SSD HD Failure 2nd time :(

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my main sytem SSD has failed again. It failed april 2022 and I replaced it. What am I doing wrong?

It is a Sandisk 240GB SSD. On a Dell Optiplex. I inserted the drive to another computer and also can't get past the windows screen with a loading circle. I have unplugged it a few times over the year when I can't access the Dell remotely to reboot it. I wonder if that is what ruined the drive?

I run windows 10 on it and store the NEW blue iris folder on it. So it is always recording before pushing data to a Purple 4TB HD. (I thought this was the popular way)

Is anyone else going through drives? Can I be doing something better? It is only a $20 SSD but at least 4 hrs of my time to realize what failed and reload the software and get it all back working again. Please help.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my main sytem SSD has failed again. It failed april 2022 and I replaced it. What am I doing wrong?

It is a Sandisk 240GB SSD. On a Dell Optiplex. I inserted the drive to another computer and also can't get past the windows screen with a loading circle.

I run windows 10 on it and store the NEW blue iris folder on it. So it is always recording before pushing data to a Purple 4TB HD.

Is anyone else going through drives? Can I be doing something better? It is only a $20 SSD but at least 4 hrs of my time to realize what failed and reload the software and get it all back working again. Please help.

hmmm .. perhaps time to run a test on it ??

From Crucial
The easiest way to keep track of the number of bad sectors on an SSD is to run ChkDsk (short for "check disk") in Windows®. After checking the drive, ChkDsk will report the number of bad sectors it found. Make a note of what that number is and run ChkDsk again after a couple of days
:

From Seagate:
All Seagate Solid State Drives have built-in error-checking capabilities. To save time and the hassle of shipping a SSD that may not be defective at all, please test your drive to see if it really is defective.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SSD (especially the cheap ones) are not designed for the constant writing of video so you are hitting up on the limit of those $20 drives quickly. A higher end one and you might get away with it.

You should only have BI and Windows on the SSD.

Put NEW on your Purple 4TB HDD and do not use STORED. Simply leave it all on NEW on the HDD. Only use STORED if you are going to a NAS.

This is how most of us do it and our drives last years.

Problem solved LOL.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

It is a Sandisk 240GB SSD. On a Dell Optiplex. I inserted the drive to another computer and also can't get past the windows screen with a loading circle. I have unplugged it a few times over the year when I can't access the Dell remotely to reboot it. I wonder if that is what ruined the drive?

I run windows 10 on it and store the NEW blue iris folder on it. So it is always recording before pushing data to a Purple 4TB HD. (I thought this was the popular way)

Cheap low end small drive coupled with writing your new folder to it. That drive is so low end that sandisk doesnt even provide a TBW endurance rating for it. If you want to keep writing your new folder to the drive, look at a quality drive from crucial or samsung and pay attention to the TBW rating most drives will outlast that by a significant margin and you run the manufactures software to test the drive health every so often. Generally if you double the drive size you will double the endurance. With the right drive depending on how many TB your write you can use your ssd for many years with no issue.

Reaction score
I have a Samsung ssd 840 pro that’s 10 years old in my HomeSeer home automation computer. Admittedly, while it runs 24/7, it is not recording video.

It’s my understanding that ssd’s aren’t made to record video so in my Blue Iris machine, the ssd is for the OS, database and clips. The video is on a 12Tb WD Purple.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
EVERYONE'S comments make great sense. I know better than to write directly to SSD constantly but I thought that is who people were doing it for better alert speed playback from the new folder. I guess everything comes with compromise. I must have misunderstood this.

I will try to get the drive repaired with the suggested software mat200 but I think it may be toast. I can't even get it to load on another computer.

I have 2 other BI computers at different properties. They have been running new folder on the SSD for 4 years and no issues. I must have gotten lucky on those. Time to look for drrives with a better TBW! Or run them onto the purple drives only for recording.

I appreciate the help and suggestions, everyone!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
EVERYONE'S comments make great sense. I know better than to write directly to SSD constantly but I thought that is who people were doing it for better alert speed playback from the new folder. I guess everything comes with compromise. I must have misunderstood this.

I will try to get the drive repaired with the suggested software mat200 but I think it may be toast. I can't even get it to load on another computer.

