struggling to connect to IPC-HDW5231R-Z

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently received the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and tested it in the house and all worked fine.
Had someone run some cat5e for me and install the camera outside.
Connected it my POE and unable to connect to it.
Worried he used bad network cable or connected the ends on incorrectly or problem with the socket he made.

How do i narrow down what went wrong.
thanks for your help

edit - think he was using CAT5e CCA ( which i understand is crappy)

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Recently received the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and tested it in the house and all worked fine.
Had someone run some cat5e for me and install the camera outside.
Connected it my POE and unable to connect to it.
Worried he used bad network cable or connected the ends on incorrectly or problem with the socket he made.

How do i narrow down what went wrong.
thanks for your help
First you can try a visual inspection
Look at both ends of the cable, does the color code match? Can you see that each cable is pushed to the end of the connector and that the prongs have clearly pierced the cable?

Next you could try to take a laptop outside and connect to see if you have wired connection via the laptop - this is only a partial test though as you will not be using all 4 pairs or the same pairs your camera/poe need.

Finally is to grab a cheap cable continuity tester. Amazon.com: Tonor TM RJ45 RJ11 RJ12 CAT5 CAT 6 UTP Network Lan Cable Tester Test Tool: Home Improvement

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I had one failure where the stripper cut through one of the wires, but not all of its insulation, and everything looked normal to the eye. Naturally I randomly replaced the RJ45 on the good end first. A continuity tester should catch this type of failure. If you're using a POE switch the power is likely sent down the same wires as the data, making the laptop test valid. Most POE switches light an LED when the device is drawing power, so that's another thing to check. Some POE switches allow for POE to be enabled on a per-port basis, so if you're using a different port from the one you tested with inside, that's another thing to check. POE injectors generally use the conductors not used by the data connection. If you're using a POE injector and/or splitter, that gives a few more places where a failure could occur. Even if the cable uses CCA wire, a newly-built one should work ok. Aluminum is more brittle than copper, so if there are any tight bends during installation, and aluminum conductor might fracture where a copper one wouldn't.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks guys - will check outside in the daylight tomorrow

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i spoke to the guy who installed it and he says he used a tester and it was all fine.
will need to rethink

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It could be a number of things. Bring it back inside and test it with a working whip. If it's working there, it's your new run, somewhere.

Inexpensive tester from Amazon is key for your toolbox if you have cameras or any networking tasks.

SD

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
brought camera inside the house and connecting directly to poe and still cant access it.
tried different cables and different ports.
what am i missing.
in the uk using virgin superhub 3.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your knowledge level of networking/IT is? These enterprise cameras are so technical, and don't come with instructions. Some basic networking knowledge is key, or it will be like pulling teeth.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not the cable run.

What are you using for an NVR?
How did you test it in the house and know it was working?
Do you know how to use the ping command? arp -a command?
Do you know how to scan for the camera with the Config Tool?
Do you know what subnet your home address is on?
Did you change the default password and login credentials?
Do you know how to reset the camera to factory specs?
Do you know how to change it from factory specs to an open IP address on your subnet?
Do you have a 12V power supply to test with?

I could go on and on and on.....

Can you answer the above questions and I'll continue.

SD

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for your help in advance. i am no IT pro.

i had it working last week in the house.
virgin media superhub3 > TP Link Wifi Router > Linksys POE > network cable to dahua camera
I was able to access it via browser. all looked good. Tried again (but without TP Link wifi router).

(I have a QNAP NAS I intend to use for a NVR - but I don't need that yet) I want to be able to connect via browser

-Not reallly familiar with ping or arp-a. Using windows 10. i have downloaded wireshark as i read that can help find
-Config tool is showing nothing
- did not change passwords yet
- thinking next step should be to open it up and find reset button.
- not sure how to change it from factory specs. would assume need to access it first
-dont have a 12v psu

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Have the same issue here.

Plugged in the camera via a short cat5e cable directly to my TP Link TP-SG1008P switch. I had no issues. Both POE light and data light flashing. The camera was configured to my network using the Config Tool and SmartPSS. It works fine using Synology NAS.

I then connected it outside to the custom cat5e cable made by electrician. The length is about 6m long. I checked the POE light on the TP-link switch, it's green to indicate it's transmitting power. I can also feel some heat on the IP camera. However there is no data transmission to the switch. I'm 100% sure the ethernet connectivity is fine as I connected it to my laptop and is transmitting data.

Worth noting, the TP Link switch data light flashes very slowly.. maybe 1/2 flash every 5+ secs.

Any ideas pls?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have the same issue here.

Plugged in the camera via a short cat5e cable directly to my TP Link TP-SG1008P switch. I had no issues. Both POE light and data light flashing. The camera was configured to my network using the Config Tool and SmartPSS. It works fine using Synology NAS.

I then connected it outside to the custom cat5e cable made by electrician. The length is about 6m long. I checked the POE light on the TP-link switch, it's green to indicate it's transmitting power. I can also feel some heat on the IP camera. However there is no data transmission to the switch. I'm 100% sure the ethernet connectivity is fine as I connected it to my laptop and is transmitting data.

Worth noting, the TP Link switch data light flashes very slowly.. maybe 1/2 flash every 5+ secs.

Any ideas pls?
Rj45 connectors not properly installed would be the first place to check.
Get a tester like mentioned above.
Be sure to follow the picture.

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Rj45 connectors not properly installed would be the first place to check.
Get a tester like mentioned above.
Be sure to follow the picture.

Thanks, would this LAN tester do the job?

LAN Tester

Just query, with the LAN tester - do I need to connect both the ends of the cable? Just that one is in doors and the other is already chased through the garage outdoor....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, would this LAN tester do the job?

LAN Tester

Just query, with the LAN tester - do I need to connect both the ends of the cable? Just that one is in doors and the other is already chased through the garage outdoor....
First check to see if wires are in the correct order...they cannot simply matgh up...

bronzehawk

n3wb
Reaction score
First check to see if wires are in the correct order...they cannot simply matgh up...
Tomorrow morning I'll pick up a LAN tester... I looked thru the transparent connectors and the colours seem to match up...