mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Contractor Rips Roof From Wrong House and Leaves

Steve Lehto

Most interesting post so far on this:

Shadow Phantom
9 hours ago (edited)
This reminded me of an incident I had familiarity with. I worked for a municipality in Illinois. The Sheriff's department came out to a house in this Village to evict the renting resident. The deputies of this County notify local law enforcement jurisdictions of where an eviction is taking place in case the local PD gets any calls from neighbors or the resident, or the deputies call for backup. As typical, the deputies come with a hired moving company. In Illinois when a Judge orders an eviction, the Sheriff's department comes out with their contracted movers, and move EVERYTHING that was in the house to the front yard and leave it there even if the residents are not in the house. When I say everything, I mean everything! The house is completely emptied and the locks changed before the deputies leave. During the hours that the belongings were left unattended in the yard (the moving company and the deputies leave when the job is done), neighbors and passersby started to walk off with the property (furniture, and a myriad of other things). It was picked pretty clean. The residents get home and find what little is left of their belongings in the front yard and the locks changed. They immediately call the local PD (don't ask me how I know) to report what has happened. The resident was told the sheriff's department was at the house to evict residents per a court order and your belongings were removed from the house. The resident said "EVICTED?! I OWN MY HOUSE, I'M NOT RENTING IT!" The resident gives the local PD the address, and the local PD calls the Sheriff's office. The Sheriff's office is told the residents of *** address came home to find what's left of their belongings in the front yard and they are insisting they aren't renters, but are OWNERS of the house. The next response from the Sheriff's office was "Oh Fuck! We went to the wrong house! It was supposed to be the house next door!" The local PD's response (don't ask me how I know lol) was "well, you have a big problem here. You need to get the keys to the new locks and get these people back into their home today, and the movers back out to put the remaining property back in the house. We will go out and speak to neighbors to see who admits to taking property and see if we can retrieve any of it." The local PD sent officers to the neighborhood and started knocking on doors telling people "if you took any of the property from the front yard of *** you need to return it NOW, and there will be no charges filed. The residents just want their property back." Some of the area residents brought what they took back to the house and no charges were filed. The property they got back wasn't even close to what all had been taken. I don't know if a lawsuit was filed against the County, but I do know the County was fully admitting it was their screw up and was upfront with the residents in making it back to right as possible for them. I'm sure the County paid big though...Rightly so!!