Subscription services

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else but I was wondering what companies people on here recommend for uploading your footage to the cloud?

Yesterday I received a new Dahua IP camera and was wondering if I should go the route of using a simple subscription for 1 camera or using the motion detection and email snapshot?

- and/or possibly a cheap NVR (Dahua 4104P?) for maybe 1 or 2 more cameras later (I have an old D1 system with 4 cams but for intruder purposes I only really need 1 for the driveway and maybe another looking out the back so I can spy on my animals

anyway after a brief search I found CAMERA FTP and Angel Cam and Ivideon

I'm thinking 24 hours - 3 days would be enough if you came home and found your house emptied out

but I was wondering on the video size and bitrate of these services and if anyone recommends any other companies?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else but I was wondering what companies people on here recommend for uploading your footage to the cloud?

Yesterday I received a new Dahua IP camera and was wondering if I should go the route of using a simple subscription for 1 camera or using the motion detection and email snapshot?

- and/or possibly a cheap NVR (Dahua 4104P?) for maybe 1 or 2 more cameras later (I have an old D1 system with 4 cams but for intruder purposes I only really need 1 for the driveway and maybe another looking out the back so I can spy on my animals

I'm thinking 24 hours - 3 days would be enough if you came home and found your house emptied out

but I was wondering on the video size and bitrate of these services and if anyone recommends any other companies?
Why waste your money, bandwidth and limit recording? Why rely on a remote connection?
Store locally, if paranoid hide an NVR....

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you considered buying an NVR and setting it up in a nondescript / hidden location?

Also, from what I've read here, the email for the snapshots doesn't always work right, but the push notifications on the Dahua app work great.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

NO

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you considered buying an NVR and setting it up in a nondescript / hidden location?

Also, from what I've read here, the email for the snapshots doesn't always work right, but the push notifications on the Dahua app work great.
Emails work pretty good for me with Gmail, and they get more than enough snapshots, there's no real need for continuous video of nothing.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
24/7 recording locally, hide the PC if using blue iris or secure/hide the NVR. Hard drive space is CHEAP, record 24/7 to assure nothing is ever missed. To many times people say "record motion only" - this is fine if you have a tiny area like a front porch with no sight of anything else. However, if your front porch camera catches a glimpse of a sidewalk, or a driveway cam see's the street why not have 24/7.

Here is the scenario - an armed robbery is committed a few doors down from you. The people know exactly what time the robbers came in and left. When they sped away they passed your house. Your "motion only" recording settings would have nothing, however your 24/7 recording would allow you to review maybe your driveway camera and possibly porch camera to provide images of getaway vehicle...

Always better to have video of nothing then have nothing of something...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
24/7 recording locally, hide the PC if using blue iris or secure/hide the NVR. Hard drive space is CHEAP, record 24/7 to assure nothing is ever missed. To many times people say "record motion only" - this is fine if you have a tiny area like a front porch with no sight of anything else. However, if your front porch camera catches a glimpse of a sidewalk, or a driveway cam see's the street why not have 24/7.

Here is the scenario - an armed robbery is committed a few doors down from you. The people know exactly what time the robbers came in and left. When they sped away they passed your house. Your "motion only" recording settings would have nothing, however your 24/7 recording would allow you to review maybe your driveway camera and possibly porch camera to provide images of getaway vehicle...

Always better to have video of nothing then have nothing of something...
Correct, but if someone breaks into your house, a hidden NVR would be ultimate but snapshots in email should do the job if you've got motion and sensors and stuff set up right.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
if you've got motion and sensors and stuff set up right.
That's why you run motion or line crossing in parallel to 24/7. Even though the email snap shots are low res crap, you are right, something is better than nothing in the event the recording device is taken.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Putting a micro sd card in the camera would keep another copy of events available if for some reason your pc / NVR were stolen or damaged.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Putting a micro sd card in the camera would keep another copy of events available if for some reason your pc / NVR were stolen or damaged.
thinkin about it, don't really feel like messing with my turret that is already up and perfectly adjusted though lol!

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should probably clarify

my driveway is 100m long and cars have to drive down in full view of the camera

I didn't know that email snapshots were low res?

I was thinking of one of those NVRs because,

1. they are easier to hide than a obvious PC but still anyone breaking in will know that there are cameras and probably hunt down the system

(maybe could put one in the loft but its hot up there and currently there are mice that I cant seem to get rid of (used traps, bait and rat zapper - avoids them all)

2. NVR is probably a lot more power efficient than a PC running all the time?

I think one of those subscription services was only like $5 month for 1 cam and an NVR costs $150

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

1. they are easier to hide than a obvious PC but still anyone breaking in will know that there are cameras and probably hunt down the system

(maybe could put one in the loft but its hot up there and currently there are mice that I cant seem to get rid of (used traps, bait and rat zapper - avoids them all)

I think one of those subscription services was only like $5 month for 1 cam and an NVR costs $150

an NVR is just a computer that runs one piece of software, might be more efficient but probably not too much more. you'd be better off to record to one of those western digital NAS drives with one drive in it, or have snapshots ftp'ed to it, I dunno what options the NVR's have for that stuff, I've only ever used zoneminder and blue iris. unless you've got amazing upload on your internet cloud crap is going to suck anyways, it's not like it will be streaming off site in full res in real time.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

99% of the time they won't be hunting down your camera stuff. They'll be quickly going through the typical hiding spots (or obvious) for money, jewels, guns, or easily pawned items. Their goal is to get in, get what they can, then get out as fast as possible.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
99% of the time they won't be hunting down your camera stuff. They'll be quickly going through the typical hiding spots (or obvious) for money, jewels, guns, or easily pawned items. Their goal is to get in, get what they can, then get out as fast as possible.
yep, they may wear a mask, but if they see cameras, and especially if you have some sort of siren or something that goes off or signs about an alarm system, they know they have limited time before someone shows up, they aint fartin around with tryin to steal the camera machine, they are grabbing stuff they can sell and haulin ass.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Tis why I'm looking for a siren option for the sensors that never false alert like the door sensors. and also be able to activate remotely. I could hook something to the BI machine or domoticz machine.

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As my neighbours are over 100m away and can't see a lot of what is going on at my place I actually think that far from opportunists breaking in for a quick cash grab I would be more likely to encounter burglars that drive a truck up and empty the entire contents out and if they would do this then they would hunt down any cam recording system

But I could just use my old analogue system as a decoy and hide a small 4ch NVR (another reason for an NVR over computer?)

I was wondering if there are any guides for setting up my new camera as the menus are quite daunting. I like the motion detection graph with threshholds ( I could never really get it to work on my analogue system due to tall grass waving in the wind and changing light conditions)
but I'm not sure what all the other modes are for, face detection, car, tripwire etc.

Am I also right in thinking if I use my computer instead of an NVR then I have to use some software like Ispy or Blue Iris?

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set mine to record 24/7. Doesn't matter what happens or if an alert fails to function, it will be recorded.

Yes on the software question (if you use your own pc).

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
If they show up with a truck you better just hope your system alerted you and you can get a cop there in time or show up yourself

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I mean is as my street is semi rural - people on foot (your common burglar?) don't just walk up my street

I was discussing security cams with my neighbour a few weeks ago because he had a quote of a couple of grand for a system and he said at one of his previous places a rental house across the road that had people moving in and out a fair bit had a truck and burglars turn up and empty the place out and he saw but didn't know they weren't legit - who would be bold enough to go over and start questioning people?