Stand alone LPR

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a 4k Lorex system which I don't want to change out as it works just fine for its purpose. I want to get a LPR for openlpr or some other option. Is there stand alone option that is under 250 or an option I can add to my Lorex? I do have an raspberry pi for any software and POE router that I can plug into... Don't want to have another NVR running or comp.
TIA

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you add any camera to your Lorex system or it is "vendor locked" to only their cameras?

If you can't add it to the Lorex then you need something to store the video on. You an use the camera's on-board SDCARD in a pinch if you had to but that's not optimal.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the go to camera folks here use is the 5241-Z12E from a member here @EMPIRETECANDY from his Amazon Store. Lorex is made by Dahua and the Z12E is a Dahua OEM as well, so it will work with the Lorex NVR provided you have an open POE port for it. So if you have the 8 camera NVR and using all 8 ports, then no you cannot add a 9th camera. But if using under 7 cameras in this example, you can add it. My neighbor did that with his 4k Lorex system and the NVR found the camera before we even got back inside after hanging it up.

If you do not have room on the NVR, you could simply put an SD Card in the camera and record on motion to it and then pull up the camera from a web browser and the camera GUI. If you run OpenALPR, then you really don't need any additional software - just send the stream through OpenALPR. And use the program that we use here that another member created to retain plates.

Now keep in mind that this camera can only be used for LPR. At night time you have to run a fast shutter (1/2,000) and B/W with IR and all you will see is the headlight/tail light and the plate.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the go to camera folks here use is the 5241-Z12E from a member here @EMPIRETECANDY from his Amazon Store. Lorex is made by Dahua and the Z12E is a Dahua OEM as well, so it will work with the Lorex NVR provided you have an open POE port for it. So if you have the 8 camera NVR and using all 8 ports, then no you cannot add a 9th camera. But if using under 7 cameras in this example, you can add it. My neighbor did that with his 4k Lorex system and the NVR found the camera before we even got back inside after hanging it up.

If you do not have room on the NVR, you could simply put an SD Card in the camera and record on motion to it and then pull up the camera from a web browser and the camera GUI. If you run OpenALPR, then you really don't need any additional software - just send the stream through OpenALPR. And use the program that we use here that another member created to retain plates.

Now keep in mind that this camera can only be used for LPR. At night time you have to run a fast shutter (1/2,000) and B/W with IR and all you will see is the headlight/tail light and the plate.
how much data does it consume if it’s sending the stream?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
how much data does it consume if it’s sending the stream?
That all depends on resolution, codec, fps, etc... I use a very high bit stream (16Mbps) for my LPR cam. Most people are in the 8Mbps range at H.265/20fps/2MP

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I run 8192bitrate but as variable bitrate, so at night, it drops to the tens. But you can run it low if needed. Depending on your angle, maybe you only need 10FPS at 2048bitrate.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi wittig. Curious about the Amazon link saying the Z12 is a "Loryta" brand rather than Dahua?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Loryta is the name that Andy, a member here @EMPIRETECANDY had to create to sell stuff on Amazon. They are Dahua OEM cameras. Some of my cameras I have bought as Loryta from his Amazon store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua cams. And actually better because many members here provide feedback to Andy and Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and send back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad to know it is still Andy's store, though. Usually I wil look for "EmpireTech" on AMZN.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy will give you a better price directly than buying them through Amazon. At least that has been my experience in the past. Amazon charges such high fees that he has to sell them for a bit more on there to make up for it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of his gear has EmpireTech and some of it is Loryta:

bluer101

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a Loryta PTZ from Amazon from Andy’s store. Everything was perfect and love the new camera. I also added it to a Lorex / Dahua system with no issues.

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a Loryta PTZ from Amazon from Andy’s store. Everything was perfect and love the new camera. I also added it to a Lorex / Dahua system with no issues.
What did you use it for? Which lorex nvr did you plug into? The cameras I have now are the 8105x from Costco, I wonder if they can be flashed

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the exception of maybe an oddball camera, Lorex is made by Dahua, so you can simply plug Amcrest, Dahua, or Andy's Loryta and Empiretech in a Lorex NVR and it will work

bluer101

n3wb
Reaction score
What did you use it for? Which lorex nvr did you plug into? The cameras I have now are the 8105x from Costco, I wonder if they can be flashed
I have a Lorex NR9163X 16-Channel 4K UHD NVR With 2 6 TB WD Drives. I also have 8 bullet cameras LNB811-C and 1LND2750AB mini dome. Now I bought a Loryta SD49425XB-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ And love it. I’m using the PTZ right now for auto tracking on a busy corner of my house. I believe I read somewhere on here about flashing our bullets to Dahua firmware, plus I would like to flash my NVR also.

Luniz97

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you do with the auto tracking? Am I able to read plates with auto tracking? I will have cars coming down my street at an angle around 15 to 25 mph. The camera will be about 30 feet away from the camera and maybe with the angle like 50?

Last edited:

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered a HFW5241E-Z12E camera from Andy. Does anyone know if my Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 NVR (also from Andy) will capture the LPR information properly from that camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great choice!

This camera does not AI or automatically read or log the plates numbers - that is visually, so the NVR will capture the video and pictures if you set it up for that and then you visually read the plates.

Make sure you look in the LPR subforum for starting point settings as this will be different setup than other cameras.

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
Great choice!

This camera does not AI or automatically read or log the plates numbers - that is visually, so the NVR will capture the video and pictures if you set it up for that and then you visually read the plates.

Make sure you look in the LPR subforum for starting point settings as this will be different setup than other cameras.
Thanks @wittaj. As i understand it, LPR systems should provide some type of database or timestamped info on the license plates captured. Will that be possible in my NVR with my setup? Or will i just need to go through the video/snapshots manually to find the license plate captures?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj. As i understand it, LPR systems should provide some type of database or timestamped info on the license plates captured. Will that be possible in my NVR with my setup? Or will i just need to go through the video/snapshots manually to find the license plate captures?
You would need a camera with ANPR capability built in to do that and/or an NVR that has ANPR built-in. The Z12E does not have ANPR built-in, but it is the camera that most of us use because the ANPR cameras typically do not have enough zoom.

Many of us use a 3rd party app like OpenALPR or Plate Recognizer as folks have determined they are more accurate than the ANPR built in to some cameras. You can then get the plates read automatically.