Stupid question

Reaction score
I have a rudimentary question: I’m installing an 8 channel Dahua NVR with 8 IP cameras. 4 of them are the TIOC/active deterrent cams and the other 4 are just some 5MP turrets with built in mic. My customer’s home was pre-wired with CAT6 with four pre-wires for surveillance cams. Those lines run into an On-Q panel. My customer wants his NVR in his bedroom where I plan to run the remaining lines.
So, my question is, can I run a CAT6 from an open port on the NVR to a Poe switch in the onQ panel and power the cams on the prewire? Moreover, will said cams automatically populate on the screen. I know this is a simple question, I only ever ran everything from scratch.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it a POE NVR with multiple ( 8) ethernet ports? If so, I'm thinking you'd have to use the WAN port to the Distant Poe Switch in the Q-panel. which probably isnt what you want to hear. :/
Having said that I hope somebody else can chime in.
I'm thinkin the NVR is going to try and assign 1 Ip address on 1 port. ( if you have 8)
Perhaps the NVR will accept the 4 q-panel cams if they can be routed thru the WAN. maybe another switch at the NVR to have it pass the cam date to the WAN......
I know NON POE Port NVR's do it that way.....

Reaction score
Is it a POE NVR with multiple ( 8) ethernet ports? If so, I'm thinking you'd have to use the WAN port to the Distant Poe Switch in the Q-panel. which probably isnt what you want to hear. :/
Having said that I hope somebody else can chime in.
I'm thinkin the NVR is going to try and assign 1 Ip address on 1 port. ( if you have 8)
Perhaps the NVR will accept the 4 q-panel cams if they can be routed thru the WAN. maybe another switch at the NVR to have it pass the cam date to the WAN......
I know NON POE Port NVR's do it that way.....
Yeah, it’s an 8 port Poe NVR. I may have to change my installation design. I guess I can go from router to NVR then router to POE switch in panel? I’d still have to run a few lines, but not re-route 4 lines. Eh, I think I’ll come up with something. I’ll post tomorrow

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s an 8 port Poe NVR. I may have to change my installation design. I guess I can go from router to NVR then router to POE switch in panel? I’d still have to run a few lines, but not re-route 4 lines. Eh, I think I’ll come up with something. I’ll post tomorrow
Hi @LowVolt1982

You do not want to pass all the security camera traffic through the main router .. feel free to share a sketch of what you are thinking of doing.

Reaction score
Hi @LowVolt1982

You do not want to pass all the security camera traffic through the main router .. feel free to share a sketch of what you are thinking of doing.
8C23A16A-1B6E-48F1-977C-E2B5B0B21784.jpeg
So this was the best image I could find online to depict what I’m trying to pull off. I’m planning to run four new lines to the NVR in the master which is where the gateway is. Then I was going to connect the NVR to the gateway via the LAN port and from another open port on the gateway I was going to run (or tone an existing line) to a Poe switch in the panel where the pre-ran CAT6 cables are for the remaining cams. I hope I was able to convey this cogently.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 104088
So this was the best image I could find online to depict what I’m trying to pull off. I’m planning to run four new lines to the NVR in the master which is where the gateway is. Then I was going to connect the NVR to the gateway via the LAN port and from another open port on the gateway I was going to run (or tone an existing line) to a Poe switch in the panel where the pre-ran CAT6 cables are for the remaining cams. I hope I was able to convey this cogently.
Hi @LowVolt1982

I'd change that and put the NVR on the switch, that way no traffic needs to go through the router for the camera.

Otherwise the router is gonna get hammered with traffic it does not need.

All my non-WiFi LAN traffic I want on a switch not going through the router.

Reaction score
Hi @LowVolt1982

I'd change that and put the NVR on the switch, that way no traffic needs to go through the router for the camera.

Otherwise the router is gonna get hammered with traffic it does not need.

All my non-WiFi LAN traffic I want on a switch not going through the router.
So, if I’m understanding correctly, you’re suggesting I get a line from the gateway to the POE switch, but also, from the LAN port on the NVR to the Poe switch as well? will I still be able to connect 4 cams to the NVR as well as four to the switch and still get everything working properly?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use an NVR, I use Blue Iris on a PC with a POE switch, so by no means am I your NVR expert. Having said that and you held a gun to my head and said "gimme an answer" I would...
  • Assign a unique static IP to each of the cams, in the same subnet as the NVR's LAN and using IP's that are outside of the router's DHCP pool.
  • Assign a static IP to the NVR's LAN as was done for the cams.
  • Run all the cams to the POE switch.
  • Run the NVR's LAN port to the POE switch
  • Run a port from the POE switch to a LAN port of the router.
  • Basically, you would not be using the NVR's POE ports or the NVR's own private DHCP server that assigns IP's to the cams.
That schema would require just ONE Ethernet cable from the NVR in the bedroom to the POE switch in the On-Q panel.

Reaction score
What I’m also considering is using this switch all together: there are two uplinks on this POE switch; can I run a CAT6 from the lan on the NVR on one and a line from the router to the second and run the other four remaining lines to the on-q and connect all cams to this POE switch?

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I’m also considering is using this switch all together: there are two uplinks on this POE switch; can I run a CAT6 from the lan on the NVR on one and a line from the router to the second and run the other four remaining lines to the on-q and connect all cams to this POE switch?
Sounds right to me, especially since it's a gigabit switch.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
"NVR in his bedroom "

Some customers love the sound of NVR fans, esp on the poe models.
(sarcasm... )
Search this site for threads on noise, changing out the fan, sound insulation, etc.
The NVR could be anywhere, with a monitor in the bedroom.

eg: who really cares where the cable modem is? But they'll tell you where the TV should be....

Good luck!
Fastb

Reaction score
So, update on yesterday’s installation. I was overthinking the entire installation for one, moreover, I was able to re-route the four existing lines as the customer ended up wanting the NVR in the kitchen over the top cabinet as posted in above photo. I had him purchase a wireless mouse and I was able to get the install all knocked out in less than 7 hours.
Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated.