?
Blue Iris.PNG blue iris 2.PNG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The whole Extended/Priority service thing began some time after BI 4's release.

Though it says you need a support plan in order to install minor updates, this has never been enforced. Anyone can install minor updates. I hope BI never tries to enforce such a rule, because it would be a big middle finger to everyone who gets stuck on a buggy BI version when their license expires.

Anyway, Version 5 is due out June 1st. One way to buy BI 5 is to buy a year of extended service before then. I imagine you could also buy the extended service after then for the same effect, but the developer has suggested that pricing may increase when BI 5 is released. I imagine you could also skip buying extended service altogether, and just buy a BI 5 license (possibly at a discounted rate) after its release, but what this would cost is unknown.

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, if I buy "Extended Service" for $29.99 lets say May 31st then BI V5 would be free upgrade for me?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. If it still costs that, and BI 5 isn't out yet on that date, then certainly.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't get it!!!! $29.95; $39.95; $49.95; $59.95; Blue Iris is such a screaming deal, why are people quibbling over $10 or $20? I drink more beer than that every month.

DesertRat
I totally agree with this! Not to put anyone down and everyone is entitled to have their opinion but for the stability, features, performance and flexibility, there is really no reason to even think twice. If my service is up and can't get update, I'll just buy the latest, period. Truth be told, I was skeptical at first.. not at the price but the software's capabilities. After reading here, I didn't understand why everyone is so hooked on BI... I am opensource type so naturally, I wondered what the magic is about. Installed SmartPSS or whatever that was and couple other free solutions and also BI trial. It was immediately apparent why BI is a no-brainer.
A single dinner for 2 will cost much more and we are talking about Home Security. I hate Cloud solutions and BI is really the only thing that offers what I really want.