Starlight vs IR?

bgm1911

n3wb
Reaction score
As I continue to read about cameras (overwhelmed) so I can make my first purchase, I'm confused as to the differences between Starlight and IR.

Can someone please clarify, like is Starlight a newer version of IR? Is a Starlight camera less effective during the day?

The reason I'm asking is I would like to start my system with one camera ,or two, on my porch that can function equally well in night and day (if such a thing exists), for just basic surveillance of a porch, front yard and a driveway.

Thanks...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Starlight is actually a marketing term used by Dahua to describe their line of cameras that can maintain color video at lower light levels. There is also Starlight+ which will maintain color at even lower light levels. IR, infrared, refers to using infrared LEDs, typically at 650nm wavelength, and a special filter in the camera that enables it to "see" that infrared light. The IR LEDs do show a dull, red, glow that is visible when looking directly at them from relatively short distances, but the actual light they emit can't be seen by humans, bugs can see it, however.

It is still not economically feasible to have a color video camera that works in total darkness or extremely low light levels, like a cloudy night with no available ambient light. That's why cameras use IR, infrared lights.

Edit - There are cameras that will maintain full color in total darkness at a reasonable price, BUT (there's always a BUT) they use white light LEDs as floodlights to illuminate the scene with visible light. Not exactly color in total darkness and the camera stands out like a, err ahhhh, spotlight.

If you're going to try one camera for testing locations and how they will work at night, I'd suggest a varifocal in the Dahua 5442 series, T5442T-ZE for a turret or the B5442E-ZE for a bullet. There are threads for both here on IPCT. One thing to remember is that you want to know who did what and when, not just that something happened (paraphrasing looney2nes). Don't expect to cover large areas with a single, or even two, cameras.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Getting the varifocal cam will help you decide what cams you can use where. Set it up on a test rig like described in the Cliff Notes.

Realize that most cams can be used w/IR or w/o IR at night. The 5442 series that you are looking at have very good low light color performance. If you do not have sufficient regular (white) light at night, they can always be run in IR mode. They are great in that mode as well. However in IR mode you will not get any color info and logos/writing on clothing or cars will be limited.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To give you an idea of what you may end up with in terms of how many cameras, which multiply like rabbits -

One on each corner of the front of the house looking toward each other.
One on each side of the garage door looking toward each other and down the driveway, maybe one more in the middle looking straight out.
One on the porch, at about the height of a coach light, to see and positively ID who is at the door and maybe another to watch packages.

bgm1911

n3wb
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the help you guys are providing!

I'm really taking cautious steps here, as I just started reading about privacy. Camera install location can be tricky, especially when (possibly) having to deal with a difficult neighbor.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
While I'm not familiar with the laws in CO, if you walk out the door and look around does you neighbor complain or have a right to stop you from doing so? I seriously doubt it. Conversely, if you installed a 45X PTZ focused on their bedroom window that would be a very different situation.