Stupid Comcast.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer some kind of metered service. Just like on phone plans. There are some folks who just hog all the bandwidth. So you have 10 percent of the people using 90% of the bandwidth. Ends up costing the average use money.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I prefer some kind of metered service. Just like on phone plans. There are some folks who just hog all the bandwidth. So you have 10 percent of the people using 90% of the bandwidth. Ends up costing the average use money.

The problem is they don't want to spend money to upgrade their ancient infrastructure to keep up with the modern world. We have the slowest internet for the highest cost around. Our internet connections are pathetic. On top of that companies like comcast do dirty things like they don't count how much bandwidth I use watching their cable TV, but they limit the internet. The kicker is, it's ALL THE SAME INTERNET. They also mess with traffic if it's VOIP that isn't sold by comcast etc. Maybe if they kept up with the rest of the world instead of raping us for money and doing dirty tactics there wouldn't be a problem. :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I live in Wyoming where population density is very low and incomes are typically rather low as well so we usually trail behind in internet speed and pay more for it than people in other places. I pay for the most expensive residential internet plan the local telephone company offers: $195 monthly for 30 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. They've had this highest tier available since about August 2012, and even then the 10 Mbps upload comes only at special request and additional monthly cost. I know a lot of you guys pay less than half as much for similar internet speeds.

The thing is, this is a local ISP (with a monopoly in my town) that still manages to deliver 90-95% of the advertised speeds consistently and without throttling, data capping, or port blocking. Not bad for a small Wyoming town of less than 1000 people, really! I'm not sure I would trade that for Comcast service even if it was a quarter the price.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That sucks, here in NJ fios was offering 50/25 + free local tv, for 50 a month...195 is a car payment.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding, right? By the time I get service like that, you might well have gigabit fiber service.

However I doubt you have a massive national forest just a mile from your house either. If only I was more outdoorsy...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
true, and if you factor in property tax or rent you are way better off even after paying 195....