Splitter, cable or other issue?

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 4 port splitter () that is connected to a switch ().
I have 3 of the EmpireTec IPC-Color4K-T180 cameras and 1 of the EmpireTec IPC-T5442T-ZEB cameras connected to the splitter.
Initially I had 1 of the EmpireTec IPC-Color4K-T180 cameras and 1 of the EmpireTec IPC-T5442T-ZEB cameras on the splitter and everything was good.

Then I added the 2 additional EmpireTec IPC-Color4K-T180 cameras.
I found that when the 1 IPC-Color4K-T180 camera that I had "Illuminator" set to automatic, actually turned on the Illuminator, then the splitter kept rebooting.
Turning off the Illuminator fixed the issue, so I am assuming that the problem was the power draw.

Now, what I am finding is that the original IPC-Color4K-T180 and the IPC-T5442T-ZEB are not alerting consistently like they were, and when I look at the BI Status window, on the Log tab, I get LOTS of "Events: subscription 00000190" on the new cameras.

I disabled one of the IPC-Color4K-T180 cameras and that helped some. But I am still get lots of the same warning (23700 when I started writing this, and 23820 as I finish (about 5 minutes) of them since yesterday at 5pm - after disabling 1 of the new IPC-Color4K-T180 camera and rebooting the BI machine).

I have gone back into the Camera Settings and did the "Configure" on the camera to see if there was a problem with the camera configuration, but it is doing the same thing.

Could this be a result of:
too many camera on the splitter
or a problem with the cable going to the splitter (it is a premade Amcrest Cat63 cable ())
or just too much traffic over the cable
or do I have something else going on?

Thanks,

Eric

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could this be a result of.....
......problem with the cable going to the splitter (it is a premade Amcrest Cat63 cable (
Info in your link says the cable is CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) so the FIRST thing I'd do is replace it with a conventional (round) CAT-6 or 5e cable (not flat) which is solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA). CCA is NOT good especially with POE.

100 ft. of flat CCA is a disaster waiting to happen, IMO. Even if that turns out to not be the problem now I can assure you it very likely will be at some point in the future. :cool:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it may just be coincidence. The splitter not working with added load is simple - too much load for either the port that you're running it from or the splitter itself. The events subscription error is related to BI trying to pull events from the cam via ONVIF. In the video configure screen there's a checkbox for "Get ONVIF trigger events." Uncheck that and the errors will go away. But that doesn't work obviously if you need to pull ONVIF events (e.g., IVS triggers) from the cam. If you don't have ONVIF setup on the cam and/or maybe if the ONVIF user/credentials aren't right that may cause the errors. I suppose the splitter could cause some error but less likely. You can rule that out by removing the splitter from the equation and seeing if you still get the errors. Which I think you probably will. You get less when you remove one of the cams because you likely have both set up the same way and there are less cams to cause the errors.

What are you using to detect motion and generate the alerts? BI or on-cam motion detection?

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@TonyR - I hadn't paid attention to the fact that it was CCA. It will be replaced as soon as my box of cable gets here.

@Mike A. - I am using the camera's motion detection, and it was working great until adding the 2 additional cameras so I think the configuration/user account for ONVIF is good. I am going to disable the other new one and see what happens. Unfortunately, if I remove the splitter than I can't get to the camera since there is no way to physically reach the cable to the camera without the splitter.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just had an issue where one of my cameras stopped sending onvif alerts but the camera streamed fine. It ended up being onvif credentials as mentioned above. I went into the camera and could not reset the onvif account password. It said old password was incorrect, which I knew was not the case After a camera default with new passwords it started sending alerts again. Maybe check your camera passwords.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
100 ft. of flat CCA is a disaster waiting to happen
It's even worse, that CCA wire is AWG 28 CCA.

Resistance of 100' of wire:

AWG 28 aluminum: 10.6 ohms
AWG 28 CCA: 10.0 ohms
AWG 24 copper: 2.57 ohms (standard cat 5e wire)

With the current carrying conductors doubled, the round-trip resistance of the 100' POE cable should be the same numbers. I'm a bit surprised the CCA cable works to power even one camera, much less 3 of them.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe when the cams were coming up and down with all on the splitter something got corrupted. I was trying to run an IR emitter with one of mine and it would start and stop over and over until it finally didn't come up and I had to do a reset to get it back.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went ahead and added a new user to the camera, then deleted and re-created the camera in BI. The BI Camera Settings -> Video -> Find/Inspect did not recognize the camera (it did the thing at the end of the dialog where it has various models with a "?" and then did not fill in the streams with the new Userid/Password. Checked the camera and the settings matched. Put back the previous credentials and it worked, but the "Events" kept increasing. So I dropped the ONVIF events and just went with BI and for now I'll see if that works, until I can get the cable replaced.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is continuing more than a few minutes, then Under Network > Access Platform, try turning onvif authenticator off in the camera and see if that stops it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As Tony stated, the flat cable is a nightmare.
The small diameter wire of 28AWG is terrible.
It's possible you have damaged the splitter because that cable could not provide enough power.
Never use this sort of flat ethernet cable for anything! Cable needs to be of either 24 or 23awg wire size.
Why we harp about NEVER using CCA ethernet cable. | IP Cam Talk

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj Thanks, I'll look at that.

@looney2ns - I got the cable when I got the reolink cameras, before I found this site, and it would fit through the hole to the outside of the house where the cable came in, so I used it. It is/was always (after finding the information here) only temporary until my real cabling gets run.