Strange ip's showing up in Blue Iris app

Eagleeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
When I click the status icon in the Blue Iris app I see strange ip's showing up in the Messages section, what's that mean?
Am I being hacked?
The attached photo shows a ip from Korea.

Attached Files:

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
When I click the status icon in the Blue Iris app I see strange ip's showing up in the Messages section, what's that mean?
Am I being hacked?
The attached photo shows a ip from Korea.

Attached Files:
all that means is someone attempted to log into the server...this will happen if you port forward any device...you should use vpn....in the interim use a strong password and update to the latest blue iris release...in the webserver settings you can set it to automatically block any ip that makes more than X attempts to login with wrong credentials...

Eagleeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, If I put the cameras on a vlan would that be more secure than the way I have it now?
I know VPN is the best way to go but I think it may be over my head.

Jareds

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are going to leave port forwarding on I suggest changing the default port to something much higher. Try in the 63000 range. Or more. You will see you connections drop to almost none. Vpn is the best way but fenderman is right. Get newest version, have very strong passwords. Change port to a high number, something other than default. And watch the connections go down to almost nothing.

A vpn is over your head but a vlan is not? Things that make you go hmmmm?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, If I put the cameras on a vlan would that be more secure than the way I have it now?
I know VPN is the best way to go but I think it may be over my head.
Setting up a VPN isn't above anybodys head, if you can setup IP cameras you should be able to setup a VPN solution especially if you have an understanding of VLAN as it seems you may you should be intelligent enough. (VLAN knowledge not required for VPN setup)

If you have a NAS you may have a app which will allow you to host a VPN server or your ISP modem may have the option to also create one.
Failing that a you could purchase a $30 Raspberry Pi and host one from there... If you search the internet there are many videos showing you how to do it and also there are custom builds.

Eagleeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Jareds and cyberwolf_uk , I changed my BI port to something other than default. I didn't mean to imply that I know anything about Vlans I don't, it just seems that you click Vlan on label it then tag or untag the port you want. I do have VPN but it's the type you pay for surfing the internet and I don't think your talking about that type vs open VPN.

Thanks again everyone!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jareds and cyberwolf_uk , I changed my BI port to something other than default. I didn't mean to imply that I know anything about Vlans I don't, it just seems that you click Vlan on label it then tag or untag the port you want. I do have VPN but it's the type you pay for surfing the internet and I don't think your talking about that type vs open VPN.

Thanks again everyone!!
you are correct...the paid vpn you have is not the correct kind VPN Primer for Noobs