Sudden Increase in False Alarms in Blue Iris

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone; I have learned so much here and appreciate all the great information. I have 3 Andy cams (An IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP varifocal and two IPC-T5542TM-AS 3.6MM, and Blue Iris 5 (on a dedicated WIN 10 PC), B.I. was purchased from the ipcamtalk store. I am slowly building my system and only have one IPC-T5442TM-AS in use. I have been using it in front of the garage for about a month and I typically get no more than 4 - 5 alerts from 10 P.M. - 6:00 A.M. I am recording 24/7 and the alerts I see are the orange "lightning bolts" when I review the footage in the A.M. The motion/alerts is almost always cars passing by, on rare occasion someone is walking by late.

For the last two days, I am getting about 4 alerts per hour, all night long and I can see nothing causing the alerts. No settings have been changed. In fact I am basically running default settings with motion enabled, continuous recording, and no zones/no zone crossing setup.

Any thoughts on why this is occurring. I did a search and did not spot anything relevant.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am adding an update since the problem appeared it went away equally fast, the past three nights it is back to normal.

I am guessing wind and trees, blowing clouds, something like that was triggering the alerts, whatever happened, it is back working as expected.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a "Bad Weather" profile that dials back on the sensitivity and the make time. I switch to it if the weather is kicking up to reduce the false alarms.

I know that Deepstack and AI may be a better solution but I've not yet started to eat that elephant "yet"!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a "Bad Weather" profile that dials back on the sensitivity and the make time. I switch to it if the weather is kicking up to reduce the false alarms.

I know that Deepstack and AI may be a better solution but I've not yet started to eat that elephant "yet"!
You would still need that bad weather profile or your unit will be pinging Deepstack all night. Depending on your computer and number of cameras, this could result in maxing out the CPU!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
IR also attracts bugs. Bugs will set off the motion sensors. Most of the bugs die off during the winter, but as the weather gets warmer we are seeing more bugs.

If it is bugs causing the motion detection, you have two main options. Retune the detection to try to avoid the bugs (but this is rarely successful because bugs flying close to the camera will appear quite large) or use off-camera IR and turn your camera's IR off. The bugs will be attracted to the off camera IR and more importantly won't be illuminated by the in-camera IR. This will definitely reduce the number of bug related motion events.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the added information and now that I think about it, I did notice lots of flying bugs when reviewing the video over the two nights which had lots of alerts. On a typical night, no bugs.