I have 2 other BI computers at different properties. They have been running new folder on the SSD for 4 years and no issues. I must have gotten lucky on those. Time to look for drrives with a better TBW! Or run them onto the purple drives only for recording.

I appreciate the help and suggestions, everyone!
There are plenty of SSDs that are just fine with the writing video to... It just depends on how much video you write and the drives endurance ratings The people doing this are using quality drives that are likely larger than yours as well.... You can't use the bottom end stuff for this.
24/7.

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
Just FYI - TBW means "terabytes written" which means if the drive is rated for 300 TBW then it can only be expected to work that long. It can have a 5 year warranty but the gotcha is that it still can't exceed the TBW rating. As other people have said that's a low-end drive. The other thing to remember is that typically bigger drives (at least 1tb for SSD/NVMe) will have the higher TBW ratings.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been an SSD snob since day one, using only Intel and Samsung. Zero failures in over 10 years. Just one data sample and doesn't prove anything, and I'll probably get punished now for shooting my mouth off.
There are some newer samsung ssds that may unfortunately have higher failure rates, which is disappointing as I currently run exclusively samsung.

Another consideration is drive size and overprovisioning. While you may not need a huge drive for your OS, larger drives do generally last longer and have higher TBW ratings. Over provisioning is making the volume / partition on the drive smaller than the actual capacity, generally by10-20%. This can help keep the drive healthier if it's pretty full.

I generally haven't had a great track record with san disk but do have some of their SD cards. I needed a USB-C flash drive for something last year and san disk was the only option in stock, the damn thing gets hot enough to burn you. I haven't measured the temp but wouldn't be surprised if it's 180+ F.

Think of storage in you computer like tires on a car. They wear out over time and eventually you get a flat tire or a more catastrophic blowout. The longer you drive on bald and bulging tires the more likely you are to experience catastrophic failure.

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Always something new to learn. That’s one of the reasons I like the challenge of IP cameras in Blue Iris. This small 240GB SSD has been recording 7x 4MP cams for almost a year. Wonder the TBW on 275MP/s 24/7 a year.

What SSD brand and models are you guys using to record on Blue Iris? That fit in a dell OptiPlex? The people that are buying the higher end versions? If that is even necessary. I guess I should do some test on the purple hard drive and see how quick you can seek alerts for same day and if I need it faster.

I must be on borrowed worn-out tires :) with my other two blue iris machines. I just created a new folder on there purple hard drives to start sending data there. I wonder if I should take the time to replace the operating system SSD that has been working so hard for the last four years? Blue Iris was not too happy about me creating a new location for the files to start recording. It didn’t work at first but I think it started after I pause the recordings and start it over again.

I had no idea what TBW stand for, so thank you. I started using that term and search engines on Amazon listings but the data is not provided on any of the specifications. Probably because I’m looking at lower end drives. I’ll see if they manufacture website list that, but it’s super hard to find the exact model number of some of these hard drives, they just have everything hidden on Amazon.

I have sort of become an SSD snob as well. Except I’m buying the cheap lower end ones. I got rid of tons of 7200 RPM drives I was using for my photography and video business. I replace them all with small 2 TB SSD‘s that are five if not 10 times faster transfer speeds. I have been buying the Samsung T7 72 TB for around $140. These are small, external USB see drives for long-term storage. Every time I buy one I buy a second one for back up. So I have two of everything stored at different locations. I probably have 20!

On my video editing computer I use Samsung 970 Evo’s on M.two interface. They don't fit my Dell Optiplex 3040 SFF - i7-6700 Quad - that I know of. But those are crazy expensive for Blue Iris machine. I’m sure they’re cheaper now but I paid $400 for one terabyte when I built that machine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
SSD (especially the cheap ones) are not designed for the constant writing of video so you are hitting up on the limit of those $20 drives quickly. A higher end one and you might get away with it.

You should only have BI and Windows on the SSD.

Put NEW on your Purple 4TB HDD and do not use STORED. Simply leave it all on NEW on the HDD. Only use STORED if you are going to a NAS.

This is how most of us do it and our drives last years.

