Stuttering and delays on live stream and playback

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently installed blue iris along with 2 hikvision DS-2CD3120F-I cameras hooked up via POE. The first camera works generally well but I have noticed some pretty severe stuttering when people walk by. It doesn't always happen but when it does it pretty severe and shows up during the live stream and the recording.
The second camera is having a bigger issue. This one is further away and connected through 100ft of cat5. I can cut that in half but I don't think the length of the run should affect it. There is a severe delay of 10-15 seconds in the video. Ive tried restarting everything, swapping ports on the switch and everything else I can think of but the delay is still there.

I would really appreciate any ideas you may have about these issues.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before anyone can help with your issues, you will need to post some if not all of the following information.

PC Specs
BI Video Settings for each camera
Cat 5 cable? Is it cheap low quality or grade quality?
Pictures or Videos of issues..

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before anyone can help with your issues, you will need to post some if not all of the following information.

PC Specs
BI Video Settings for each camera
Cat 5 cable? Is it cheap low quality or grade quality?
Pictures or Videos of issues..
Thanks, ill add what I can here now and provide the pics/video later.

Pc Specs
windows server 2012 r2
Intel i5-2400s
4gb memory
I do not know the brand of the ethernet cable but after it was installed and terminated I tested it and it qualified for 100mbps.
Which camera settings do you need?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
upload_2016-11-30_16-17-47.png

Screen capture the 4 screens from within BI I've highlighted in yellow... Right click on your camera and select 'Camera Properties'

Is your Ethernet cable solid cable or stranded? You should be using solid cable as stranded is typically used for short distances due to the higher attenuation levels

Last edited:

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
View attachment 12777

Screen capture the 4 screens from within BI I've highlighted in yellow... Right click on your camera and select 'Camera Properties'

Is your Ethernet cable solid cable or stranded? You should be using solid cable as stranded is typically used for short distances due to the higher attenuation levels
Unfortunately I just double checked and the cable I installed was stranded. I stupidly assumed that shielded outdoor rated cable would be solid since its obviously intended for long term install. I am going to change that , but in the mean time is there anything else that can be the issue. The cable still qualifies for 100Mpbs, I get no packet loss and an average 2ms ping from the host pc to that camera.

I have attached the screenshots. Camera 1 is the one that stutters and has an ip ending in 90. Alley has the large delay and ends in 92.
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.44.59 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.45.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.45.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.45.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.45.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.46.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.46.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.46.39 AM.png

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From within the record tab can you post the screen from the 'file format and compression'?
Also can you post your camera video / image settings.

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From within the record tab can you post the screen from the 'file format and compression'?
Also can you post your camera video / image settings.
Here are the "file format and compression" settings. I wasn't sure which video settings you were asking for so I sent both. I only changed the frame interval last night when I was reading about some other settings. The issue existed before I dropped it to 25.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt stranded cable is really a problem -- 100 feet is only about a third of the allowed distance.

Direct to disk I think is the most likely setting to help, since it will cut CPU usage a lot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you open a continuos ping to the cameras do u get any packet loss? like @bp2008 im doubting its your cable right now.. but if you suspect it is simply bench test it with a short prefab cable and see if the problem still occurs.

outside of BlueIris do you observe the same behavior? such as on the cameras WebUI or with the Hik Apps?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
also, one of your cams has the iframe interval set to 50..set it to match your fps...also increase your receive buffer to 20mb
You might also want to reduce fps to 15 as 25 is severe overkill

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I doubt stranded cable is really a problem -- 100 feet is only about a third of the allowed distance.

Direct to disk I think is the most likely setting to help, since it will cut CPU usage a lot.
Im going to leave the stranded for now and see if these software settings can resolve the issue, but eventually Ill probably change the cable out anyway.

if you open a continuos ping to the cameras do u get any packet loss? like @bp2008 im doubting its your cable right now.. but if you suspect it is simply bench test it with a short prefab cable and see if the problem still occurs.

outside of BlueIris do you observe the same behavior? such as on the cameras WebUI or with the Hik Apps?
Ive done plenty of ping test and never see any loss or significant latency. I just entered the settings that cyberwolf and you guys mentioned and ill see if there is any improvement. If there isnt im going to run a piece of solid cat5e directly to the camera (about half the length of snaking it around the house) and see what happens.
also, one of your cams has the iframe interval set to 50..set it to match your fps...also increase your receive buffer to 20mb
You might also want to reduce fps to 15 as 25 is severe overkill
I just did. Ill report back when I can test the cameras.

Thomas B

Young grasshopper
Reaction score