Spots in FOV of new IPC-HDW5231R-ZE in IR mode

holland53

n3wb
Reaction score
The first night after installing the subject camera, there are some spots showing up when the camera goes into IR mode. No issues with visible light.

This is also the first time the camera operated without the protective film in place. I waited until the unit was installed and fully buttoned up before removing it.

Prior to being installed, the camera spent several days/nights active on my workbench, surveilling the basement ceiling. Then it spent a few more days in the unconditioned attic above the garage. In each case, the picture in IR mode was perfect, even with the film in place.

The only thing I can imagine is that the film itself left some sort of residue behind, and that I perhaps need to just clean the outside of the view window. I'm not exactly sure what the best method of doing that is (Soap/water? Window cleaner? Option C?). I DID search for this, on both here and general Google search, and I guess I just didn't input the right search string to avoid all the false hits.

One thing I did do, was go out with a paper towel, and wipe it gently just to see if there was at least any change in the splotch pattern, as the weather was kind of misty. There wasn't.

Drivey & Garage 2019-1-5 11.27.24.695 PM.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The first night after installing the subject camera, there are some spots showing up when the camera goes into IR mode. No issues with visible light.

This is also the first time the camera operated without the protective film in place. I waited until the unit was installed and fully buttoned up before removing it.

Prior to being installed, the camera spent several days/nights active on my workbench, surveilling the basement ceiling. Then it spent a few more days in the unconditioned attic above the garage. In each case, the picture in IR mode was perfect, even with the film in place.

The only thing I can imagine is that the film itself left some sort of residue behind, and that I perhaps need to just clean the outside of the view window. I'm not exactly sure what the best method of doing that is (Soap/water? Window cleaner? Option C?). I DID search for this, on both here and general Google search, and I guess I just didn't input the right search string to avoid all the false hits.

One thing I did do, was go out with a paper towel, and wipe it gently just to see if there was at least any change in the splotch pattern, as the weather was kind of misty. There wasn't.

View attachment 37566
Turn the camera a bit so that the ir does not reflect off the left side.
is there a light source near the camera?

holland53

n3wb
Reaction score
I turned the camera - to the left, actually the opposite of what you suggested now that I reread it. But it did give me a bit of data.

The smaller bright circle in the center of the original image does move; i.e., stays in the same spot relative to FOV. When I moved it back, I didn't return it to the exact same position, but it's not as bad as it was originally. So it seems like a blemish of some sort is there, and is getting lit up to a greater or lesser extent relative to how much of that wall is in frame.

Oh - and no, no light source near the camera.

Here's the current image, after being panned left and back. I actually have slightly more wall in frame now, but the aberrations are less severe.

Drivey & Garage 2019-1-6 10.06.50.624 PM.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I turned the camera - to the left, actually the opposite of what you suggested now that I reread it. But it did give me a bit of data.

The smaller bright circle in the center of the original image does move; i.e., stays in the same spot relative to FOV. When I moved it back, I didn't return it to the exact same position, but it's not as bad as it was originally. So it seems like a blemish of some sort is there, and is getting lit up to a greater or lesser extent relative to how much of that wall is in frame.

Oh - and no, no light source near the camera.

Here's the current image, after being panned left and back. I actually have slightly more wall in frame now, but the aberrations are less severe.

View attachment 37577
The IR is reflecting back into the camera. Likely from that light fixture on the left as you can see. Cover it and see if it goes away.

holland53

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd bother with a wet cloth, but maybe a dark cloth.
Does zooming in or out change it at all?
Zooming in makes the spots larger and more diffuse. I'm thinking there might be dust on the inside of the window, which only became apparent under these conditions.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IR could be still be reflecting from the wall or that planter below. That's most likely all it is.
You won't know until you position the cam in such a way that there is no reflective surfaces in the view as a test.
I did warn you in another post about so much wall being in view.
That much of the wall in view is also affecting the exposure of the cam.

holland53

n3wb
Reaction score
IR could be still be reflecting from the wall or that planter below. That's most likely all it is.
You won't know until you position the cam in such a way that there is no reflective surfaces in the view as a test.
I did warn you in another post about so much wall being in view.
That much of the wall in view is also affecting the exposure of the cam.
Agreed. I have it adjusted to the point where the spots are more faint, and I can also see a bit of the wall (and the door). Kind of a semi-happy medium :)