"Sorry, The file could not be found" when trying to view clips/alerts

PCMedic

n3wb
Reaction score
Have been running BI for a year now set to Continuous Record and alert on Motion and is storing to a Western Digital MyCloud 3TB drive. Until a couple months ago, all was great, however I then ran into an issue where if I open BI (v.5) and click to open a clip in the sidebar I am presented with a pop-up message "Sorry, the file could not be found" .
Now the odd part is that...
1) I can open Windows 10 File Explorer and access the drive/folder and the clip files are in fact there.
2) If I login to the MyCloud Dashboard > Utilities > Reboot , after the MyCloud reboots BI will then open the clips NO problem
3) Connection obviously was never totally lost as the clips (segmented hourly) and all Alerts are there. So recording is / was never interrupted.
4) After rebooting the MyCloud will work fine for a couple days and then a reboot required again for BI to access the clips without the "Sorry, the file could not be found" error.

This all started after one of the frequent BI5 updates, but after contacting them was told nothing in the update should cause that. I have uninstalled/reinstalled BI, removed and re-added Users and Shares on the MyCloud and still same issue. Stumped as to why if the continuous recordings and alert clips continue to save to the drive, why does BI intermittently have trouble accessing them for playback.

Anyone ever see this type issue or have suggestions I am all ears !!

Attachments

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Western Digital MyCloud is a network device which Windows will automatically disconnect when idle; default is 15 minutes (or thereabouts).

Windows will automatically reconnect when activity happens, but may not always be quick enough and the drive is temporarily offline. When BI attempts to access a file when offline will produce the "Sorry, the file could not be found" error message.

You can lengthen the idle time using the NET CONFIG SERVER /AUTODISCONNECT:## command from an elevated command prompt. To max out the disconnect timer use -1.

net config server /autodisconnect:-1​

====

The file handle for writing a file can remain open/active, though the share has 'closed'. Attempting to create a new file handle (to read, or write) requires the share to re-open, and it's simply "timing" if the new handle is successful or not... load on server, load on network, load on MyCloud, etc.

The above command may help (may not). If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to manually rebuild the database.

PCMedic

n3wb
Reaction score
Have already checked this aspect and did not help. Was skeptical it would as again after reboot of MyCloud it will generally work 2-3 days before issue happens again . Have also already COMPLETELY removed and reinstalled BI (new clean database) and same result after couple days.

PCMedic

n3wb
Reaction score
Just spotted something that MAY be the culprit. Was just in the Dashboard for MyCloud and noted that a firmware update had installed on Oct 9, 2019 . That would coincide with the approximate time the issues started. So I just rolled-back the MyCloud to the previous firmware version and will monitor to see if resolves issue.

PCMedic

n3wb
Reaction score
Just spotted something that MAY be the culprit. Was just in the Dashboard for MyCloud and noted that a firmware update had installed on Oct 9, 2019 . That would coincide with the approximate time the issues started. So I just rolled-back the MyCloud to the previous firmware version and will monitor to see if resolves issue.
Unfortunately, the MyCloud firmware update must not have been the issue. 1day 22hrs and back to same issue.

Deno

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone have any other possible solutions to this issue?
I started getting this message also after I updated to version 5..and the files are there, same as you. BI 5 update f'ed things up...my setup was working perfectly...now these issues and intermittent remote access from android Apps...I am about to wipe clean and restart

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Go to the settings of the offending camera and try setting the Hardware Acceleration to No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did this problem start with BI 5 or with windows 10 ?
Windows 10 changed the write caching behavior of external drives.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when upgrading to BI5. I have two older cams that would have the same symptom. I turned HA off and the problem went away.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean HA ?

I do not see how Intel hardware acceleration video quick sync, can effect disk writes.

I have an old WD Mycloud device and it would never work with random writes, it was OK for file backup.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Hardware acceleration. I was getting the exact same error but the file was there. I just couldn't view it. Turning HA off fixed the issue.

PCMedic

n3wb
Reaction score
Started with BI5. When I contacted them was told nothing in BI5 would cause this, but never had the issue prior and Windows 10 File Explorer can still access the drive/folder/files even when BI is reporting the file can not be found.

PCMedic

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean HA ?

I do not see how Intel hardware acceleration video quick sync, can effect disk writes.

I have an old WD Mycloud device and it would never work with random writes, it was OK for file backup.
Disk 'Writes' are not the issue as I stated the files are actually there and I can access them via Windows 10 File Explorer. It is only BI that throws up the error that the file can not be found.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you try turning off hardware acceleration for that camera?

PCMedic

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you try turning off hardware acceleration for that camera?

Hardware Accelerated Decode is not enabled. Not sure how that would effect disk reads, but in any case not the issue here.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So you have no hardware acceleration turned on for any cameras?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I had it happen on a local drive and that’s why I was probing for the the acceleration setting.