Problem solved LOL.
CRAP!
This makes perfect sense now that you point it out, #wittaj, and I have now changed my configuration so the New Folder and the
Stored Folder are writing to my Purple drive. I don't remember, but I suspect that by default BI writes to C:\BlueIris\New", meaning the SSD
drive for most of us.

Also I am a little confused by
"...do not use STORED. Simply leave it all on NEW on the HDD."
How does a person go about not using Stored?

I'm already feeling sheepish, so did I miss this storage configuration advice in the Wiki or Cliff Notes?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CRAP!
This makes perfect sense now that you point it out, #wittaj, and I have now changed my configuration so the New Folder and the
Stored Folder are writing to my Purple drive. I don't remember, but I suspect that by default BI writes to C:\BlueIris\New", meaning the SSD
drive for most of us.

Also I am a little confused by

How does a person go about not using Stored?

I'm already feeling sheepish, so did I miss this storage configuration advice in the Wiki or Cliff Notes?

Thanks!
BI can keep track of everything in the NEW folder. Most of us here have everything in NEW and do not use STORED. I have months of video and my playback is fine.

It is a waste of CPU% and wears out the HDD faster if you are constantly moving the volume of video files created from NEW to STORED on the same drive. It just doesn't make sense. Inevitably it will also slow down trying to watch stuff if file moving is happening during that time.

And if you have two HDD in the computer, it doesn't make sense to have NEW on one and STORED on the other.

Best practice would be to split your cameras on the two drives and simply have a NEW on each drive.

So simple case you have 8 cameras (2 on each side of the house). You put one from each side of the house onto each drive. That way if one drive poops out you don't lose full coverage of a side of the house.

The only time it makes sense to use the STORED folder is if you are moving files to a NAS.

Reaction score
BI can keep track of everything in the NEW folder. Most of us here have everything in NEW and do not use STORED. I have months of video and my playback is fine.

It is a waste of CPU% and wears out the HDD faster if you are constantly moving the volume of video files created from NEW to STORED on the same drive. It just doesn't make sense. Inevitably it will also slow down trying to watch stuff if file moving is happening during that time.

And if you have two HDD in the computer, it doesn't make sense to have NEW on one and STORED on the other.

Best practice would be to split your cameras on the two drives and simply have a NEW on each drive.

So simple case you have 8 cameras (2 on each side of the house). You put one from each side of the house onto each drive. That way if one drive poops out you don't lose full coverage of a side of the house.

The only time it makes sense to use the STORED folder is if you are moving files to a NAS.
I apologize for being so dumb here, but how do I NOT use Stored?

If I leave Stored blank then BI gives me an error message:
1679623674239.png
and if I try to set Stored Folder path to New I get another error message:
1679623757390.png

I'm fundamentally missing your point, apologies.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you delete or change the names of ALERTS, NEW, or STORED then BI will not be happy. You must leave those intact.

You must leave the D:\BlueIris\Stored folder there or you will create a bunch of problems.

You simply don't use it. Put down 0GB and then under the NEW options, you don't move to stored and simply select Delete.

And then you should let it delete based on storage not on days.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On my continuous recording box, I do write first to an SSD because the response time is MUCH better when I use the timeline to review many clips at the same time. When I move back to older clips that have already moved to the mechanical HDD, it gets a lot slower. I've been buying used enterprise SSDs on ebay for that purpose. First was a Intel SSD DC S4500 1.92TB (SATA) with supposedly 3270 TBW endurance, but it died disturbingly quickly as the controller went bad just a few months after I got it. Luck of the draw I guess. Second I went with a Kioxia 1.92TB XD5 (NVMe m.2 22110). Not sure exactly what the endurance is supposed to be on that but as far as I can tell it is about equivalent to the Intel. Been writing continuously for 11 months so far without issue.

It would not surprise me if a $20 250GB SSD has endurance below 100 TBW.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Always something new to learn. That’s one of the reasons I like the challenge of IP cameras in Blue Iris. This small 240GB SSD has been recording 7x 4MP cams for almost a year. Wonder the TBW on 275MP/s 24/7 a year.
An easy way to estimate is to look at your stored drive and see how many days of storage you have and use the total storage folder size to calculate. So for example if you have a 4tb drive and using all of it and a have month of storage you are writing about 4tb per month.