streaming peephole cam that fits over existing peep

buddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, buddybear here, just found this place - major noob.

Tried searching but didnt find anything. I have an apartment that i cant swap out the peephole due to rental agreement, but I've had lots of shady characters nearby.

Looking for a peep camera that can record through an existing peep, and I can monitor it on a computer. Thats all.

thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought one of these cheap Chinese xmEYE "TOP-201-IR" cams from bitcoins.com to place inside of a bluebird house I'm building, streams great. I'm using with Blue Iris PC software as my NVR. It also comes with a small CD with viewer, has built-in webGUI to configure. Runs on 12VDC @ 1 amp, standard barrel connector (5.5mm outside x 2.1mm inside). If you decide to try this cam you'll need a power supply as it does NOT come with one.

I didn't buy from this eBay vendor but he's highly rated. Lately I cannot find these anywhere but China, so allow 3 weeks to receive it. Better hurry, these are becoming scarce from what I can see!

It's about 1-5/8" square x 1/2" deep, lens adds another 3/4" so it's about 1-1/4" deep. Lens is about 1/2" in diameter.

Insure wherever you get it that model is "TOP-201", if IR is necessary, insure it has "-IR" suffix at end.

Mine even streams to VLC with this URL (default user is 'admin' and default password is left blank):

rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/user=[USERNAME]&password=[PASSWORD]&channel=1&stream=0.sdp?

Free-Shipping-Top-201-IR-H264-1MP-Super-Mini-Network-IP-Camera-Home-RTSP-TCP-IP_jpg_640x640.jpg

buddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought one of these cheap Chinese xmEY........
Wow... the streaming to VLC is quite amazing. I did the measurements on my peephole, its 12mm wide, but on the inside of door there is about a 4-6mm deep cavity I was hoping to fit something in, and if not have it right on the edge. Was thinking I would need some sort of optics to be able to see anything clearly. But I will look into what you suggested. Do you recommend any power supplies? Also is there anyway the video can be fed through ethernet to a router? Thanks .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you recommend any power supplies?
This one on amazon is UL Listed ==>> here.

Also is there anyway the video can be fed through ethernet to a router? Thanks .
It has an approx. 18" pigtail to a Y, one part of Y is 4" to female RJ45 for Ethernet and other is 4" to a 12VDC female jack for power; because it is an IP camera, not analog (composite) video, the Ethernet itself can go up to 100 m / 328 ft. TOTAL length. The power could be extended probably 10 feet with cheap male-female extension, heaver gauge cord probably 16 feet; this one is 16 feet ==>> here.

Not sure how far a passive POE injector pair for data and 12VDC over the Ethernet cable could be run; I'm guessing on CAT-6 at least 75 feet.

EDIT: many recent smart TV's with Android can run TinyCam Pro; you could possibly see it on your TV; I have 2016 Sony with Android and am using TinyCam Pro to view a RTSP stream from a Dahua IP cam, but very possibly it can view stream from this TOP-201 because VLC can view its RTSP stream.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

buddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow ok, well Im guessing you sell these. Thanks for info, also Im just trying to stream to my own webserver, dont really want to trust an app to handle all my data. Was hoping to run ethernet directly to my own router and encode it on computer to .264 or something. is this even possible?

buddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
honestly im thinking of just picking up a cheap <20dollar webcam and a usb extender to laptop. maybe some cheap lenses to see if i can funnel the light into it. (although im sure this is sub-par quality compared to the setup you described, im just trying to accomplish this on a budget and also be able to easily connect to computer/home network)

EDIT : I actually found this pinhole cam, with power adapter included. Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
honestly im thinking of just picking up a cheap <20dollar webcam and a usb extender to laptop. maybe some cheap lenses to see if i can funnel the light into it. (although im sure this is sub-par quality compared to the setup you described, im just trying to accomplish this on a budget and also be able to easily connect to computer/home network)

EDIT : I actually found this pinhole cam, with power adapter included. Micro Center - Computers and Electronics
Hi Buddybear,

I recall seeing PoE versions of this type of camera on Aliexpress when I was looking for options.

