Streaming to browsers broken...scandal or no?

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have favored hikvision cameras for about 3 years and as of June 2017 I can't stream to any browser in Mac or Windows. Webcomponents and the special fixes to Firefox don't work anymore etc. Is it just me, is it a problem for other manufacturers or is it time to find a Hikvision alternative going forward?

I know about ESR browser version but wtf I am also concerned about cyber security...ok and Hikvision gSOAP/ONVIF...is it vulnerable to Devils Ivy?

Is it time to switch to Axis who updates their firmware when vulnerabilities are exposed?

/rantoff sorry

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have favored hikvision cameras for about 3 years and as of June 2017 I can't stream to any browser in Mac or Windows. Webcomponents and the special fixes to Firefox don't work anymore etc. Is it just me, is it a problem for other manufacturers or is it time to find a Hikvision alternative going forward?

I know about ESR browser version but wtf I am also concerned about cyber security...ok and Hikvision gSOAP/ONVIF...is it vulnerable to Devils Ivy?

Is it time to switch to Axis who updates their firmware when vulnerabilities are exposed?

/rantoff sorry
or...you can save the thousands you would spend on axis and buy a vpn router that supports vlans...and or use a vms and dont expose the cameras to the net...
btw, hikvision does not use gsoap...

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
run pale moon that works i only use it to test the camera settings in the web Gui when the cameras are behind the nvr
if on a poe switch then they can be accessed easier through ivms 4200 on your laptop

Bokeh

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried Internet explorer?

I just finished setting up 15 cameras at home, and the only browser I tried that worked with showing the live view in the admin panel was Internet Explorer, not Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox.

Everything else works fine though. I'm using Milestone Xprotect for my VMS and viewing the cameras. I only go to the cameras web interface if I need to configure something on them

Last edited:

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's how you can make it working again.
Firefox had some settings disabled since a few recent updates, you have to manually reset them:

In URL type: about:config

Renable NPAPI Plugin Support in Firefox 52

Add new Boolean string "plugin.load_flash_only" and set it to false. Then restart the browser.

Dont add " in your Boolean string

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IE works fine and so does Firefox with the above fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
or...you can save the thousands you would spend on axis and buy a vpn router that supports vlans...and or use a vms and dont expose the cameras to the net...
btw, hikvision does not use gsoap...
Thanks good comments.

run pale moon that works i only use it to test the camera settings in the web Gui when the cameras are behind the nvr
if on a poe switch then they can be accessed easier through ivms 4200 on your laptop
Thanks I got this to work for when I connect directly to the camera, however when I run the webserver from my LTS LTN8704-P4, the LTSWebcomponents is not working. I am running Windows 10 Creators update as an admin btw.

IE works fine and so does Firefox with the above fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, got ie to work as well for the cams but not the NVR webserver mentioned above.