Static vs dynamic IP Address for camera

Ouch

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of cams around the house, all of which are on fixed IP addresses, set at the camera. I have recently opened a support case with the supplier of one of the cameras as it is dropping off the network. On reviewing the network settings the support staff have stated the following:

We do not recommend setting the camera to a static IP unless this is something that is specifically required by your router/local network as doing so incorrectly can cause issues
and then following on, when she had noted that I neglected to fill in the address of a DNS server on the camera config settings:

The DNS servers are essential for the camera to be able to connect to the internet and to the app properly, without these you will see issues with the cameras connection
Now, I think I'm being spun a line. I want my cameras on fixed IP addresses so I can find them on my browser, I certainly don't want my cameras connecting to the internet, so why should I have the DNS server set?

Am I right in my reasoning? I understand from the point of view of support staff its easier to diagnose a problem from a known configuration, but I fail to see why having a fixed IP address would cause problems.

And yes, I've checked, there are no IP address conflicts..

Any thoughts anyone?

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are wrong.. Those things does not affect being able to connect to cam on lan. I dont know what cams they are but i would probably check cables, switch the port that the cable sits in to another. Check for latest firmware. Do a hard reset and reconfigure. Mayby try different ip adress and TCP port. If all fails mayby the camera is a dud.

It all depends on what camera it is. Hard to give accurate advice else.

Last edited:

Ouch

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Myllerman, The camera is a 'Ucam247' it's an external HD IP Camera on a cat5E ethernet connection.

I've checked the network cable, both for continuity and for network traffic, (hard work hanging out an upstairs window with a laptop!), swapped ports on the switch, and performed a hard reset on the camera.

A further response from their support operator:

As a network connected device, if it cannot connect to the p2p servers and to the time servers you will see issues with the cameras operation. Without an internet connection the camera will not be able to maintain the correct time and will not be able to connect to the app remotely
-I haven't replied to this yet.

I understand the convenience of P2P for external access, but I'm reluctant to start poking holes in my firewall for such trivialities - I have no desire at this point to view the camera from outside of my LAN, I'm also skeptical of the security of such arrangements. Likewise I can live without millisecond correct time until I can set up a local timeserver.

In fairness the support staff are at least prompt in their reply. They have recommended a firmware re-flash - there is a firmware update (not major), which I will attempt this evening.

I guess I just don't like being railroaded, I don't want to use their cruddy windows software (which is terrible), I don't want to use their mobile app (Which I haven't even downloaded), I just want their stuff to work with generic, non-specific software - I thought this was what ONVIF was all about?

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Myllerman, The camera is a 'Ucam247' it's an external HD IP Camera on a cat5E ethernet connection.
Hard to say what is wrong. Mayby someone here on the forum has experience with that brand. I could not see ONVIF in the specsheet but if you got it working before its strange it drops out. Hope that firmware-update fixes things for you. Dont have any more advice :(

Ouch

n3wb
Reaction score
The ONVIF logo is pretty prominent on the first page of the spec sheet, from that I would assume the camera is compliant in some way - I'm not expert on the nuances of ONVIF, so I could be barking up the wrong tree here..

I'm going to follow the support centre's instructions as much as possible, and if all else fails, it'll go back to Amazon - I've not had it a year, so hopefully the situation will be resolved one way or another.

It's a good camera, apart from this (fairly major) issue - image quality is fine, and low light performance is excellent.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ONVIF logo is pretty prominent on the first page of the spec sheet, from that I would assume the camera is compliant in some way - I'm not expert on the nuances of ONVIF, so I could be barking up the wrong tree here..

I'm going to follow the support centre's instructions as much as possible, and if all else fails, it'll go back to Amazon - I've not had it a year, so hopefully the situation will be resolved one way or another.

It's a good camera, apart from this (fairly major) issue - image quality is fine, and low light performance is excellent.
Hi Ouch,

Note, Just because someone in the company found a very nice Logo to add to the advertisements which seems to help sell more cameras does not mean the camera is ONVIF conformant.
( I actually do not know this particular brand well, however I have seen some clearly fraudulent representation from some other brands - so I would be cautious with trusting w/o verification )

You can check if the camera is listed here:
Conformant Products - ONVIF

You can also download the ONVIF testing software to test the camera.

Ouch

n3wb
Reaction score
there's no mention of the brand on the onvif list above, so I guess this isn't actually a feature. how dull :(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand the convenience of P2P for external access, but I'm reluctant to start poking holes in my firewall for such trivialities - I have no desire at this point to view the camera from outside of my LAN
Just in case you are unaware - a P2P connection is initiated from the inside of the LAN, not from the outside, it therefore does not require 'port forwarding' but it does potentially have security issues if the destination is compromised or badly managed.
Worth checking the camera web GUI to see if such a service is active. And even if not shown as active - might still be.

Ouch

n3wb
Reaction score
I did wonder about the port forwarding aspect. the problem is the web GUI is flakey, and tends to crash the camera (as does accessing the camera in any way other than via the shoddy desktop app).