Standalone IP Camera or NVR System?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need a little help in deciding. I am not sure what is best for my setup. I only have 10Mbps internet connection and I plan to install at least 7 cameras. I also want to be able to stream remotely and record locally, no cloud storage needed.

My question for IP Cameras and NVR Systems is, do they use internet bandwidth while they're NOT being streamed/accessed remotely? I only plan to stream one at a time only. not all the time and not multiple cameras at once.

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you very much in advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you very much sir Tony!!!! It is very helpful to me.
You're welcome....and if necessary, you can lower each cam's frame rate and bit rate to an acceptable amount to reduce the internet bandwidth it uses when streaming to a remote device.

EDIT: Just be aware that such adjustments will also affect the quality of the streaming on the LAN as well, assuming the same stream (like 'Stream 1' or 'Main') is being viewed on LAN (locally) and on WAN (remotely).

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're welcome....and if necessary, you can lower each cam's frame rate and bit rate to an acceptable amount to reduce the internet bandwidth it uses when streaming to a remote device.

EDIT: Just be aware that such adjustments will also affect the quality of the streaming on the LAN as well, assuming the same stream (like 'Stream 1' or 'Main') is being viewed on LAN (locally) and on WAN (remotely).
Noted! Will do play with the settings to maximize full performance. Thank you very much for your tip again.

By the way, do you have suggestions which is better? a standalone IP Camera like Yi Outdoor Camera, Arlo Pro, Blink XT, etc.. or NVR systems?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Noted! Will do play with the settings to maximize full performance. Thank you very much for your tip again.

By the way, do you have suggestions which is better? a standalone IP Camera like Yi Outdoor Camera, Arlo Pro, Blink XT, etc.. or NVR systems?
all those cloud cameras you mentioned are garbage.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys... what NVR system brand can you recommend to me? Is Zmodo brand fine?
Oh, Lord no. Bad product, worse support. Buy Dahua (my preference) or Hikvision...same 2 brands recommended for IP cameras as well. Buy Dahua NVR for Dahua cams, Hik NVR for Hik cams.

I highly recommend you purchase from Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) of Empire Technology on China. His storefront is ==>> here, e-mail is kingsecurity2014@163.com

He has sold hundreds of IP cams and NVRs to as many forum members here and offers great products, excellent prices and even better service and support.

Very glad you asked before you spent money and time on any Zmodo or Funlux brand. You would later regret your purchase.

Reaction score
Super thank you very much sir!!!! It was very complicated to research the top brands. Funlux and zmodo are always on top search.

By the way, I have 10Mbps connection, need atleast 7 outdoor weatherproof cam and 4 indoor.. Do you think my Internet will be fine? I don't plan to stream 24/7 only when I want to view them and only one by one not all in one.

Reaction score
I will definitely get in contact with Andy right now.

Also, do you think the Xiaomi Yi Outdoor Camera is good? Also Blink XT, Nest Cam etc?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Oliver Martinez , +1 to @giomania 's post #10 above: the first 15 pages of those notes he sent you will help you with your decision on which NVR and cameras to purchase. Don't be in a hurry; read it, continue to read on this forum, learn and make an informed choice. The fact that you're here and asking questions is a sign that you are on the right track.:cool:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Super thank you very much sir!!!! It was very complicated to research the top brands. Funlux and zmodo are always on top search.

By the way, I have 10Mbps connection, need atleast 7 outdoor weatherproof cam and 4 indoor.. Do you think my Internet will be fine? I don't plan to stream 24/7 only when I want to view them and only one by one not all in one.
Yes, 10Mbps down is good. What is your upload speed? At least 1.0Meg up recommended...I have to live with 3.0M down, 512K (.5M) up.

Reaction score
Thanks al
@Oliver Martinez , +1 to @giomania 's post #10 above: the first 15 pages of those notes he sent you will help you with your decision on which NVR and cameras to purchase. Don't be in a hurry; read it, continue to read on this forum, learn and make an informed choice. The fact that you're here and asking questions is a sign that you are on the right track.:cool:
I'm a bit in a hurry because someone stabbed my dog last 2 nights. I am scared and paranoid and wanted to setup a cctv ASAP but I want not to regret as well so I'm doing research. I apologize for many questions. Will read the attached note tonight.

. I have started contacting empire technology via Ali express and can't wait for what he will recommend to me.

Also will forget about those integrated ip cams from now on :) thank you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks al

I'm a bit in a hurry because someone stabbed my dog last 2 nights. I am scared and paranoid and wanted to setup a cctv ASAP but I want not to regret as well so I'm doing research. I apologize for many questions. Will read the attached note tonight.

. I have started contacting empire technology via Ali express and can't wait for what he will recommend to me.

Also will forget about those integrated ip cams from now on :) thank you
Hi Oliver,

Very sorry to hear this.

This is what I ended up picking up from Andy,
Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 and Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras IPC-HDW5231xxx added a Western Digital Purple HDD to it, and used monoprice for bulk cat5e/6 cable

avoid zmodo / funlux they are one of the worst.

when you have time you can read more in the notes giomania has posted

also, the kit above I would happily recommend as well as purchasing from Andy.