SSH FTP

ITHelpMe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can BI upload pictures to SSH FTP Server? Specifically, it's BitVise SSH FTP server and when I do a test, I can see that it authenticated but then terminated right away. I've confirmed that using other clients such as FileZilla works fine and I can create/upload data. In BI log status, I see yellow exclamation and the # keeps incrementing on FTP post job. What I'm trying to do is to tell BI to upload a snippet or jpg when it detects motion. Many thanks.

ITHelpMe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll answer my own question. I contacted BI support and they said they do not support SFTP. What I intend to do now is to install bitorrent sync and upload the pictures that way or setup a FTP server in which BI supports. I wonder which method will consume less CPU as we all know BI consumes plenty of CPU on its own already so I don't want to install any more software that may eat more CPU cycles.

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll answer my own question. I contacted BI support and they said they do not support SFTP. What I intend to do now is to install bitorrent sync and upload the pictures that way or setup a FTP server in which BI supports. I wonder which method will consume less CPU as we all know BI consumes plenty of CPU on its own already so I don't want to install any more software that may eat more CPU cycles.
Hi ITHelpMe. I am using BT Sync for something VERY similar and I can tell you that if you are uploading clips, you are fine. If you are uploading 2 days worth of stead footage, not so much. When the file that the camera creates closes, THEN sync will index it and begin the process of sending. If it tries to index it (and it might even say it did) and start sending, when it gets to the point where it indexed the first time it will see it as an error because the file is still growing.

Long story short, sync is great for clips, not so great for archiving DAYS at a time. Try Syncthing and see if that helps.

ITHelpMe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks ibrouting. I'm going the setup FileZilla server or another that BI will support. This way BI will quiesce what it needs to do and hopefully I'll save some cpu cycles rather than installing another software. I'm running on a i5 laptop and cpu is scarce at the moment. I'll look into Syncthing as well.

ElK888

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi ITHelpMe,

So, how was your setup doing?
Are you able to use SSH FTP for BI?

Thanks