Static IP

ikarntspel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys needing some help on my system.

I'm a noob at networking but managed to set up a 10 camera system 6months ago.

I set a static IP on my computer and all the cameras are connected to that address. I matched the static IP to the modems so I could connect to the cameras whilst connecting to the internet.

The problem now is my modems IP has changed and i cant connect to the internet whilst connecting to the cameras.
What can i do to fix this? My ISP (Telstra NBN) is wanting 10$ a month for a static Ip address option.

Should I pay the fee, change modems or am I just doing something wrong

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
While I don’t completely understand how you have it setup this might be a situation where adding another network card to your computer (dual NIC we call it) is a simpler fix.

If your computer has an available PCIE slot, you can probably get a 1-gig Ethernet card for $25, drop it in and connect THAT card to your new modem. The card will more than likely default to DHCP and get a proper IP address from your new modem. That should fix you up.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Im confused on the “matched static to my modem part”. No two machines EVER need matching IP addresses on the same subnet.

If it’s just an external IP issue because of the changing WAN address then DDNS is the answer. Your router may support it or you can run it from another computer on the LAN. No need to pay your ISP for a static address.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like your WAN (Public) IP is dynamic so it changed, as it can from time to time especially with power loss.

If so, instead of paying for a static WAN IP you could use a DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name Service). You create a hostname with them and your access to your BI server remotely would be like "MyBlueIrisPC:81". A free client app on your BI server PC or a feature in your router will update the DDNS with the latest WAN IP and the service keeps that hostname updated with your latest WAN IP address.

I use No-IP but it's $25/year for 24 hostnames (i have clients) and it's been great. I think Free IP is just that, free, but I cannot attest to it.
IPCT also can provide you with free DDDS here.