Spectrum Port Forwarding

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck forwarding ports with spectrum internet and their own router?

I have a new Asus router with Spectrum Phone / Internet modem and even thought port shows as open on the ASUS router, I'm unable to get to my camera or see that the port is open in a port forward online checker...

None of the other ISP's where I have my own router do this...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming they operate the same in all regions, it should be possible.

Confirm that your router's WAN address is publicly routable. The easiest way to do this is to look in your router to see what its WAN address is, and see if that matches what third-party services think your address is. what is my ip - Google Search

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what port are you using 80?, spectrum home service block port 80 and few others, try 8080

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming they operate the same in all regions, it should be possible.

Confirm that your router's WAN address is publicly routable. The easiest way to do this is to look in your router to see what its WAN address is, and see if that matches what third-party services think your address is. what is my ip - Google Search
That is the strange thing. The WAN IP Address is 192.168.0.2 but the what is my ip is giving me a 174.99 type address.

Not sure what to change in the WAN settings though and dont' want to knock it offline as I'm remote

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck forwarding ports with spectrum internet and their own router?

I have a new Asus router with Spectrum Phone / Internet modem and even thought port shows as open on the ASUS router, I'm unable to get to my camera or see that the port is open in a port forward online checker...

None of the other ISP's where I have my own router do this...
fwiw:

Port Forwarding is not recommended, VPN is recommended to access the cameras.

Note: You should be easily able to run a VPN server on the ASUS router.

Please see the wiki for the VPN notes.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Since you are getting a private IP as a WAN IP, it confirms you have not put your Spectrum gateway into bypass mode/gateway mode or whatever they call it. Do that, and you'll be set. Leave the IP set to Auto

Otherwise, you will have to port forward twice. Once in the Spectrum Gateway, and then again on your own router

For what its worth, I'd take the advice above and not do it anyway. But I'd for sure put that into gateway mode anyway so you don't do double NAT

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fwiw:

Port Forwarding is not recommended, VPN is recommended to access the cameras.

Note: You should be easily able to run a VPN server on the ASUS router.

Please see the wiki for the VPN notes.
Looked at the wiki and the VPN on Asus, pretty complicated and never got it to work. I"ll stick with port forwarding..

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since you are getting a private IP as a WAN IP, it confirms you have not put your Spectrum gateway into bypass mode/gateway mode or whatever they call it. Do that, and you'll be set. Leave the IP set to Auto

Otherwise, you will have to port forward twice. Once in the Spectrum Gateway, and then again on your own router

For what its worth, I'd take the advice above and not do it anyway. But I'd for sure put that into gateway mode anyway so you don't do double NAT
I don't think I have a gateway though. No other ports except the LAN and the Coax and phone lines....

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I tell on the Asus router what my WAN IP is? I don't see it obvious anywhere like I do in netgear devices...

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Whatever the Spectrum box is called, gateway, modem, router etc, its for sure handling NAT right now

You need to log into it (Almost certainty 192.168.0.1 based on your last post) and change those settings

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
How do I tell on the Asus router what my WAN IP is? I don't see it obvious anywhere like I do in netgear devices...
You don't. Its not communicating with the outside world right now. 99.9% chance you have a dynamic IP meaning you will never need to input your external IP into any of your own network equipment, its all handled via DHCP

Incoming traffic right now is being handled entirely by your Spectrum gateway, you need to put it in bypass so it goes directly to your ASUS router

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Find the model of the Spectrum device and then post it here, as well as searching "XXXXX Bridge mode" or "XXXXX passthrough"

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't do it yourself without getting them to intervene with a login etc

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is what I got when I go there.
Does not look like a router to me at all, just a cable modem

admin / blank admin/admin admin/password did not work to login

Attachments

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Whats the model of the device?

Check the device, there could be a password listed on it physically. There often is with things like this

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m not super techy to help you but I use spectrum and port forwarding with no problem and an ASUS WiFi router