Sricam motion sensor alarming every minute??

notnilc20

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just got my first IP Camera today and I finally figured out (thanks to this site) how to set up the email alert when motion is detected by the camera. My problem is, is that I have the sensor turned all the way to 10 which is supposed to be the least sensitive and I'm getting an email every minute about motion detection and there is nothing on the picture except my empty room. There is nothing in the room to make the sensor activate, so I don't know why it keeps sensing motion? Can anyone help me? Also, I understand this Sricam is not the best of quality based on what some others have said, but I've already bought it so I need to make this work. Thanks. :single_eye:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just got my first IP Camera today and I finally figured out (thanks to this site) how to set up the email alert when motion is detected by the camera. My problem is, is that I have the sensor turned all the way to 10 which is supposed to be the least sensitive and I'm getting an email every minute about motion detection and there is nothing on the picture except my empty room. There is nothing in the room to make the sensor activate, so I don't know why it keeps sensing motion? Can anyone help me? Also, I understand this Sricam is not the best of quality based on what some others have said, but I've already bought it so I need to make this work. Thanks. :single_eye:
Welcome to the forum...Lower it to 3 and see if it helps...there is no "sensor" it uses the changes in the image to detect "motion"...

notnilc20

n3wb
Reaction score
ok thanks. I've tried 3, 5, 7, 10 and still it's going crazy alerting me every minute. So you say it doesn't have a sensor but uses the change in the image to detect motion? That's helpful to know. I have the IR night vision on and every now and then I'll see some dust go by on my live feed, could something like this set it off even if the sensitivity is set to lowest setting? Thanks again for your help.

notnilc20

n3wb
Reaction score
OK it seems to be related to when the IR is on or there is low light. I turned on the lights in the room and it worked perfectly and I tested it to make sure it would pick up my movements and it did so. I then waited 20 mins and no alerts until I walked in front of the camera again. So that is good. However, the moment I turned the lights off, it started sending me alerts every minute again and on the live feed it shows motion alarm. So I think it's the IR, however, I then shut the IR off and the camera is showing a pitch dark room with absolutely no movements or screen changes, but it is still triggering the alarm? I don't get it. I wish I would've paid the extra 20 bucks or so for the better camera. Is there any hope? Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you buy the camera? Can you send it back?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree, can you send it back?

It sounds to me like you are getting a pixelation during the times when its dark and the IR is being used. This change in the pixels is what the camera is looking at to determine motion, as @fenderman has said above. If enough of the pixelation is present, you might be tripping the motion on that alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

notnilc20

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree, can you send it back?

It sounds to me like you are getting a pixelation during the times when its dark and the IR is being used. This change in the pixels is what the camera is looking at to determine motion, as @fenderman has said above. If enough of the pixelation is present, you might be tripping the motion on that alone.
I bought it off ebay and when i recieved it, the reciept says Lightinthebox.com. I'm sure i could send it back but what would be a camera that i could use to monitor a room in the dark, as i want to monitor my house when i'm out of town, but don't want to have my house lights on all the time you know?

Also, yes i think you are spot on with the pixelation theory. On my computer monitor while looking at the camera image with the IR on, you can see the black change ever so slightly (pixelation) and this must be causing it as this does not occur when the lights are on.

Can you tell me what camera will be best for me? Here is what i am looking for:
1) email alert is a must
2) sd storage at camera
3) ptz preferred but not necessary
4) motion detect working properly at night using IR.
5) remote live viewig via Iphone.
6) wireless

Thanks for any and all help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-ds-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html
Has advanced motion detection including PIR sensor and line cross detection...
Wide angle lens...so you dont need ptz...ptz is a gimmick for most case uses..you will not sit there panning the whole time...better off with a wide angle high res view...
You can get the 3mp version for 119 via aliexpress but you will have trouble with firmware updates....
This laview is 109 via amazon on sale now...its also made by hikvision and has the same features as the nellys camera...just a different design..
http://www.amazon.com/LaView-LV-PC902F2-W-Detection-Motion-Wireless/dp/B00PKO52B8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1435694203&sr=8-10&keywords=laview+1080p

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

notnilc20

n3wb
Reaction score
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-ds-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html
Has advanced motion detection including PIR sensor and line cross detection...
Wide angle lens...so you dont need ptz...ptz is a gimmick for most case uses..you will not sit there panning the whole time...better off with a wide angle high res view...
You can get the 3mp version for 119 via aliexpress but you will have trouble with firmware updates....
This laview is 109 via amazon on sale now...its also made by hikvision and has the same features as the nellys camera...just a different design..
http://www.amazon.com/LaView-LV-PC902F2-W-Detection-Motion-Wireless/dp/B00PKO52B8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1435694203&sr=8-10&keywords=laview+1080p
Fenderman, thank you. That Panda Laview camera seems great. Sorry for the newbie question, but when it says P2P viewing this is referring to remote viewing via Iphone? Also could i set up email alert with this camera? I didn't see that feature mentioned but maybe this is possible with P2P.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, thank you. That Panda Laview camera seems great. Sorry for the newbie question, but when it says P2P viewing this is referring to remote viewing via Iphone? Also could i set up email alert with this camera? I didn't see that feature mentioned but maybe this is possible with P2P.
You can setup email alerts ( i have the same camera doing that) I can attached a few pictures to the email...you can view with hikvisions ivms 4500 app or laviews app..same thing...dont worry about the p2p...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I too have the LaView and think that it is a good camera for the price. Works great for indoor shots where you would want to see an entire room without the need for panning or tilting due to the 2.8mm lens.

Stole

n3wb
Reaction score
May be is late, but for other users, lower resolution to sd instead of hd, and it will never hapen untill somebody pas in front of the camera.