SSD vs HDD - Long Term Reliability

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
A great article that references the Back Blaze companies tracking and experience in using both media. Given the only advantages of using SSD over HDD (as of this writing) is speed and throughput but the huge costs doesn’t seem to be worth it in terms of the touted long term use (reliability)!

One would expect a minimum of five years never mind ten years of service life from SSD’s?!?

Maybe in the next ten years the huge costs will go down along with increased capacity.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As system drives I've had no issue. As storage for footage it may be a different issue. My current system is on an SSD purchased in 2013 and I've spent a lot of time on the pc daily since then. I'd have no hesitation using a good brand as a system drive. CCTV storage is another matter.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As system drives I've had no issue. As storage for footage it may be a different issue. My current system is on an SSD purchased in 2013 and I've spent a lot of time on the pc daily since then. I'd have no hesitation using a good brand as a system drive. CCTV storage is another matter.
I would like to see the capacity and price match current HDD. As of this writing you don’t see a 12-18 TB SSD at the same price as HDD.

Just a 4-6 TB SSD price is out of this world expensive!

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't forget the difference between consumer and enterprise SSD drives, as their price is much higher. There are RAID servers with enterprise SSDs, useful for accessing data fast (AI, modeling, etc) along with faster RAID recovery, while HDD is still good for standard file storage. It takes a day+ for a failed 8TB drive to recover with a replacement.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I would like to see the capacity and price match current HDD. As of this writing you don’t see a 12-18 TB SSD at the same price as HDD.

Just a 4-6 TB SSD price is out of this world expensive!
As above, I'd be hesitant to use an SSD as a footage storage / write drive. As a system (OS / program drive) they're a no brainer and as reliable if not more than a HDD.