Spiders and insects.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since I’ve installed my cameras I have had a massive spider infestation under my eves and around my windows. I didn’t much think about it but I’m starting to think maybe the IR has a lot to do with it. In the past I had normal amount of spiders on my house and I left them alone and let them do there thing. Yesterday I decided to clean some webs showing up on cameras and noticed a lot more then I’ve ever had. About 20 of them were black widows.

Anyone notice a correlation with IR and more insects and spiders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quick answer as there are lots of threads on spiders here. Yes... :p
Lol thanks. Spiders don’t bother me and I like what they do but yesterday I was kind of in shock from the amount and thought I had a problem. This morning it made since with the IR

whatevah

n3wb
Reaction score
I have my cameras up high, so they get some moths but usually not many spiders. But, try spraying the area around your cameras with a good insecticide (I like Otho Home Defense). It'll help with crawling bugs, but not much for the flying ones. I do the entire perimeter of my home at the ground, 12" up from the ground and around every door and window, usually twice a year in the spring and fall.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have my cameras up high, so they get some moths but usually not many spiders. But, try spraying the area around your cameras with a good insecticide (I like Otho Home Defense). It'll help with crawling bugs, but not much for the flying ones. I do the entire perimeter of my home at the ground, 12" up from the ground and around every door and window, usually twice a year in the spring and fall.
I did use some ortho max and I’ve always liked using that. Wish they had concentrated ortho max. These spiders weren’t just around my cameras. They made home all over the outside of my house. As much as I hate having to kill them there was just way to many. I probably need to spray my yard also. Seems like my cameras are calling a lot of insects to my house.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I occasionally have to get out there with a soft bristle broom to take care of them :) The turrets seem to be less apt to collect spiders as opposed to bullet cameras.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have issues with spiders on my turrets, as soon as I clean the area in and around they seem to rebuild their web. Have sort of given up, the odd occasional false alert is all I get so put up with Mother Nature

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have issues with spiders on my turrets, as soon as I clean the area in and around they seem to rebuild their web. Have sort of given up, the odd occasional false alert is all I get so put up with Mother Nature
Well it was getting to the point of constant alerts while they were building webs or if the wind was blowing. But seeing all the black widows living around the windows and doors I really didn’t care for

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I’ve installed my cameras I have had a massive spider infestation under my eves and around my windows. I didn’t much think about it but I’m starting to think maybe the IR has a lot to do with it. In the past I had normal amount of spiders on my house and I left them alone and let them do there thing. Yesterday I decided to clean some webs showing up on cameras and noticed a lot more then I’ve ever had. About 20 of them were black widows.

Anyone notice a correlation with IR and more insects and spiders?

Yes, one option is to use a separate IR illumination mounted away from the camera. Turn the IR off in the cam. This at least will result in less false motion alerts.
Judicious use of Ortho Home Defense can help too.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
All good recommendations above.

I havent had much luck with chemicals, seem to wear off pretty quick with our daily Floriduh storms.

The little critters do seem to like bullets more than turrets, I surmise its because the bullets have LED's above and below the lens, where the turrets are just below.

I take a 3 prong approach:

1- The redneck spider remover
redneck_spider_remover.JPG

2- When they gang up on you
IMG_2915.JPG

3- Last resort
flamethrower.jpg

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I havent had much luck with chemicals, seem to wear off pretty quick with our daily Floriduh storms.

The little critters do seem to like bullets more than turrets, I surmise its because the bullets have LED's above and below the lens, where the turrets are just below.

View attachment 45282

View attachment 45283

3- Last resort
View attachment 45284
Lol I have used my torch. Haven’t shot any holes in the house yet though

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Back in the late '70s, a guy where I worked was being annoyed every night around 03:00 by a woodpecker attacking the siding of his house. This went on for a few weeks.

Finally, one night he'd had enough, and used a shotgun to put an end to the problem.

He said the extra damage to the siding, and slight one-time annoyance to his neighbors was well worth it for the instant satisfaction! :)

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Give this insectside a shot, Talstar P. It has done wonders for me with my insect infestation we were having (our home backs up to a overgrown greenbelt). It’s more of a commercial grade product that can kill/repeal most insects for 60-90 days depending on your location/weather. Where I buy it: Talstar P Professional Insecticide

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Give this insectside a shot, Talstar P. It has done wonders for me with my infestation of insects (our home backs up to a overgrown greenbelt). It’s more of a commercial grade product that can kill/repeal most insects for 60-90 days depending on your location/weather. Where I buy it: Talstar P Professional Insecticide
I was considering trying that. Glad to hear about a concentrate

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 45282

View attachment 45283

3- Last resort
View attachment 45284
Any snowflakes harmed in the taking of picture #2? ;)

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the UK there is SpiderX spray - uncertain how effective it is - love the idea of Napalm - Naplam is only one molecule away from petroleum jelly / Vaseline - now which molecule?

Reaction score
I don't understand how IR has anything to do with spiders, but it isn't good either way. Hardly anyone can be happy about a spider infestation, so you better get rid of it as soon as possible. Black widows can be dangerous to the residents of your home, so I suggest you go to Enviro Pest Control Sydney | Call (02) 9638 4099 | Enviro PCS. They use special products to which the insects are sensitive, but it is safe for people. I hope this helps you deal with the pests. No, I'm not bad about insects. A few spiders in the house are normal. But when their number increases every day, it becomes a problem, and you feel it.

Last edited: