Source for white outdoor Ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Installation Pics' started by Mr_D, Jan 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Mr_D

Mr_D Getting the hang of it

Everything I can find is black and most of it is gel-filled for direct burial. I won't be burying it, but I'll need UV resistance and a white jacket. Black would look ugly as hell and I don't want to paint it.

2. TonyR

TonyR Getting comfortable

I have not used this and cannot comment on its performance but here's one that meets your specs. It' s boxed, I think a reel would be less likely to get twisted than a boxed version ('UN-reel"):
    Solid copper, Cat-5e, CMX jacket, outdoor, UV-rated

3. mark_whocares

mark_whocares n3wb

Why do you not want to run it in conduit ?

4. Mr_D

Because it's more work and a 3/4" conduit sticks out more on the side of a house than an Ethernet cable. Most of the cameras shouldn't have any exposed wire but some may need a cable run under the eaves. A small number may need cable run along a wall to reach a point where it can enter the attic. The stucco is off-white so white would be a better match than black

5. Travieso

Travieso Getting the hang of it

I use this cable on a daily basis, Very good Cable !!

TonyR likes this.
  6. flynreelow

flynreelow Getting the hang of it

7. Mr_D

8. flynreelow

do you really need this to be outdoor rated? how much of this cable is actually going to be seen. IMO, none of this cable should be seen around the house. Should be in a box, or conduit as it leaves the attic area, underground, etc.

9. TonyR

Cable in underground conduit MUST be outdoor-rated, as considerable moisture WILL find it's way into the conduit eventually. It does not, however, need to be gel-filled. A HDPE (high density polyethylene) jacket is sufficient.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  10. flynreelow

My apologies @TonyR....

When I said underground i was in reference to the "California Basement" under the house. Usually a small crawl space, where this wire can be tacked up without conduit under the studs. Defiantly not under the earth, as in buried without conduit or the proper "burial" cable rating.

TonyR likes this.
  11. TonyR

No apology needed, the clarification sufficed.

Although back in 'Bama since '04, I owned and lived in a house in Santa Clara, CA for 29 years and spent some hours on my belly stringing RG59 coax and CAT-5 cables in that crawl space (and in the attic), so I know first hand about what you were referring to. :cool:

12. WA3PNT

WA3PNT n3wb

13. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Pulling my weight

I agree that there will be water in the conduit, but how does that make its way into an undamaged cable jacket? Most CMR cable has a PVC jacket. I'm certainly no chemist, but I believe that PVC is totally waterproof.

14. code2

code2 Getting the hang of it

Mr_D likes this.
  15. TonyR

I'm no chemist either but I rely on 31 years of having to replace on numerous occasions damaged indoor cable with thin PVC jackets in underground conduits. Perhaps there were hairline slits or pinches to the thin jacket when installed, perhaps it was corrosive chemicals in the groundwater, I don't know. But I will say that if Belden stated here that a particular CAT-5e with CMP jacket is for indoor use only I'd go with that.

I retired 14 years ago and I'll make a winning bet that my successors have replaced a few since I left that the moisture mitigation into the PVC jackets started causing problems.

I'm no English major but I'll stick my head out and say that "indoor" means just that and not "outdoor OK if in conduit". :cool:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    looney2ns likes this.
  16. tigerwillow1

I take actual experience more seriously than what spec sheets or instruction books say. I combed through the Belden spec sheets and they don't directly address water and moisture resistance. They do address oil and uv resistance. The CMR jackets for instance are oil resistant and the CMP jackets aren't. The Belden outdoor cable isn't rated for direct burial unless it's gel filled. I compared the jackets of come cat6 CMR and outdoor cable I have and they're exactly the same thickness. The only visible difference is that the outdoor cable has a very thin clear plastic layer under the jacket. "Outdoor" cable is generally moisture and uv resistant, and approved for aerial runs. In buried conduit, 2 of these 3 factors don't exist. I just wish the manufacturers would address buried conduit directly.

17. TonyR

I guess you missed the first line in my post #15, I also rely on experience, the specs was for your benefit.

