Sounds on Alert through speakers on laptop via UI3

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to have some type of alert sound when motion is detected while viewing on UI3 on a laptop/pc through the laptop/pc speakers?

Example: I have my laptop running in another room open with UI3 and someone walks on front porch... can I get a DING sound played through the laptop speaker when motion is detected much like you can via the BlueIris app on a smartphone?

cobra2

n3wb
Reaction score
I know of a couple options(/hack), one is teamviewer, other is get a dual male 3.5mm plug, plug from line out to mic in, then run an appear.in video chat room w/cams turned off on your remote and on BI pc (w/mic on). Alternately, you could use a USB camera mic near BI pc speakers and appear.in

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Dasstrum

Yeah, no problem. This was implemented some time ago. Look in Main Menu > UI Settings > Event-Triggered Sounds. Note that UI3 will only receive notice of motion/trigger events if you are using an H.264 streaming method. It won't work if the tab is not the active tab in the window, or if the window is minimized. Basically, UI3 needs to be visible on screen somewhere, though it can be hidden behind another window, as long as it is active and still streaming video.

And HTML5 audio autoplay restrictions may also prevent the sound from playing --- that isn't super-likely to be a problem today but in the next few months to a year it may be. I'm pretty sure I have UI3 correctly detecting this and warning you about it in an obvious manner if it is a problem.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I posted this 6 months ago as I had a client asking for this feature and decided not to use it.

Not too sure if this was in ui3 then and I just missed it but I'm glad its there now :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually it looks like event-triggered sounds became a thing in UI3 on May 4th, though I don't know when it would have been sent out in a BI update.