Note - Fry's also carries that swann camera iirc - had it onsale for $20 awhile back... ( note both the Fry's and the MC swann cameras are BNC analog )

I wonder if there is a M12 lens / adapter for the peep hole?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually did do something like this at a previous apartment and used a top-201 type camera that worked OK in daytimes. It was the type of peep-hole that has a square glass in a frame on the outside with a sliding cover plate on the inside. Once ambient light levels drop tho you get a noisy image at best, not helped by the glass plate being slightly mirrored so losing some light intensity. Also you had the problem of subjects being backlit in some locations etc. Drawback will always be that you have almost no adjustment in terms of lens angle and lighting that you can't do much about. You're unlikely to want IR on the camera for this either as it'll just reflect off the glass in the peep-hole, but you will want good low-light ability so sony IMX/starvis sensor would be best.

If your's is more of a standard barrel type peep-hole you may be able to find a direct replacement that isn't noticeable and then return the original into place when you hand the place back? Or perhaps something like these might work for you?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brinno-PHV-MAC-14-mm-Activated/dp/B00I560IYE
3.6mm Lens Surveillance Camera CCTV Eye Spy Hole Door Home Security Equipment 3100000375171 | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow ok, well Im guessing you sell these. Thanks for info, also Im just trying to stream to my own webserver, dont really want to trust an app to handle all my data. Was hoping to run ethernet directly to my own router and encode it on computer to .264 or something. is this even possible?
No, I don't sell those...not sure why you would think so.

Anyway, the Swann you linked to at Microcenter is NOT an IP cam according to it's specs; it has 'BNC' and 'RCA' sprinkled here and there, meaning it has a composite video output that would feed a TV or monitor "video in' or 'composite in'. If you plan to "...run ethernet directly to my own router and encode it on computer to .264 or something", it needs to be an IP cam.

The eBay cam here that @Aengus4h mentioned is also composite video, not IP.

Lastly, the xmEYE TOP-201 and TOP-201-IR do, in fact, provide a RTSP stream and do work with PC browsers and VLC. It does not require "...an app." I am a forum member merely trying to relate my personal experience with this cam; the TOP-201 may not work for you physically and optics-wise. Just trying to help you make an informed decision.

Last edited:

buddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Buddybear,

I recall seeing PoE versions of this type of camera on Aliexpress when I was looking for options.

Note - Fry's also carries that swann camera iirc - had it onsale for $20 awhile back... ( note both the Fry's and the MC swann cameras are BNC analog )

I wonder if there is a M12 lens / adapter for the peep hole?
I actually went to the store yesterday to buy it, but they didnt ACTUALLY have it in stock.. plus it was BNC like you noticed (i didnt) so, that wouldnt work. I went ahead about bought a zmodo mini-wifi cam because it was cheap and could stream. Come home and found out that not only does it only work with some chinese android app, but it also wont connect through my NAT router without some kind of shoddy port forwarding. Also theres no access to the kernel rom and after researching it - it appears it transmits your wifi pw in plaintext and also has constant connection to some chinese C&C server... Safe to say im returning it today and buying something else. Honestly im thinking of just buying a logitech webcam, or anything with decent security and can easily connect to a PC.

I actually did do something like this at a previous apartment and used a top-201 type camera that worked OK in daytimes. It was the type of peep-hole that has a square glass in a frame on the outside with a sliding cover plate on the inside. Once ambient light levels drop tho you get a noisy image at best, not helped by the glass plate being slightly mirrored so losing some light intensity. Also you had the problem of subjects being backlit in some locations etc. Drawback will always be that you have almost no adjustment in terms of lens angle and lighting that you can't do much about. You're unlikely to want IR on the camera for this either as it'll just reflect off the glass in the peep-hole, but you will want good low-light ability so sony IMX/starvis sensor would be best.

If your's is more of a standard barrel type peep-hole you may be able to find a direct replacement that isn't noticeable and then return the original into place when you hand the place back? Or perhaps something like these might work for you?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brinno-PHV-MAC-14-mm-Activated/dp/B00I560IYE
3.6mm Lens Surveillance Camera CCTV Eye Spy Hole Door Home Security Equipment 3100000375171 | eBay
Yea those barrel peep cams are pretty awesome, I would just have done this in the beginning would have been a lot easier, only problem is my place is VERY strict and if they noticed it id be in lease violation. sigh. Thanks for the links though, who knows maybe ill get frustrated enough and say screw it lol.

No, I don't sell those...not sure why you would think so.

Anyway, the Swann you linked to at Microcenter is NOT an IP cam according to it's specs; it has 'BNC' and 'RCA' sprinkled here and there, meaning it has a composite video output that would feed a TV or monitor "video in' or 'composite in'. If you plan to "...run ethernet directly to my own router and encode it on computer to .264 or something", it needs to be an IP cam.

