Sooo Honeywell L7000 panel...

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had this installed about a year and a half ago, they used a lot of the existing wired sensors and added some wireless sensors... I lost the damn manual on that i jotted down the main programming pin on.... where do I begin to start learning about what this panel can do? Anyways know the pros/cons of this panel off the top of their head? The install briefly mentioned it can be integrated with HA, but that was when i really didn't care.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @tangent ... yeah I hear ya, but it is what I have, so I gotta try making the best of it. Just trying to see if there is any other benefits to this panel that I could use.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd recommend you contact them and make them fix it for free. They might do this remotely, walk you through the steps (if they do write them down), or send somebody.

You can't do it yourself w/o the installer code. If they didn't lock the panel out there are ways you can get it, but that would likely generate a report that goes to the monitoring company and ten they might lock the panel out remotely. If it's a skeezey company like monotronics you have my sympathy.

Also make sure the batteries are good

Reaction score
So, it sounds like they ripped out a perfectly good hardwired system that had the main components secured, and replaced it with a AIO wireless system that'll sit by your front door for any intruder to knock off the wall:rolleyes:. @wantafastz28 that alarm company downgraded your security. This is a perfect example of why I'll never let any alarm company touch the alarm in my house. For most alarm companies, especially larger ones, their priority is to get signed monitoring contacts, which guarantee’s monthly revenue. This is how they make their money. That's why you see a lot of deals for "free" systems that include one keypad with two doors and a motion. Those "free" systems aren't going to secure a damn thing, and the alarm companies could care less.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, it sounds like they ripped out a perfectly good hardwired system that had the main components secured, and replaced it with a AIO wireless system that'll sit by your front door for any intruder to knock off the wall:rolleyes:. @wantafastz28 that alarm company downgraded your security. This is a perfect example of why I'll never let any alarm company touch the alarm in my house.
I've actually seen that done to a multi mullion dollar home that previously had an ELK system with 30+ hardwired zones. To make matters worse they cut all the wires right where they came through the ceiling a couple feet from the old panel. Rage is pretty much my reaction when I see / hear about stuff like that. That sort of thing is bordering on literally being criminal.

Also when these 'wireless' systems get installed people often go from having multiple keypads to just 1 smash-able unit.

Another major gripe of mine is with the alarm manufactures putting most of their R&D resources into these wireless panels and neglecting the old reliable wired systems

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For most alarm companies, especially larger ones, their priority is to get signed monitoring contacts, which guarantee’s monthly revenue. This is how they make their money.
@wantafastz28 this is also why their "automation" options really suck in most cases. Again the priority is to find a way to charge you more per month. There is a zwave module for the Lynx 7000 but I think you need the installer code to even make simple changes to anything.

Reaction score
I've actually seen that done to a multi mullion dollar home that previously had an ELK system with 30+ hardwired zones. To make matters worse they cut all the wires right where they came through the ceiling a couple feet from the old panel. Rage is pretty much my reaction when I see / hear about stuff like that. That sort of thing is bordering on literally being criminal.

Also when these 'wireless' systems get installed people often go from having multiple keypads to just 1 smash-able unit.
And the worst part about it is the homeowner has no idea how badly they just got screwed.

Another major gripe of mine is with the alarm manufactures putting most of their R&D resources into these wireless panels and neglecting the old reliable wired systems
Yeah, I'm hoping Honeywell integrates their new SIX series encrypted wireless sensors into the Vista line of panels. The Lyric is nice, but the Vista panels are still more secure.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping Honeywell integrates their new SIX series encrypted wireless sensors into the Vista line of panels. The Lyric is nice, but the Vista panels are still more secure.
I have other gripes with DSC, but at least the PowerSeries Neo has seem some recent R&D that resulted from acquiring Visonoic.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Who's the monitoring company?
SAFE SECURITY® - Your Home Your Family Your Life

The system was was already in the house had 2 brinks home security keypads. They said they could make it work if i had a land line which i didn't, and could upgrade me to whatever i wanted so that it could have the cell phone module instead. My fault for picking honeywell(sounds familiar) vs other brands they said. I think they left the existing equipment(i know they used the existing hardwired door sensors, but added pir sensors)... I dont even know where to start when it comes to looking up this equipment... was hoping there was a forum similar to this for alarm panels... I tried getting ahold of the installing company, but of course crickets from them.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wantafastz28 this is also why their "automation" options really suck in most cases. Again the priority is to find a way to charge you more per month. There is a zwave module for the Lynx 7000 but I think you need the installer code to even make simple changes to anything.
@smiticans @tangent

Yeah, I started with an ADT quote, quickly rushed them out of the house with their pressure sale, then came an ex cop that owned a alarm company, once again pushy, looked into it a little and he was already being sued by multiple clients and wasnt insured or bonded...next came this company which wasn't very high pressure, but I was in a hurry to get something for the wife before I left town for a few months for work. This is the result... I have that damn master code somewhere, i just cant find it! The installer was showing me a few features i could do if i wanted to tinker on my own. Errrr

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also make sure the batteries are good
I made him go out and get a brand new battery the second day he came to finish the install. :) There are def. flaws in the alarm system... My next question was gonna be if there was a way to find out if this is the alarm type that sends out a command once it is triggered, and another when i put in my code.... but from what I'm reading with you guys... it is the type that they can smash, and im SOL.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Brinks, Broadview, and Monitronics alarms are especially hard for other companies to re-use. However there are a number of fairly new cell/internet devices that you can wire up as if they were the phone line and they do dialer capture without the need to change phone or account numbers. Honeywell makes good products generally so don't hate on the brand entirely, @smiticans and I were both just lamenting these wireless aio alarms. For some irony compare the prices for a honeywell tuxedo touch keypad to the Lynx 7000 seems like the tuxedo should cost less...

A more traditional panel like a Honeywell Vista 20P has some advantages: hardwired zones (including smoke detectors and co if you want), bigger battery backup, larger sirens can that can be installed in better locations, smashing the keypad doesn't matter, it's harder to find/disable the control panel, install multiple keypads, wireless receivers, serial automation modules that can integrate with real automation gear, the keypads are generally physically smaller and more attractive, and so on.

Master code != installer code
Master code is used to change / assign user codes and certain other functions like setting the time.
Installer code is used to access the programming menus

Cellular and Internet alarm communication protocols are faster than POTS, so someone smashing this type of alarm or cutting the wires going to it may get reported just don't expect the siren to go off for too long.

Hold the arm / disarm button until the light on the fob flashes and see if the panel does anything. If the light doesn't turn on get a new coin cell battery.
There are instructions in the installation manual I linked to to acquire the installer code if the panel isn't locked out.
Here's a video on programming keyfobs:

There are some alarm forums on the net here are 2 I'll mention:
DIY Home Security Systems. Alarm system technical help - Index
Home Security

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a video on recovering the installer code. Most likely it would NOT transmit the tamper condition unless it's armed so don't worry about it especially since they've been unresponsive.
Don't change the code, just write down what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
SAFE SECURITY® - Your Home Your Family Your Life
I dont even know where to start when it comes to looking up this equipment... was hoping there was a forum similar to this for alarm panels...
www.shieldlab.com/forum/ is a forum dedicated to alarm systems. The forum use to be more active when it was part of homesecuritystore.com, however, it still has a decent user base.

You should learn how to maintain the alarm system yourself, so, when the contract expires, you can switch to a company that caters to DIYers, such as, AlarmGrid, GeoArm and AlarmRelay. If I were you, after the contract was up, I would swap out the Honeywell lynx with the Vista 20p. All of the wireless and wired sensors will work with the Vista 20p.