Storage Expansion - X54A5L

Reaction score
We recently bought a new HDD to expand our storage capacity for our system. The original drive is 10tb; our new one is 20tb.

My question is; is it possible to just group the new HDD with the first one so that it acts as a single 30tb drive?

I know I can run one as a backup/redundancy, but I had been planning to just use them together to perform the same function as the original if that's at all possible.

Disk Manager shows both my disks, I'm just not sure how to set up the new one.

Reaction score
We're using Dahua's software, looks like XVR 4.0 if that helps? I'm really not skilled with this stuff; but learning it myself is easier than calling the company we contract with for our surveillance system.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
NO, BI is a stand alone VMS you load onto a PC

Are you accessing the XVR via its web browser interface or using the ugly machine interface?

Try a web browser, go to 192.168.1.108 (default-assuming you havent changed its IP) and use the same credentials you use on the machine UI. Most work best with IE or Edge in IE mode

What model XVR?
Short answer is I think it will natively treat both drives the same as part of a group

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My older XVR though running 4.0 FW doesnt have the ability to separate them, one fills the other starts recording.. On my newer NVR I can assign channels and stream types to different HD groups vs all recording to the same drive.

I was always told to match your drives, not sure if that makes a difference, and not sure your XVR will acknowledge a 20TB drive.....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The marketing genuises like to sell more product, therefore they had to invent a cap on hard drive size so you would buy another one in a year or 3.
So BigRfish must be onto something. i think My XVR ( amcrest) has a 4- or 6 TB limit....I'd have to look it up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is it

• Four (4) SATA HDD Ports, up to 10 TB per Hard Disk
Yeah this is definitely the one; X54A5L is what we've got! Yes, we're using the -very- ugly machine interface.

Came in to work this morning and its already writing to both drives- I'm pleasantly surprised, thought for sure I'd have to do something special to get it set up. We used to only get about 8 days of footage with the 10tb drive it came with. We're hoping for somewhere around 2-3 weeks now with the larger drive- harder for folks to get away with shady stuff!

We'll have to see what happens when the new disk ticks over 10TB- wonder if it'll just quit recording.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As Flintstone pointed out, some of these seem to be hard-coded to do nothing with the extra capacity.

There was a thread here with a guy with a Lorex NVR (so Dahua OEM) and he put in a larger drive and it wouldn't store past 30 days and he could see that the drive was half full. It had a limit of only allowing 30 days and wouldn't acknowledge the larger drive for storage purposes.

Reaction score
While on the subject of the X54 models... looks like the hardware is recording in 5M-N- so all our 4K cameras aren't doing s*** for us because our XVR isn't recording any higher.

May be looking into a new XVR- is that typically why folks will use BlueIris- avoid buying a pricy and hardware restricted proprietary XVR vs building a computer and running BlueIris?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While on the subject of the X54 models... looks like the hardware is recording in 5M-N- so all our 4K cameras aren't doing s*** for us because our XVR isn't recording any higher.

May be looking into a new XVR- is that typically why folks will use BlueIris- avoid buying a pricy and hardware restricted proprietary XVR vs building a computer and running BlueIris?
Among other many reasons, yes we also go with BI as it doesn't limit us to brand of camera and inevitably someone buys an 8 channel NVR and then wants to add a 9th camera and now it is a new NVR. BI limit is 64 cameras.

And all NVRs are not created equal - they are limited in decoding and have a bandwidth limit that can result in having to downgrade resolution. So some folks need 2 or 3 NVRs for their camera system as they have all high MP cams.

A used business class PC and BI software is cheaper than a capable NVR.

I had NVRs for many years. It was a frustrating experience.

There is a big debate here on which is better. Personally I found the NVRs to be too clunky and not very user friendly and got to the point that I was reactive instead of proactive. I literally tested BI and knew within a few minutes it was better than any NVR I ever had.

Like literally I would go months on end not even looking at the NVR videos because the interface was too clunky and would take forever to pull up any motion from the night before. And ended up turning off the alerts because there were so many false triggers. I would only look at it if I could tell someone messed with something on my property or a neighbor asked me if my cameras caught anything.

With BI, in addition to being able to configure it such that I get notifications whenever someone gets too close to my house, I can literally in less than 30 seconds every morning do a quick review to see if there was any suspicious activity or people walking down the sidewalk at 2am. I could never do it that fast with an NVR.

Here is the search tool of all the NVR versus BI comparisons:

blue iris vs nvr ip cam site:ipcamtalk.com - Google Search

I have had whatever the NVR operating system is running on go out. TWICE. Got to buy a whole new NVR - TWICE

I have had the ethernet port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

i had the HDMI port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

Most I ever got was 2.5 years. The only working part was the HDD that I simply moved from the old NVR to the new one. I got to the point of realizing that an NVR is simply a stripped down computer, so I went to BI and never looked back. I got tired of buying a whole new unit.

So in my BI Computer, at least if the SSD goes out, I can just replace it. If the ethernet card goes out, I can just replace it. If the HDMI port goes out, I can just replace it. etc.

Personally I gave up on NVRs because I have found them to be clunky and a struggle to review clips and if a component goes out like the internet port, then you are stuck buying a new NVR whereas a computer part goes out and you replace just that component. I went to BI on a dedicated machine and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind an NVR is simply a watered down computer....

One of many areas where I think BI does a better job is how it displays the alerts/timeline, and I believe it is still the same as when I last ran SmartPSS and DMSS.

As we can see from this screenshot, it gives a green timeline with lines at various times to show when it triggered. Over to the right is a graphic/text representation of each trigger, but no image of the trigger.

1676253571095.png

So when I wanted to find or look at something, I needed to click each one until I found what I was looking for.

Wanna know when UPS came by in an NVR....well just start clicking on the timeline triggers till you see the UPS truck. May take awhile depending on the amount of traffic that goes by.

With BI, it gives alert thumbnails, so I can quickly scroll and find UPS way quicker than I ever could with an NVR playback timeline.

1672707276383.png

Or if you want to be notified when UPS, or FEDEX, or USPS comes by, with BI AI, you can set up an alert just for those vehicles. Good luck doing that with an NVR.

But to me, the thumbnails are invaluable. I can quickly scroll it at night and look for any activity instead of having to click each one and be like "oh that is John coming home" If I recognize the vehicle or person in the image, no need to investigate further.

Reaction score
Back in 2018 when I joined this group, I had to decided between and NVR and BI. I went the BI route as I thought it was more versatile and had more options. It has changed so much since then, getting better and better.

I have a Win10 PC as the server with three 10TB drives and get about 2 1/2 weeks of video stored. That is writing 24/7 to 22 cams, mixture of 2MP and 4MP at max bitrate for each cam.

Reaction score
Wow- y'all are killing it with the helpful advice.

Our security contractor is skilled at reaming us for whatever he can get because the owner would just pay without question.

Sounds like I'll be discussing a PC/BI setup with the other manager. We already have a space PC that doesn't get used for much of anything.

I did find in the encode settings our resolution for the main stream is only set to 704 x 480- I have to assume this is causing a large loss in quality on played back footage? The highest option I have is 960 x 480, but our cameras are all between 2 to 5MP. Would it be wise to increase that until we have a more capable NVR set up?

Reaction score
Nevermind that last question- still learning the machine UI; that was just for one camera that is limited to that particular resolution for whatever reason.