Stand alone internal battery operated cams

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
What are the best stand alone camera that run on internal battery power? I want to put a couple in my work vehicles that I have to park out on the main street.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have been around here long enough to know that most here will not recommend a battery operated camera lol, especially if you want "security".

If it is just for nature watching, then maybe ok, but if you plan to use them to catch perps, forget about it...

You would be better off putting cameras on the house optically zoomed to the vehicles and installing a device inside the vehicle like what Ring has:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder how long an Amcrest IP2M-841 (or similar) would run (without running the vehicle battery down too much) plugged into a USB 5 volt/ 2 amp charger plugged into a cigar lighter socket. If the vehicle was driven daily it probably would be no issue.

It could record to a microSD card.

A bigger issue may be that most newer vehicles that even have cigar lighter sockets don't keep them powered on when the ignition is off like the older vehicles did.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
You have been around here long enough to know that most here will not recommend a battery operated camera lol, especially if you want "security".

If it is just for nature watching, then maybe ok, but if you plan to use them to catch perps, forget about it...

You would be better off putting cameras on the house optically zoomed to the vehicles and installing a device inside the vehicle like what Ring has:

No view of the Main Street, too far for WiFI. Really just to view activity on street.