I never mentioned direct burial, you did.

Now THAT'S where I trust my experience!

Let's agree to disagree, you can pull Radio Shack bell wire from here to there, indoors or out, in conduit or not, I really don't care. You sure won't be working for me and I won't be working for you.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  18. tigerwillow1

I'm at a loss where the disagreement is. The only things I've asserted in this thread are:
    - Most CMR cable has a PVC jacket
    - PVC is waterproof
    - I take actual experience seriously
    - I posted some physical characteristics of cable I have on hand
    - I repeated some info from Belden spec sheets
    - I noted the spec sheets address various environmental characteristics but not moisture resistance
    - I wish the cable manufacturers would specifically address cable in buried conduit

I mentioned the spec sheet you pointed me to is for CMP cable only because I had specifically mentioned CMR.
    I mentioned direct burial because it was mentioned in the first post of the thread and you mentioned in in post #9.

And I was dumb enough to ask how moisture got into cable with a waterproof jacket. Lesson learned.

19. TonyR

Again I refer to my post #15 wherein I stated "....having to replace on numerous occasions damaged indoor cable with thin PVC jackets in underground conduits. Perhaps there were hairline slits or pinches to the thin jacket when installed, perhaps it was corrosive chemicals in the groundwater, I don't know."

I don't know any other way to state that I (as in me, myself and I) will always recommend (not demand or insist) when asked, that outdoor-rated cable (not indoor-rated as in riser or plenum) be installed in underground conduits.

I did not dream it, I did not make it up and I did not imagine it....I replaced many cables, perhaps 20 to 30 in possibly 10 locations, that actually failed due to moisture penetrating a thin, PVC indoor-rated jacket on a cable that was pulled into an underground conduit.

I apologize for coming off as rude before but I stick by what I said and won't argue with you any more. I also rely on experience and mine tells me to stick by what I have observed and experienced personally, not by what I read or what someone told me, including successes and failures.

I expect you'll do the same and that's up to you and I wish you only the best of luck!

looney2ns likes this.
  20. gpower07

gpower07 Getting the hang of it

mat200 likes this.
  21. gpower07

gpower07 Getting the hang of it

but no free shipping.

22. TonyR

Sounds like great cable, free shipping (a VERY good savings) but I think the OP was looking for a white jacket with those specs (CAT-5e, outdoor-rated, solid copper, UTP).

But I will keep their Cat. # CAT5E1000SOBK in mind in case I have a hard time in the future finding Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro in a hurry or at a good price. Thanks for the tip! :)

23. Secured

Secured n3wb

Can outdoor cables for be used for indoor as well? Going to be running it on top of ceiling tiles and in some wall. Not sure if the cable gets hotter if it's indoor and affects it.

Is the outdoor Cat6 from Monoprice as good as their indoor cables? 1000FT 23AWG Cat6 550MHz UTP Solid, Bulk Ethernet Cable, Direct Burial, Black (No Logo) - Monoprice.com

or 1000FT Cat 6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Plenum Jacket (CMP), 550MHz, 23AWG

or should I use https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-TOUGHCable-Shielded-Ethernet/product-reviews/B008L143VW/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#RO6EE112B6ZMH?

Going to put up 2mp Starlights

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  24. TonyR

Yes, but outdoor-rated (CMX) cable is usually stiffer and its qualities make it more costly.

For your application above ceiling or at ceiling height I would use indoor, CMP (Plenum) or CMR (Riser).

Insure ANY and ALL cables are solid copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum).

Regarding the Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro shielded, I use it regularly and hold it in high regard but unless you're going outdoor and have concerns from EMI/RFI (like static from local lightning) you likely won't need the shielded. BTW, shielded cable is useless if not properly terminated with shielded connectors and properly grounded.

In the ceiling, or anywhere for that matter, if you must cross any 120 VAC power lines to lighting fixtures, etc. , do so only at a right angle, don't run parallel to them unless your network cable will remain at least 2 feet away.

Secured likes this.
  25. PapaBill

PapaBill Young grasshopper

In the Heart of MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.