Sub $100 USD IP Camera Recommendations?

bundy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am sold on getting a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z as my main front door camera from the reviews on here it looks great. (Have one on Order from Andy from Empire Technology when stock comes in)

However am hoping to get a second (less expensive) Cam to cover another doorway of our house. It will work as a secondary to cover the entire front area of the house. (They would need to pass the Dahua first) The Camera will be mounted externally but be well sheltered from the elements (Under a Porch)

I saw a recommendation elsewhere for a Hikvision Camera that fits my price point DS-2CD3345-I

Full HD 4MP Multi language CCTV Camera DS 2CD3345 I POE IPC ONVIF Support Waterproof Camera H.265 for Camera Security-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But not knowing enough about Cameras dont know where it sits in the scheme of things. Appreciate any advice or alternatives the wise members here may have.

Thanks

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thats the Chinese version... no firmware upgrade on that .. plus I would get all Hikvision or all Dahua...just to make setting up easier..esp if Im using a nvr

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

bundy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks - Yes I was aware it was the "hacked" Chinese version so can not update Firmware, but at 1/3rd the price of the Dahua (if it is a reasonably good unit ) is tempting as a second Cam

In a couple of years I expect I may need to upgrade but no need to tell anyone here how quickly Tech changes....

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks - Yes I was aware it was the "hacked" Chinese version so can not update Firmware, but at 1/3rd the price of the Dahua (if it is a reasonably good unit ) is tempting as a second Cam

In a couple of years I expect I may need to upgrade but no need to tell anyone here how quickly Tech changes....
I actually own 6 of the chinese hacked Hikvision cameras... 2 have a problem.with password as of now maybe my fault... but totally unable to reset password. The company i bought it from sends me xml reset file and it says reset failed. So nothing I can do. They have asked to send both cameras back at my expense. Dont know if I would do this again.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

bundy

n3wb
Reaction score
are you sure you dont want to spend a lil more money? Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN)

you can find em for under $150 if you look hard enough, though its now called: SD29204T-GN
I'll be honest @nayr I dont really know what I want / need.

In reality we live in a really good neighbourhood 99.9% of the time there isn't a problem. The thing that got me thinking Cam surveillance was some lowlife stole my bike from the front porch 2 days ago. I have a QNAP NAS already so thought why not just bolt on a couple of cameras. (Plus I like tinkering with toys like this)

So in a nutshell I want something decent but am mindful of not going overboard. (But as have read here many times no point having a camera it at all if you can't reasonably ID who is hanging around.)

If I can get something decent though Andy may be able to source for me and ship at the same time and save a few $$ in freight.Or do I bite the bullet and get 2 of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z ??

As you can see I'm pretty confused, greatly appreciate (and in need of) the advice. :confused:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just get two starlight turrets, the'll go anywhere you decide to put em and do very well.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like the Hiks that you suggest as I have those and all is good, if you want Dahua to have the same I would consider this one as a mic might be nice and true WDR(120dB):

Aliexpress.com : Buy DaHua 4MP IP Camera IPC HDW4421C Day/ Night infrared CCTV POE Camera Support IP67 Waterproof 1080P Dome Camera from Reliable camera xl suppliers on XinRay Store
I had two of these, one got sent back for a hikvision 2342 and I'm still thinking about sending the second one back. I could never get the settings right,like I could with the hik 2342. Also thought that this camera would have the same image quality as the hik 2342 and it doesn't the hik is much better. Also check your laws when recording audio.