starting over what is the best route to go? new clean install of windows 10?

Reaction score
since BI has be become so unstable and support is not responding I guess I am on my own, so what is the best way to do a complete install? reinstall windows 10? clean install? delete bi and cameras and start over? time for a new motherboard ram and cpu?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What CPU and amount of RAM do you have now?

But yeah, if you feel it is time to start over, then a fresh Windows install using the Media Creation Tool and then set up BI from scratch and do not import any settings in.

Reaction score
What CPU and amount of RAM do you have now?

But yeah, if you feel it is time to start over, then a fresh Windows install using the Media Creation Tool and then set up BI from scratch and do not import any settings in.
cpu I9 7920 X. 32gig DOMINATOR® PLATINUM Special Edition Torque 32G

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Duh I see it in your signature line now :banghead:

I would think that would be more than capable. Maybe try just a clean start first.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Remove your license from B (deactivate it). Uninstall BI. Make sure you have a list of cameras, IP, passwords, etc. Delete the BI folder, you can leave the New/Stored folders if you want. Reboot. Check machine, make sure it is using almost no ram, CPU like 1%. If not, you have an issue with the machine/Windows.

Reinstall BI, do not import any settings, set up cameras from scratch. If you use the same names as before, BI will eventually repopulate the clips and alerts that it finds. Eventually. When I deleted my database for BI, it took over 12 hours.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) note all the IP address of your cameras and there basic configuration
2) deactivate BI, Make sure you have the license number
3) delete all the videos in the BI folders if NOT on the C: drive
4) do a clean install of windows using the "microsoft media creation tool"
5) Install BI use the last stable version 5.4.9.18
6) manually define each of your cameras.

Do not upgrade BI till the next stable version.
You lead you bleed.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Consider buying a new primary (boot) SSD for your machine and complete the fresh win 10 install on it.

This provides a safety net in the event things go sideways with setting up the new OS. Disco the new drive, and re-connect your previous drive and boot from it to review... whatever

Reaction score
Consider buying a new primary (boot) SSD for your machine and complete the fresh win 10 install on it.

This provides a safety net in the event things go sideways with setting up the new OS. Disco the new drive, and re-connect your previous drive and boot from it to review... whatever
I just put the that 2 TB m2 hard drive in a few months ago before that I had a 1tb SSD

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I just put the that 2 TB m2 hard drive in a few months ago before that I had a 1tb SSD
Yeah, that's a tough call to layout the cash on replacing something that new.

Hmmm... the old 1TB drive still around and its contents expendable? Clone 2 TB to 1 TB, confirm the clone went well, then install fresh win10 on 2TB.

Clonezilla live CD is a good resource if you do not already have something to clone/ghost hard drives

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, but I am waiting for the (imminent) release of Win 10 21H2 before making the USB installer with the. Media Creation Tool, as 21H2 is the last “feature update” for Win 10. Those typically break things, so I figured I would just clean install that version; It will only be security patches going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro