Stored Videos from Web Portal Not Shown

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to accomplish something with BlueIris that maybe outside its sphere of influence. I have a camera that will not work with BI (that is OK). I am simply placing the files into the Stored Subdir and pressing the Database Rebuild. It shows up on the "server" PC, and I can play them -- all is good. However, if viewing the files from a remote location using the Web Interface, I cannot see any of the Stored videos. All of the videos are stored in MP4 containers.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the camera in question, can you post a screenshot of BI's camera properties 'video' tab AND from the 'Record' tab, a screenshot of the 'Video File format and compression' page (lower right corner button on 'Record' page) ?

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no real "interface" for this camera. I have 2 cameras rolling at once - a standard Lorex camera (which works great with BI), that captures video at 30 fps, and a second camera, a high speed camera, capturing video at 1000 fps. What I am providing to the "viewer" is a low fps version of video, and a slow-mo version of video if they want to look at the events in more detail. What I am doing is copying the 1000 fps MP4 file to the stored subdir (which I can watch just great on the server), however, I cannot see this "stored" in the list of available files from the Web version of BI. I can put any kind of MP4 file in the Stored subdir, and non of them show up on the Web Portal.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My post asked "....can you post a screenshot of BI's camera properties...", not "...the interface for this camera" that you mentioned.

FYI, my UI (accessing web server page from remote PC ) will not play .MP4 files, only .BVR files, I tried one of my working cams, changing to MP4 and it's a no-go.

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I think you can see that the only files you can see from the remote Web page are .BVR files. And hence, if I copy a MP4 file to the Stored subdir, although you can see them on the Server PC, they just do not show up in the list of available CLIPS on the remote PC via the Web Interface.

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI - there is no BI camera properties for the 1000 FPS camera -- it is a camera that I have built and designed, and as such, does not directly connect into a PC - or would be accessible via the BI system.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I think you can see that the only files you can see from the remote Web page are .BVR files. And hence, if I copy a MP4 file to the Stored subdir, although you can see them on the Server PC, they just do not show up in the list of available CLIPS on the remote PC via the Web Interface.
Sounds right.

BTW, a 'BVR file can be viewed while it's being recorded, an MP4 cannot. And from the BI server you can convert any selectable portion of a BVR to MP4.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - there is no BI camera properties for the 1000 FPS camera -- it is a camera that I have built and designed, and as such, does not directly connect into a PC - or would be accessible via the BI system.
Now that actually clarifies your first post "..... I have a camera that will not work with BI".

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the end result of all this is that there's no problem with BI, you just were hoping its remote UI (web server page) would play files that you stored in a folder in a format created by a camera that is not connected to BI in a video processing sense...:rolleyes:

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
So the end result of all this is that there's no problem with BI, you just were hoping its remote UI (web server page) would play files that you stored in a folder in a format created by a camera that is not connected to BI in a video processing sense...:rolleyes:
.. This is correct...

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you know if there is a ".. go fund me" section of Blue Iris. I would be more than happy to support the addition of this feature.

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
No, but you can purchase another year of support from with in BI. Which the author deserves whether you actually need support or not.
That is a great idea, however, I was thinking about something a little more forthcoming of their abilities.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @hart henry

The reason you don't see those mp4 files in the web interface is that they aren't associated with any camera, so when the web interface asks for the clip list filtered by "All cameras", those aren't included.

There are a few ways you might be able to load them though.

The simplest way is to turn on directory listing in BI's web server settings and then load "/clips/" (http://127.0.0.1/clips/) This gives you a list of links where you can directly download any clip file. I don't think BI does any filtering of this list so it should include your added MP4s even if you haven't repaired the clip database. You might need admin privilege to load this. I just don't know.

The second way would be to create a dummy camera in Blue Iris (just something pointed at a jpeg snapshot from the high-framerate camera maybe) and make sure the mp4 files you add are named appropriately so that when you repair the clip DB, Blue Iris will associate your newly added files with the dummy camera. I'm not 100% sure this will work but it might be worth a try. For best results, make sure your "dummy camera" has the same resolution as the clips you are creating.

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan -- can do. Will work on that this afternoon/evening and provide you with a full report. Thanks.

hart henry

n3wb
Reaction score
Your thoughts regarding the "simplest way is to turn on directory listing" does work. This features enables sharing of the subdir having the video files via a web interface. IE: just a dir listing (as the title states). Not exactly what I was looking for, therefore, moving onto the next step of the dummy camera. I was making headway by creating a dummy camera that used "Screen Capture - Blackness" and disabled absolutely everything for this camera config. Started working, however, something went terribly wrong, and many things stopped working. IE: I have a somewhat inexpensive Vivotek camera (about $400) that works great, which sits on top of my 1000 fps camera. My event for the Vivotek is triggered via the API function call through the Web API, and as such works great with a 5 SEC before event and 10 SEC after event (15 SEC total roll time). However, I started losing the 5 SEC before event (now only a 10 SEC total roll - after event only, no before event) each time I manually triggered, or remote trigger via the API. Additionally, the MP4 files stopped playing - BI stated, unable to display video (or something like that). Then, BI started doing a bunch of weird stuff (I know that is not a very good tech description). Hence, I am going to blow away my VMWare session, and start again tomorrow. Only takes a few seconds to roll back the VM to a Virgin Win 7, and reinstall BI. I wanted to be sure to get you info this evening as I stated. I will provide more details tomorrow. Thanks!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind there is an activation limit on the BI key.

Direct-to-disc recording could give the appearance that the pre-event record buffer isn't working. Recordings can only start on a keyframe when direct-to-disc is enabled.

Install the K-lite codec pack through ninite

That can usually solve BI's mp4 playback issues.