Starlight or not

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am mounting an eyeball Dahua camera by my garage. It will be about 8' high, roughly 2 feet below a twin floodlight fixture (76w halogen bulbs, could switch them to LED but have not). Trying to decide if I should go with a 2mp starlight camera, or a higher resolution non-starlight (only question is due to the flood light). Can someone with experience please comment/recommend?

ThomWi

n3wb
Reaction score
IMO starlight is worth it. My starlight camera reacts very quickly to the flood lights being turned on and adjusts so as not to be over exposed. When the flood lights turn off it changes the exposure again and you can see just as well, if not better, than when the lights were on. Basically the flood lights are just for human benefit. The camera will work very well with or without them.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't chase megapixels, the 2mp Starlights will work fine.
As always, test your proposed locations 24hrs or more first before permanent mount.
2x4, 5gal bucket, and rocks make a portable test rig.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am mounting an eyeball Dahua camera by my garage. It will be about 8' high, roughly 2 feet below a twin floodlight fixture (76w halogen bulbs, could switch them to LED but have not). Trying to decide if I should go with a 2mp starlight camera, or a higher resolution non-starlight (only question is due to the flood light). Can someone with experience please comment/recommend?
Hi @venture996

Get 2 cmeras - one 2MP and one 8Mp and place them on opposites sides of the garage door!

Seriously, get 2 cameras - even if both are starlights, thieves turn away from cameras all the time.

crankcasy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So true I have lots of video of people coming onto my property and retreating as soon as they spot a camera.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 on more cams! you are more likely to get a usable shot of someone's face (or other features) for ID if you cover each area from more than a single angle...
but yeah, for smaller area, 2mp is plenty. if you need to cover a bigger area, then higher resolution can make sense, as long you also have ID-capable cams at the choke points...

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with the 2MP. IMHO the technology is not quite there yet for the higher MP resolution at night. At least in most people's price range.