Steadily Rising CPU on Windows 10 inside of VM

zools

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris 4.7.2.0 on Windows 10 running virtualized through ESXi version 6.5.

I'm encountering an issue where Blue Iris will slowly ramp up its CPU usage over time; roughly 5-10% an hour until the point where it starts to get very unstable and is unresponsive. On a fresh restart my processor sits around 19%. I also experience CPU spikes while its running. I believe memory usage remains stable.

I've read the posts about the issues with the video driver. I have hardware acceleration is disabled. Windows shows my display adapter as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (v 10.0.16299.15) so I don't believe its the same issue with the intel graphics driver. I even tried to install the recommend driver but windows won't allow it.

I've tried turning Limit Decoding on, but I still see the same issues, though it does knock the starting CPU down to 1-3%.

I was previously running an older Blue Iris version on win 8 inside of ESXi with no issues. On this new box though I have new hardware and am using win 10.

Any ideas?

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Consensus around here is to use dedicated hardware for BI no VMs. Whats the point of a VM if you can't passthrough QuickSync and BI is using up all the CPU anyway?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris 4.7.2.0 on Windows 10 running virtualized through ESXi version 6.5.

I'm encountering an issue where Blue Iris will slowly ramp up its CPU usage over time; roughly 5-10% an hour until the point where it starts to get very unstable and is unresponsive. On a fresh restart my processor sits around 19%. I also experience CPU spikes while its running. I believe memory usage remains stable.

I've read the posts about the issues with the video driver. I have hardware acceleration is disabled. Windows shows my display adapter as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (v 10.0.16299.15) so I don't believe its the same issue with the intel graphics driver. I even tried to install the recommend driver but windows won't allow it.

I've tried turning Limit Decoding on, but I still see the same issues, though it does knock the starting CPU down to 1-3%.

I was previously running an older Blue Iris version on win 8 inside of ESXi with no issues. On this new box though I have new hardware and am using win 10.

Any ideas?
You are likely suffering a memory leak related to the intel driver...search memory leak...there are threads with the exact driver to use also see wiki Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration) | IP Cam Talk
also as noted above, dedicate a system to blue iris...

zools

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick responses. My processor is Sandy Bridge which seems to be missing from the list (understandably since its much older). I may have to resort to some newer dedicated hardware but would really like to make it work on the VM.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Any ideas?
Is your integrated graphics adapter passed-through to the Blue Iris VM?

This does sound a lot like the issue I had on my new i7-8700K server before I found a fix. However if the intel adapter isn't even passed through to the VM then Windows shouldn't even be using an intel graphics driver in the first place.

How sure are you that you have disabled hardware acceleration? There is the global option in Blue Iris Options > Cameras tab, but there is also an option in each camera's properties that can override the global setting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick responses. My processor is Sandy Bridge which seems to be missing from the list (understandably since its much older). I may have to resort to some newer dedicated hardware but would really like to make it work on the VM.
What version of BI are you running?

zools

n3wb
Reaction score
Is your integrated graphics adapter passed-through to the Blue Iris VM?
I don't believe it is. I never configured in in ESXi and it doesn't show that it has the adapter, the configuration that's passed to the VM seems like default basic configs. I'll need to look into this more.

How sure are you that you have disabled hardware acceleration? There is the global option in Blue Iris Options > Cameras tab, but there is also an option in each camera's properties that can override the global setting.
Good tip. I had only checked the global config. I found the settings in the camera that were all set to default; I assume that means it uses global but I changed them all to No just to test.

What version of BI are you running?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Given everything you've said I have no idea where this problem is coming from. Are you running any other software on this VM? Virus scanners or anything? Are you sure the increasing CPU usage is from blueiris.exe and not some other processes?

I recommend reinstalling Windows using the media creation tool to get a fresh disk image: Download Windows 10 Since you're running on esxi, you should be able to get this going without even much downtime, just by setting it up in a new VM, and you could attach the previous VM's disk afterward to copy the old recordings if you care to. I happen to be running Blue Iris in a Win10 VM at my office on an i7-2600 ESXi host... although only with one camera, and I don't have this problem.

zools

n3wb
Reaction score
For the record, disabling the display driver completely (and even removing the driver files) did nothing. I may try Windows Server next

zools

n3wb
Reaction score
Running on Windows Server 2016 (eval) and I'm not seeing the same issue. I also didn't let it update yet. So root cause unknown (I would still assume the driver) but have it solved for now...

Jepong

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue but I'm running Server 2016 with intel graphics passed through. I've tried all the drivers from the newest to the oldest but still the same issue of steadily rising cpu usage with memory remaining stable.

Jepong

n3wb
Reaction score
I've made a script that restarts blue iris and writes a log when CPU gets to 90%. I've discovered that the CPU spikes every hour at every x:00. Is this due to some process BI is doing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've made a script that restarts blue iris and writes a log when CPU gets to 90%. I've discovered that the CPU spikes every hour at every x:00. Is this due to some process BI is doing?
you have something wrong going on...that is not normal...as usual avoid vm's for any vms.