The eBay cam here that @Aengus4h mentioned is also composite video, not IP.

Lastly, the xmEYE TOP-201 and TOP-201-IR do, in fact, provide a RTSP stream and do work with PC browsers and VLC. It does not require "...an app." I am a forum member merely trying to relate my personal experience with this cam; the TOP-201 may not work for you physically and optics-wise. Just trying to help you make an informed decision.
Yep, you called it. I ended up getting a cheap wifi cam and it was terrible. so im going back today to find a better solution. I really wish I could just wait on the shipping for the xmEYE , but its rather urgent i get this setup ASAP. But that clearly was a great suggestion you gave right from the get go. And sorry, its not often you find someone this helpful that isnt selling something, guess im jaded. thanks again though really.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..its rather urgent i get this setup ASAP. But that clearly was a great suggestion you gave right from the get go. And sorry, its not often you find someone this helpful that isnt selling something, guess im jaded. thanks again though really.
You can also look at a raspi w/camera module if you're in a hurry as MC should have those components in stock.

buddybear

n3wb
Reaction score
You can also look at a raspi w/camera module if you're in a hurry as MC should have those components in stock.
I saw those, and the guy instore actually recommended it to me. My python knowledge is pretty rudimentary but im sure I could figure it out. Can they connect through ethernet through a NAT router do you know? is power an issue?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think most options will disappoint. The best peephole used to be the Brinno PeepHole Viewer PHV1330 and it's pretty worthless for secuirty. There may be a peephole camera you could swap in without anyone noticing, just don't enlarge the hole.

In an apartment I'd consider sticking a camera in a window sill. I'd even consider something like a lightbulb camera or doorbell camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I saw those, and the guy instore actually recommended it to me. My python knowledge is pretty rudimentary but im sure I could figure it out. Can they connect through ethernet through a NAT router do you know? is power an issue?
Hi Buddy

Haven't tried it myself, just looked like a good fun project when I was looking at options for my front door.

Noticed the new raspi 3 maybe able to be powered by PoE with an additional part - though I do not know if that part is yet available.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about a $23 endoscope that transmits wirelessly to smartphone (or PC according to picture). It's 2.0 megapixel and has a 15 foot semi-rigid cable. Yeah, it's not a security cam and you can't stream video but it might be a hoot! I've spent more on dinner! :rolleyes:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about a $23 endoscope that transmits wirelessly to smartphone (or PC according to picture). It's 2.0 megapixel and has a 15 foot semi-rigid cable. Yeah, it's not a security cam and you can't stream video but it might be a hoot! I've spent more on dinner! :rolleyes:
Focal length on those could be tricky.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
to OP, you've not yet said what type of peep-hole is in the door you want to view through. If it is the classic simple barrel type you'll likely struggle to get any cam that would work, tho it may be possible to adapt a mini board type IP cam like the top-201 depending on the focal length of the existing spy-glass. Might have to rig something to link into the existing and adapt to the M12 lens fitment then adjust till you find focus.

The one I did do had a large hole through the door with a mirror glass panel on the outside and a flip plate on the inside, so was quite easy to rig the mini box IPcam without changing the outer side.

I do have a few of these cams now having replaced the top-201 type with them and their low-light performance is pretty good, tho I went with 2.8mm lens and not the pinhole version.
Sony Starvis IMX290 2MP Mini WIFI IP Camera 1080P Pinhole 3.7mm lens 2 Way Audio Alarm SD Card Slot H.265/H.264 ONVIF IP Camera -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The pinhole version may well work for you if the spy-hole is the narrow barrel type and you can find a reliable way to mount it, tho I can't vouch for the low light performance in that case. I replaced the factory 2.8mm lenses with faster starlight 2.8mm ones and that looks to have gained 1 f-stop or better. Note they do get quite warm so glue/silicon may not hold it long if you go that route. Another thing to consider will be the inside of the spy-glass barrel, if its shiny/reflective it could play havoc with image clarity.

Depending on your door type you could even consider something like:
1080P 720P Wireless WiFi IP CCTV Mini Camera Sport Espia DV P2P Video Recorder Digital Small Cam Camcorder Freeshipping-in Mini Camcorders from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

and feed the camera/ribbon between the door and frame, tho it may be quite obviously visible