Storage question - moving from new to stored

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering - those that use DtD recording (so date/time is not overlaid on the video) when you have your new footage shifted to stored, do you have it marked for conversion to place the date/time stamp on it or just move it to your stored without conversion/export?

I just wish I could get the overlay with the DtD during playback through the web interface...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering - those that use DtD recording (so date/time is not overlaid on the video) when you have your new footage shifted to stored, do you have it marked for conversion to place the date/time stamp on it or just move it to your stored without conversion/export?

I just wish I could get the overlay with the DtD during playback through the web interface...
The best solution is to use your cameras time stamp. Exporting every file and adding the time stamp defeats the purpose of D2D. Also the time appears above the video during playback.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the timestamp on the camera itself isn't an option for all of our cameras. Plus the time doesn't appear on the web interface except for live view (at least not on the java interface, or the ui2 interface, I can't speak on the activex one as we don't use it). When using the console on the BI system itself, the time is displayed during playback which is great - it would just be helpful for us with it in the web interface as well since we rarely use the console except if we need to actually export footage for evidence or tweaking the config.

I was hoping there was a way I could get it to transcode new -> storage nightly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the timestamp on the camera itself isn't an option for all of our cameras. Plus the time doesn't appear on the web interface except for live view (at least not on the java interface, or the ui2 interface, I can't speak on the activex one as we don't use it). When using the console on the BI system itself, the time is displayed during playback which is great - it would just be helpful for us with it in the web interface as well since we rarely use the console except if we need to actually export footage for evidence or tweaking the config.

I was hoping there was a way I could get it to transcode new -> storage nightly.
I have never seen a camera that doesnt have its own timestamp...this is how every NVR and other vms work...they dont transcode, its too cpu intensive.
The activex plugin will display the timestamp.
transcoding everything again will defeat d2d..might as well not use d2d the first time.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I never said they *couldn't* - I just said it's not an option for all of our cameras (ie: one set doesn't give an option on positioning or size and when enabled blocks an area that needs to remain visible, another camera resets its date and time on a power cycle (just needs to be replaced), etc. so while you are correct they can, we just can't use it for all of our cams.

we may just have to turn on the time for all of those that we can and just deal with the ones that can't since we don't use the activex web interface.

I'm not trying to be difficult - I love BI, just trying to get the best config for work as possible since I'm not the only one looking at the output :).