SSD HD Failure 2nd time :(

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used the info about and calculated TBW on the SSD from the cameras to be just under a year. So this all makes great sense now.

I was able to stop using the Stored folder (put 0) and only use the New folder (put 3500 then delete). Are you guys still using an Alerts folder, or should I put zero for that one and push all my alert recordings into the Stored folder too?

I did a few test and I could not see a speed difference watching clips from the HD vs. SSD. I only review 1 camera at a time with BP2008's BI3 on Chrome. It actually seemed to perform better!

Lastly, is there a way to plug in a simple USB thumb drive to the Dell and backup the Windows 10 and BI settings? That way if it fails again I can buy a new SSD and more quickly get up and running again.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use software like Samsung Magician to monitor TBW of samsung SSDs. Other MFGs have other to0ls and there are generic t00ls that can read the S.M.A.R.T. data on a drive will show TBW and other drive usage data.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you guys still using an Alerts folder, or should I put zero for that one and push all my alert recordings into the Stored folder too?
The Alerts folder is usually only used for high res jpeg snapshots when the camera is triggered, if you have that enabled. Not sure if it gets used for anything else.

I set mine to a 1 GB size limit and it is holding 9101 files right now. Blue Iris thinks it has 8979 files.

1679682539321.png

1679682618939.png

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the help with the alerts folder. I thought that was the folder anytime there was a motion alert……that it saved the 15 or so seconds of video. Which always confused me because sometimes after it played that small section of video, the playback would stop and frustrate me.

apparently I’m smarter than I remember, because I backed up a Blue Iris file on my cloud drive. and when I imported it, it brought back all my cameras in settings, which save me at least an hour or two. I highly suggest anyone reading this that’s not super advance like the other guys does this!

I also got this cool USB adapter so I can plug in a second small SSD to the Dell tower and use that to back up the entire operating system so that if it fails again in a year or two, it should be much easier to restore the computer. There’s also an M.2 in a lot of these dell computers, but I did not realize that until I had already got the other hard drives.

I have a 4 TB hard drive, which is good for about 2.5 weeks. I would like to double that and make it 8 TB total available. But I’m still trying to figure out how to fit that in such a small computer or if I have to swap out the entire drive for a new 8tb one.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as the motherboard has a SATA connection, you can use it. Even if it doesn't have a cage or proper location for a 2nd drive, you aren't moving the computer around so tape it or velcro it somewhere inside.

Many of us do this with SFF computers.

Or take out the optical disc drive and/or use it's SATA port if there isn't a free one.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As long as the motherboard has a SATA connection, you can use it. Even if it doesn't have a cage or proper location for a 2nd drive, you aren't moving the computer around so tape it or velcro it somewhere inside.

Many of us do this with SFF computers.

Or take out the optical disc drive and/or use it's SATA port if there isn't a free one.
Oh yes. Maybe I wasn’t clear. That is what I have done already. I removed the CD drive to install the SSD to run the OS. I just taped it in there. Then use the HD cradle for the purple drive. But wanted to add a 3rd drive (another 4TB purple) but I don’t think there is room inside the case for that? Maybe add an external case for it and connect it via USB?? Although it is probably smarter to just replace the current recording drive.

Reaction score
Get an M.2 drive and put the OS, BI and the BI DB on it.

Dump the SSD. Get a second Purple HDD, and mount it where you have the SSD. Get the 10TB one and don't look back. It is not much more money and you will never have to worry about storage again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No you do not want to add it by USB. Even though theoretical USB speeds show it can do it, many that have tried showed that it cannot sustain the speed necessary for video. I tested it with two 2MP cameras and it was not able to keep up after about 25 minutes. But others have said they have it working.

Keep in mind when I tested it, BI wasn't giving errors - I was watching the transfer speeds in Task Manager and saw it dropping below the speed of what the 2 cameras were producing. As always, your mileage may vary.

I have a SFF and have an SSD and 2 Purple HDD in it. As long as you have an open SATA port on the motherboard, there is room in that case to fit another drive, even if just laying there LOL. Or get an extra long SATA cable and velcro the drive to the outside.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Any value to using the SSD to store the ALERTS rather than putting ALERTS on the purple HDD?