Squelchy audio record on Blue Iris with Amcrest Cameras

Reaction score
I have 10 Amcrest IP2M-841 cameras recording with Blue Iris. There is something very wrong with the audio recording as it comes out very squelchy and poor sounding in any recordings and also seems to be delayed slightly.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong with the recording settings? What should I check for?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 10 Amcrest IP2M-841 cameras recording with Blue Iris. There is something very wrong with the audio recording as it comes out very squelchy and poor sounding in any recordings and also seems to be delayed slightly.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong with the recording settings? What should I check for?

Thanks!
Are these cams running wired or wireless ?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks!
Do these cams have an audio noise filter that can be turned off in settings? Try that.

Reaction score
Cameras are on wifi. I'll try a wired test and see if that changes anything. Hard to believe audio can't be reliably streamed over wifi...

The noise filter in the Amcrest audio settings is enabled.

Reaction score
Just following up on this (sorry, got really busy). I checked one of my cameras that is on wired ethernet and the audio is still crap. Sounds like that scene in Apollo 13 when the cold and nearly dead tape player is floating around the spaceship. Loud noises come through clearly but speech is almost completely worthless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just following up on this (sorry, got really busy). I checked one of my cameras that is on wired ethernet and the audio is still crap. Sounds like that scene in Apollo 13 when the cold and nearly dead tape player is floating around the spaceship. Loud noises come through clearly but speech is almost completely worthless.
check the codecs you are selecting in the camera...what options do they give you? how does it sound via browser?

Reaction score
Well I feel silly now because I just spent some time playing with it and turning off the noise filter fixed it. Someone actually suggested that above, but I misread and thought they wanted me to have it on.

The noise filter was totally trashing the audio and I could only see it being useful if you intend to situate yourself immediately in front of the camera and speak at it, like in a video chat. Otherwise, it just ends up wrecking any sound that is more than a few feet from the camera.

There is another audio setting for microphone volume, which is set to 50 by default. I turned that up to 100 because I couldn't see how there would be a downside (more noise?).

Reaction score
The default codec option is AAC at 16k, with other options being G.711A and G.711Mu. I did not experiment with changing these.